• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Corp Review

The following was posted on Franks site IrishAirPics.com

29 July 2004,05:18

Hi there,

The Freedom Institute will be undertaking a review of all branches of the Irish Defence Forces over the next few months, which will make specific recommendations to government about how best to develop the military going forward.

I'd be very keen to work with anyone who is interested in contributing to our report. Given the paucity of organisations in the State working to promote the interests of the Air Corps, we'd be very appreciative if anyone here would help us ensure that the report is of the highest standard, and reflects what the Air Corps requires going forward.

If you'd like to help, please email freedom@freedominst.org with "AIR CORPS" in the subject line, and I'll get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
    Philip O'Sullivan
    FI Director of Policy
    Edited by freedominst on 29 July 2004,05:20

freedominst
    Recruit
    Group: Members

Just to clear up any confusion:

The Freedom Institute is a think tank which espouses four tenets - pro-freedom, pro-enterprise, more security and less government.

Given the appalling nature of cutbacks to the Defence Forces in recent years (1.6% of GNP in 1991, 0.8% of GNP in 2003), we in the FI hold that what the Defence Forces needs is a radical shake-up, and a significant injection of capital to modernise itself.

At the moment, we've prepared costed plans for the Naval Service, and looking at the Air Corps I can see huge opportunities to modernise it, and reposition it so it focuses on its core competencies. Having read the discussions on this website, I can see that there are many people out there who have excellent ideas for the Air Corps, and I'm inviting you all to help out with the report.

Philip
    posullivan@freedominst.org

Are they a bunch of walters or for real? Maybe we should invite them over here?
    Meh.

Comment

It's too late..... they're already here

DUN DUN DUN

Comment

They want random people who they don't know to advise them on future procurement policy and the reform of a military branch?
        Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

I guess so. After all, one would think this board would attract members of the Irish military. :D
          "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Have they been asked by the government to do this?

Comment

No.

Comment

It's a waste of time then

Comment

Originally posted by mutter nutter (again)
                  It's a waste of time then
                  Not necessarily. One only has to look at the US to realise the potential success of Non-Governmental pressure groups in influencing policy.
                  Meh.

Comment

They're a bunch of libertarians all about I'lll have my freedom and screw everyone else...a more extreme version of the PDs.
                    They're opposed to the smoking ban, to social welfare, to international aid, public health services and taxation in general.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Sounds good to me.
                      Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly
                        They're a bunch of libertarians all about I'lll have my freedom and screw everyone else...a more extreme version of the PDs.
                        They're opposed to the smoking ban, to social welfare, to international aid, public health services and taxation in general.
                        Ohh........goody

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly
                          Um...I'm against liberal welfare and taxation....then again I'm pretty much a libertarian strong on defense. :D
                          "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Working...
                          X