Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why we need Helicopters/ Disaster Imminent(Merged)..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmax Now between the coast guard and the Aer corp there are 6 S-61's, 5 with winches
    I think your wrong there mate, and if not then when did this happen!!????
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Waterford,
      Shannon,
      Dublin,

and the winchless Sligo one

there you go. Six

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Sligo one has a winch, just short of winchmen some of the time..

Comment

There was a tender in the paper about a fortnight ago, forgot to post it here, from the Dept. of Defence, looking for the use of a boat suitable for SAR winching practice, to be based in the North West - is the A/C planning on staying at the SAR thing on some level?

Comment

Mr. Liam Kirwan Director of the Irish Coastguard when asked for his reaction to the Defence Minister's decision last December to discontinue the Irish Air Corps involvement in Search and Rescue in the NW said, "the Air Corps is only a service provider and they have informed us that they cannot meet the standard". Mr. Kirwan said, "the estimated cost of operating 3 Search and Rescue bases by a civilian operator will cost €19 million per year, that's for everything - for six helicopters, all training, flying hours, fuel and VAT at 21%."
            I have to admit I don't know much about the Coastguard but found this on Marine Times News http://www.marinetimes.ie/Assets/_ar...04_news_09.htm

he states quite clearly the Coastguard have/will have 6 helicopters anyone know what's what?

IAS

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus
              I think your wrong there mate, and if not then when did this happen!!????

1)EI MES with winch(Dublin)
              2)EI SAR with winch (waterford)
              3)EI RCG with winch (Shannon)
              4)SK 257 sonn to be EI CXS with winch (Sligo)
              5)EI CZN with winch (Shannon)
              6)EI CNL without winch (Waterford)

The six heli's have been in country well over a year.

Comment

why does the wa'ford heli have no winch?
                Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

The Waterford heli does have a winch,EI SAR is the frontline aircraft with winch,EI CNL is a backup.If for any reason SAR goes off line for scheduled or unscheduled maintainence CNL will be used, its just a matter of moving the winch from one aircraft to another which can be done quickly.

Comment

I heard from an employee of CHC that the parent company is in the process of replacing their older aircraft,many of which are engaged in SAR here.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What if the aircraft is in maintainance because of the winch.

Comment

CHC take delivery of an S-92 towards the end of this year.It will be operating in the North sea,they are also due to take delivery of theEC- 225 which is the latest puma.
                        Dev
                        They also have spare winches which includes two types, a standard winch and a high speed winch, the later been used on the western sea board.

Comment

On the subject of winches, the Dauphin at the display in Kerry at the weekend has had its winch removed and its one of only 2(?) still flying so if a major incident were to happen, the Dauphins would probably be of little use.
                          Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Tha editorial piece makes me so f*cking angry, wonder if groucho who was so quick to label Smiths "long fingering" on other purchases, will consider reviewing the situation.

Until now, I couldnt believe that a sane govt would pay millions for PWC reports, agree to them, begin procurement spending another few bob on drafting tenders etc, f*ck THAT up and then decide to blow even more cash in the long run on paying someone else to do the job that, we've (yes you guessed it!) already spent millions in training our OWN citizens to do!!!!

Not only that, but they even have the balls to try and justify replacing 12 rotory aircraft with 6, claiming its a win win situation for the Air Corps!

Another example of Berties Babes ever present Irish solutions to Irish problems, procrastination and borrowing Peter to pay Paul.
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Lets face it we need, minimum, a fleet of 25 - 30 black hawks for the army/air corp to cover homeland and overseas missions and approx 8 chinooks. For gods sake the garda nearly have more helios than the army at present. The air corp need to take back control of SAR on the west coast as well.
                              Like I have said before 10500 votes in the defence forces, time to let the government know this, time they invested.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner75
                                Lets face it we need, minimum, a fleet of 25 - 30 black hawks for the army/air corp to cover homeland and overseas missions and approx 8 chinooks. .
                                Thats a joke right? Do you have any idea of A) the cost of purchase B) the cost of running C) the manpower needed, to run a fleet of helicopters that large.
                                Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Working...
                                X