This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadetship 2005. How many applicants?

Just as a matter of interest, how many people from the board applied this year and does anyone have any idea of the numbers of applicants to the Air Corps compared to the Army/Navy?
    "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

I have applied this year. I have been speaking to a few DF personnel and they said that around 500 people usually apply for the Air Corps.. 500 people to fill 6 - 8 places..Its a damn tough competition!!

Comment

You've said it. Roughly a one-in-a hundred odds from the outset. I imagine you can knock a good few off the initial number of applicants though especially after the first interview. Still, a damn tough one as you say

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Yea I would agree with you there mate. Seeing as the fitness test is first, I'd say it will knock quite a few out of the competition. Hows you preparation going Eddie??

Comment

For the army the 1st interview is before the fitness test this year so I presume it's the same for the Air Corps.

Comment

Unless things have radically changed in the last couple of years, the fitness & medical are among the last things you do.
            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I was told by numerous DF personnel that the fitness test for all cadets is first this year..

Comment

I also thought the fitness was first this year.At least that's what I understand from the brochure:

" SELECTION PROCEDURE
                Preliminary screening will commence in April 2005. The subsequent stages of the selection
                procedure will commence in June 2005 (for Leaving Certificate candidates after completion of
                the Leaving Certificate). Candidates, if selected, will be required to attend for the various
                stages of the selection procedure on the dates and times notified. Candidates who fail to
                attend for any stage of the selection procedure will be disqualified from participation in any
                further stages of that competition.
                a. Preliminary Screening Interviews
                (1) Physical Fitness Test. In order to qualify for a Cadetship candidates will be
                required to undergo a physical fitness test which is designed to assess their potential
                to undergo the rigours of military training. Candidates must attain the minimum
                standard laid down in order to proceed in the competition.
                (see Annex ‘A’ for details of the test).
                (2) Preliminary Interview. Preliminary Interviews will be held at each of the centres
                indicated on the application form, provided that there are a sufficient number of
                candidates for each centre.
                (3) Consent Form Authorisation. Candidates who are invited to attend before an
                Interview Board will be required to complete and sign a Consent Form that, pursuant
                to Section 8 of the Data Protection Act, 1988, will authorise the Garda
                Síochána to furnish to the Defence Forces either, a statement that there are no
                convictions recorded against a candidate, or a statement of convictions, as the case
                may be. In the case of candidates under 18 years of age, his/her parent or guardian
                shall be required to complete the Consent Form.
                Note: Success at the preliminary screening entitles a candidate to proceed to the
                next stage of the selection process."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

I thought that from reading the brochure as well but apparently it's not. Phone the compeitions section: 01-8042144 if you want to find out the dates for everything

Comment

last year the fitness was first but they are continuously reviewing the program. Its probably so that people will take the fitness a bit more serious if they pass the preliminary interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Dillon
                      I also thought the fitness was first this year.At least that's what I understand from the brochure:

"
                      a. Preliminary Screening Interviews
                      (1) Physical Fitness Test. In order to qualify for a Cadetship candidates will be
                      required to undergo a physical fitness test which is designed to assess their potential
                      to undergo the rigours of military training. Candidates must attain the minimum
                      standard laid down in order to proceed in the competition.
                      (see Annex ‘A’ for details of the test).
                      (2) Preliminary Interview. Preliminary Interviews will be held at each of the centres
                      indicated on the application form, provided that there are a sufficient number of
                      candidates for each centre.
                      ."
                      i would have thought they would have done the fitness and medical towards the ends as they normally bring you up to Briccans hospital for the medical
                      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Thats the intense medical though, heart tests and all that stuff. The physical is just the run and the push and sit ups at least thats what I understand anyway

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

The medical includes audiogram, x-rays, blood tests, dental check, eyesight test, weight, height, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco
                            i would have thought they would have done the fitness and medical towards the ends as they normally bring you up to Briccans hospital for the medical
                            they used to do this but too many people were going through all the interviews and aptitude tests and then failing the fitness at the end. not very time effective.

Comment

In the last year or 2, the physical was first, but you had to have a medical check up by your GP before allowed to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X