Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why we need Helicopters/ Disaster Imminent(Merged)..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why we need Helicopters/ Disaster Imminent(Merged)..

Not that far away...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Tell that to the politicians and civil servants.

When they look at pictures like this they don't think 'Why we need helicopters' - they think 'Aren't the RAF great all the same, always at the end of a phone'.

A similar disaster here may not be far off - remember the landslides in Galway and Mayo last year?. What will the pols and penpushers say when we can't pluck people from a flooded village because we don't have the helicopters to do it?

God forbid, but people may have to die - be it civilians in flooded village or sinking ferry, or soldiers trapped under fire in a Liberian jungle - before the powers that be cop on.

Comment

Its sadly ironic that some of the units involved in the above photos may be due for axing under the next rounds of MoD "cost savings". RNAS Culdrose,which was involved in the other flash flood rescue in Cornwall,is also rumoured to be on the cutback list.

It seems that we are not unique in having a blinkered near sighted administration.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It seems that we are not unique in having a blinkered near sighted administration
        Yeah, but we will at least be getting new Chinooks, Lynxes, Merlins, NH90s (possibly), aircraft carriers, frigates, Typhoons, F35s, attack helicopters, tranports, submarines etc. It might be near sighted but it does still provide, even if its mostly slowly, and the stuff can be a bit dodgy.
        Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

It was after a major storm, that the decision to buy the Alouettes was made.

Comment

This is more like what we need helis for
            Attached Files
            Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Helicopters are a way of doing things faster. Time is money, so if you are doing something faster you're saving money. Life has taught me the bitter lesson that, eventually, it's always about the money.

I have a theory, which I will someday research, that it would be cheaper or of a similar cost to have helicopters doing air ambulance service as compared to a regular ambulance. I would guess that one air ambulance in the country would easily do the work of four retro fitted transits.

I have a similar feeling about helis doing taxi service for troops to camp etc. Anyone know where these things can be costed? Cost of heli, maintenance, fuel, staff etc, life span etc with comparable figures for your ambulances/trucks.
              Take these men and women for your example.
              Like them, remember that posterity can only
              be for the free; that freedom is the sure
              possession of those who have the
              courage to defend it.
              Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
              If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

JackNoble has a degree in aeronautical engineering - maybe he knows.
                www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
                  Helicopters are a way of doing things faster. Time is money, so if you are doing something faster you're saving money. Life has taught me the bitter lesson that, eventually, it's always about the money.

I have a theory, which I will someday research, that it would be cheaper or of a similar cost to have helicopters doing air ambulance service as compared to a regular ambulance. I would guess that one air ambulance in the country would easily do the work of four retro fitted transits.

I have a similar feeling about helis doing taxi service for troops to camp etc. Anyone know where these things can be costed? Cost of heli, maintenance, fuel, staff etc, life span etc with comparable figures for your ambulances/trucks.
                  My advice is less guessing and considerably more research.
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

we don't have the helicopters to do it?
                    There are 4 S61s (which bear a distinct family relationship to the Sea Kings pictured above) on call and available in Ireland right now for just this type of work. Whats this 'no helicopters' crap about?

Comment

Disaster Imminent!

In light of the recent close encounters two British communities at the hands of nature, not forgetting the highly publicized rescue of the British sailors off OUR costline, and the other day to day rescues we dont always hear about I am worried and appauld.

I saw on the ITV new how within in 30 mins there were seven helicopters on the scean of the Cornwall village which was almost swept away. SEVEN. In this area of the UK alone. What would or could be muster if this disaster hit a wee village in west Kerry?

I'm not sure of the answer. Maybe someone could enlighten me. How many chopers do he have in the whole bloody country could aid such a disaster in a semi decently quick fashion with a realistic view of saveing lives? How long would it take for the UK to come once again to OUR rescue?

We are now a first world country. We are a bloody rich country. It is crazy and to be quite honest utterly parasitic the way we look to the UK to take care of our problems in this regard because our government are too tight or lack the balls to press ahead dispite and develop a comprehensive rescue nexwork around our shores!

New Zealand is a country with a population akin to our own. How ever they are not as wealthy as us, yet they have a Navy and Air Force that is capable or providing good rescue cover off their shores.

Are we really and independant nation? I am begining to wonder. We have been hiding behind the UK for too long. Lets stand up and look after ourselfs.

Who said the Scots were the tight men of Europe? Ireland put your hand up and hang your head in shame!

Comment

I was actually going to post some similar to this but you beat me to it .
                        The coast guard have 3 sea kings + the Air Corps one at Sligo. Certainly if the same thing that happened in Boscastle were to happen on the west coast somewhere the consequences would be disasterous. It would be even worse if it were to happen next jan onwards once the Dauphins are gone. The alouettes would be sent of course but theres the problem of size, limited range, reliability etc with them. If all four Sea Kings were sent then the rest of Ireland would be without air rescue which is a scary thought. Without a doubt a call would go to Aldergrove and the RAF would send down some Sea Kings, Pumas or Lynxs but I agree , in this day and age in a rich country like Ireland it is a farce that we are unable to cope with a situation like that in Boscastle. Things should get better if helis like the Blackhawk or AB139 are aquired. The situation would still be dreadful if its the EC145 thats selected.
                        Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

Actually the 4 S-61s are Dedicated to Sea Based SAR and operations in support of Mountain Rescue, that does not mean however that they would not respond to a similar incident in Ireland, It just means that (Officially) there are no plans in place for it.

Comment

By shouting encouragement?
                            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

OK the RAF and Fleet Air Arm will be providing Typhoons, F35s, Nimrod MRA4s and Merlin helicopters for Irelands air defence and to rescue its citizens in the near future when the IAC will have the 2 CASAs, 8 PC9 and half a dozen utility helicopters.

Whilst the odds are that the RAF or Royal Navy and Fleet Air Arm will come running to your aid you'll probably have to wait a while till the Taiosech decides if its politically ok for flights of Typhoons to start shooting stuff down in Irish airspace or whether its better for the IAC to scramble the PC-9s.

Well, ok, thats the extreme version. But still, we could still end up doing humanitarian flights. It'll be the only chance in the near future for the Irish to see modern medium lift helicopters in Irish skies as a big Merlin swoops in overhead.
                              Last edited by ForkTailedDevil; 20 August 2004, 05:25.
                              Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Working...
                              X