PC-9's go active

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-9's go active

A PC-9 was seen on thursday in Bal' with gun and rocket pods fitted.
    They are to do air-to-ground shooting in the next few weeks, at a floating target at sea, location presently unknown, [to me anyway].
    Zulu, of Robot Wars, fame built the target,[Ch***t, it will probally fire back!! ]
    Last edited by Turkey; 27 November 2004, 19:36.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Floating target at sea probably means Gormanston
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Just been watching the PC9s strafe said sea target in Gormonston

It looked like a floating Pallette with illuminous orange plastic sheet target sitting up on it.

My girlfriend lives nearby and weve been out with Binocs and Camera (pity its a standard kodak, ive no decent camera sorry!)

Was VERY impressive to watch, some of the locals were dropping up to watch. Before its asked, we were NOT on the beach or encroaching the red flagged areas.

The thunder of the guns was something else as was the devastation caused to the target and water around it. They look SO much more zippy and powerful than the old Marchettis, great sight to see the roundel on them, color scheme very effective giving the irish weather. I think they had gun pods.

You couldnt even hear the guns until he had broken from the dive and the target had been hit, but they were VERY loud.

There were definitely 4 hardpoints, they all looked to be carrying something, 2 on each wing, not sure if they were carrying rocket pods, but one hardpoint on each wing definitely had gun pods.

Excellent site to see, im back off out for more watching, i think theyll get one more target session in today if the light holds.

They are as far as i know operating from BAL, GRMO is either sold, going to be, or at least still not in use since they Aircorps pulled out, not sure if the runway is even maintained anymore or if there are fire tenders there still.

Chocs away
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I just seen them coming down on the train to Dublin. They were flying over the railway to the sea, flying pretty low. Looked the business :D

Comment

so any photos at all?

why didnt i go home this weekend....:(

Comment

If anyone was listening to Gerry Ryan this morning a woman rang in about them fireing off the coast near her house (not complaining just wondering what they were). Air Corp press office rang in for a chat aswell...

Comment

Heard that this morning as well. Press office was straight onto the show within minutes of the womans call.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper
                Heard that this morning as well. Press office was straight onto the show within minutes of the womans call.
                Talk about suspense...

WHAT WAS SAID,

some of us were in work and dont have access to crap talk sho... sorry i mean "Ryan on the Radio".

Hope it was all good, the locals in gormo have never had a problem with range practices before (be they naval, aircorps, arty or infy), i should know, i live there. They support the army and dont want to see the old airstrip gone to be honest.
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

What time were they on the radio ?

Comment

Originally posted by dangermouse
                    What time were they on the radio ?
                    Just after 10am I think.

Not alot was said just what they were up to (fireing on a target in the sea) and they said they would get Jerry up in one soon

I think you can get the show on the RTE website but I haven't looked my self.

Comment

Heard from franks site that according to a commandant speaking on the Gerry Ryan Show this morning, The Irish PC-9 has 2 x 12.7mm machine guns and 2 x 2.75" Rocket pods.

Comment

remember ronan keating went up in a fouga and it was televised?

hopefully theyll do it with mr ryan

Comment

Maybe they can test the ejector seat while he is up there...preferably while flying low level...Inverted.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Was at a seminar this morning and nearly got to see a video of the A/G exercise this morning but there was a f**k up in the equipment being used did however there was a good video of the PC9's in a A/A role with the camera positioned behind the HUD, very impressive.

Comment

*A COMPLETE aside*

Shut up about gerry, he's the best of a bad lot (and he has fit daughters!)

*back on track*

Oh whyyy didn't I put Sligo IT on my CAO ?
                              If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Working...
                              X