• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more info on the Chopper from a great site

KA-50
    Meh.

Comment

The KA-50 would involve considerable conversion costs maintenance difficulties and the usual problems with Russian contractors, for instance the Czech republic just returned three "new build" Mi-35s on account of a number of second hand parts being used, apparently through incompetence rather than Trotters- Independent trading co'ism.
      Also remember that the Ka-50/52 has yet to enter any large production batches so the economies of scale that characterised previous russian defense projects are not likely to appear for some time if ever.

We are firmly stuck in the western world for this one and I'd say again that the AH-1W/Z and Tiger HAP/UHT are the only real options, an AH-64D was valued at US$50m this week by the way which rules out that one, although as much as I trust AFM it seems a big jump from the 15m I last saw quoted...although the tiger is quoted at around this price (slightly less), the AH-1W currently costs US$10.7m flyaway, I couldn't find any cost projections for the 'Z' upgrade although I did find the Hilarious 1995 article predicting Unit costs of $15m for the Commanche
      Last edited by Come-quickly; 14 April 2003, 09:48.
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
      X