Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone provide background to this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone provide background to this one?

In the Seattle IPMS:

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

whats the story behind it, on the top right u see a part saying 'aunts pub in killarney', i'm from that area if u can get me the story mite be able to find something out
    What is you major malfunction numbnuts!
    Didn't mommy and daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!

The last words of Sgt. Hartman

Full Metal Jacket

Comment

is it a hurricane on floats?
      "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

looks like a supermarine seafire with floats guessing its a Mark V as that was the most numerous, we probably bought them at knock down prices after the war
        Last edited by Bosco; 19 April 2005, 15:12.
        Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Its a flights of fantasy thing...a mark one hurricane on floats ( which never happened) in sponsored Aer Corps colours. these type models are quite common at shows and are usually submitted by those who require a break from routine modelling. Shows quite a bit of imagination.

Nice build and took a bit of thought ...but really its quite a fantasy.

Bosco...... your aircraft recognition leaves a lot to be desired. !
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Bosco does aero engineering in UL...

Comment

So the 1949 race was a once off ... and this is apparently a 'speculative' model, ie a model of an aircraft that never existed, complete with story to back it up.

There are some interesting 'German' entries to the same mythical race around also ...

Comment

Hurrricanes were much slower than Spitfires.

Comment

Aero engineering and aircraft recognition are two completely different sciences. thanks Aidan for the clarification of the subject......
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

It is a Hawker Hurricane modified and pure fantasy.
                    Tony k

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                      Aero engineering and aircraft recognition are two completely different sciences. thanks Aidan for the clarification of the subject......
                      i know, but surely you'd expect someone doing aero eng to have a degree of interest in aircraft, and therefore have a bit of cop when it comes to aircraft recognition

[veering horribly off thread and stuff, i know! ]

Comment

They used Hawker Hurricanes in this configuration on the North Atlantic convoys.They were launched off converted cargo ships who were equipted to launch and recover these sorties.
                        They may have also been used as artillery spotters launched off the larger capital ships.

Comment

I think you are confusing this with CAM ships..catapult armed merchant ships...where the hurricane was launched from a catapult and was not recovered ..the pilot had to parachute as close to the mother vessels as possible. The only other recorded use of hurricanes at sea was with the fleet air Arm as a deck launched fighter...but it was very poor in this role given the high profile of the hurricanes nose and the pilots inabilty to have a reasonable view forward. It was superior to the seafire as it had a wide track undercarriage and was more stable in landing mode.

All in all the hurricane had a very limited career at sea and both it and the seafire were vastly inferior to American designed dedicated carrier Aircraft.

I know of no known publications of a sea hrricane or a hurricane on Floats. Mr Kearns maybe able to verify this for me as he the recognised expert on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by stameen soldier
                            i know, but surely you'd expect someone doing aero eng to have a degree of interest in aircraft, and therefore have a bit of cop when it comes to aircraft recognition

[veering horribly off thread and stuff, i know! ]
                            you should see my class!
                            One guy ended up in it because he wrote down the wrong module code on the CAO.
                            Just to give you all warm and fuzzy thoughts we are going to be building the planes that you will be flying in, well bar me ill be making medical devices.
                            Staameen how did you know I did aero in UL?
                            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

HPTM is quite correct the Hurricanes did operate on the CAMS, but no floats. They were successful as Sea Hurricanes during the Malta battles and remained in service during the war. It did lack folding wings, unlike the Seafire. The Seafire was very successful especially in the Pacific but as you correctly say not quite as fast as the Hellcat or Corsair but faster than the Wildcat (Martlet).
                              By the way my name is Tony Kearns.......Mr Kearns was my father...ok?
                              Regards
                              Tony K

Comment

Working...
                              X