Bring Avro Cadet 'C7' home !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Avro Cadet 'C7' home !

If you are interested in Irish military heritage - read on.
    If not, this thread will not interest you.

As some of you may be aware, I have started a 'campaign' on irishairpics.com to bring Avro Cadet 'C7' back to Baldonnel.

Avro Cadet 'C7' is the oldest Irish Air Corps aircraft in existence, and is currently for sale in New Zealand. It has been restored to airworthy condition over many years and regularly attends air shows in New Zealand.
    It is also painted in it's original Air Corps colour scheme.

The Air Corps were trying to purchase this aircraft a few years ago, but the dept of finance stopped the negotiatons.
    The aircraft is now for sale on the open market.
    Go to www.avrocadet.com for more details.

With so much money available in Ireland today, I believe it is shameful that the oldest Irish military aircraft in the world is not being purchased for the State !!

(In most other countries, they would be 'pulling out the stops' to buy such an aircraft !)

If finance is the problem, then (for example) one or two of the recently-withdrawn Marchetti planes could be 'demilitarized' and sold on the open market. (Marchettis can fetch c.$150,000 each. See planecheck.com )

Therefore, I ask that you send a letter or email to Mr. Willie O'Dea T.D., Minister for Defence, requesting that Avro Cadet 'C7' be purchased and returned to Ireland where it belongs.

Email: minister@defence.irlgov.ie

Postal Address:
    Mr. Willie O'Dea T.D.,
    Minister for Defence,
    Dept of Defence,
    Parkgate,
    Infirmary Road,
    Dublin 7.

I have written a lenghty letter to the Minister and many irishairpics members have sent emails (and been acknowledged).
    However, the more emails and letters he recieves, the better the chances of action on this matter.

Regards,

Silver.

Avro Cadet 'C7'.

(N.B. - I have no connection whatsoever with the owner of this aircraft. I merely wish to see our oldest military aircraft back in Baldonnel)
    Last edited by Silver; 12 March 2005, 19:59.
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Good stuff ..Iam in total agreement with this.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

is there a register of AC planes and where they presently are now,
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Did an Irish Aer Corps museum ever get finished and is it open to the general public? Silver, will email Mr O'Dea now, thanks for bringing this to everyones attention.
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Poor old Mr O'Dea must hate IMO at this point

Comment

Wold it not be better to spend the money on more pc-9s?? i know it is the oldest air corps plane, but should they not be moving forward?
            The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

The money wouldnt buy a PC-9 tyre.

It could however buy some members of the Army extra kit which they should have anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
                Poor old Mr O'Dea must hate IMO at this point
                Not IMO,Just Silver

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Try this site for IAC old banger info: http://www.iol.ie/~asire/aircorps.html
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Gasplug
                    Wold it not be better to spend the money on more pc-9s?? i know it is the oldest air corps plane, but should they not be moving forward?
                    Don't say that too loud, Silver might have an embolism.

If extra funds (i.e. not from existing DF budget) were made available it would be a good buy. What about public donations or corporate sponsorship?
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by Gasplug
                      If you can supply new PC-9's for €151,000 each, I'm sure the DoD would buy 20 of them !
                      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

going off of thread here but got talking to one of the guys who designed the PC-9
                        hes retired now but still keeps his finger in the cake
                        Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

(Bosco) and?

Comment

You must be joking, 151,000 on a biplane? they could do so many other better things with that amount of money! please tell me you are taking the piss??
                            The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

The avro cadet was the cessna 152 of its day. Barely makes a note in aviation history, apart from being one of the many excellent aircraft designed by Alliott Verdon Roe and Roy Chadwick,who also came up with the Avro 504,Avro Tutor,Avro Anson,Avro Lancaster, Avro Shackelton and Avro Vulcan,which he designed,but never got to see flying,being killed in a crash while testing The Avro Tudor 11.

Only 105 cadets were built.

It is the oldest surviving aircraft,but only by 5 years,as Walrus N18 is on display at Yeovilton,delivered on 03/03/39 to C7's delivery in 08/09/34. Surely more historically significant than C7?

Will this be the beginning of an attempt to return all former air corps aircraft to the Air Corps,now that the current owners no longer have use for it? Most of the T9s are still flying either in the UK or US...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X