The A3's usefulness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
    The Alouette's lifting ability is dependent on fuel load, crew load, outside air temperature and density, relative wind, length of take-off space available and the actual weight of the planned cargo.
    Like all helicopters

Comment

Big al barry,vmax and dev have all just hit the nail on the head.Fmolloy is also right in that if you ditch the loadie you have a fifth seat.However the a3 is rarely flown without a loadie as he has a vital job in assisting the loadie.
      ps.Anybody know why i was moderated?
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

And while you are all **** acting around the originally spec for the dauphin was to carry 14 fully equipped commados..check Janes.......4 moderately equipped soldiers with mxaimum fuel load is an A3s spec...and somebody wanted Ireland to send them to Tsunami infected lands...maybe the USCG need back up....?

The oad the hlo carries is dependant on the ops and the fuel capacity...and load carried...interestingly the fuel filler on the A£s were graduated in US gallons so who knows...anyone who knows anything about helos knows that the critical factor is weight..not troops or what they are wearing...fuel versus weight....and all others who wish to add their two cents are talking out of their arses.

JAG...while debating the expierience of the likes of jpb..I suggest that you bow yyour head or genuflect in respect..as for Apod..wel he is in out ....in out..talk what is written...and for the techies..well they are only reasearching their speeches for the enquiry when an A£ piles in loaded to the gills with bodies.

Fast roping has been around since the sixties....somebody had to prove the point...the ARW were concieved in 1977 but were only officially admitted to in 1984...so do the maths..somebody was jumping out of helos....at some time..but nobody knows who or when....

JAG don't bothr question the offical acceptance of the ARW in 1984..its in an official article in Cosantoir....now don't bother refering to your back issue...the editor is a former classmate of mine and can confirm it in writing if you like.....
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

So much info to take in on this subject , from what I can gather from the previous posts the A3 is not suitable to carry a certain Government Minister .
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Yup, it cannot lift the only fully grown harney in captivity.................................
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

It can and did lift an 120mm heavy mortar slung underneath in net

Comment

I've only been in out 'cos up till yesterday i was at the mercy of internet cafes.Finally got my own connection(thank god).Anyway a thought just struck me.We are debating the load capacity of a heli that is soon to be REPLACED!!! Who cares HOW many it can carry!Its gonna be grouned once we get the new birds anyway.Cant wait.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod
                  Its gonna be grouned once we get the new birds anyway.Cant wait.
                  I wouldn't be so sure.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

jeez,dont you just hate negativity!

Comment

Its not negativity. Plan is,from what I hear, is that AB139 will "replace" the Dauphins, as far as Utility goes at least,and the EC135 will replace the Gazelle in the Pilot training role, while allowing a redundant capability for Air ambulance,and VIP transport. The A3 will soldier on for many more years in the Light utility role as they are "cheap and cheerful" as far as maintenance and reliability, and a little more user friendly in the hands of the ham fisted.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Back about 1985 the five Dauphins were supposed to replace the 8 A111's in the Air Corps........
                        Perhaps in about 10 years when parts supply hit rock bottem, the A111's may be replaced by a simple clear weather slick, assuming anyone is makin such a beast...........
                        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hi all
                          Didn't a 120 mortar get dropped from a height once, from the cargo sling of an Alouette, in front of a bunch of senior officers? Bet that was fun to watch.I'll bet the amount of paper filled out thereafter equalled the weight of a loaded Alouette. Apod has a good point: how capable are the new helis? Don't recite the manufacturers figures because they are 9/10s bullshit on a good day. Will they be able to put down a fully-tooled section of infantrymen or an 81mm crew and their tube and bombs? Anyhow, the Alouettes don't owe us a penny and have served with distinction and will be missed.
                          regards
                          GttC

Comment

Back in the 1970s. pre Rangers, there was a heli-borne platoon in the 3rd Bn (The Bloods), in the Curragh. They were involved in many operations and searches etc., such as the search for Dr. Herrema in the Slieve Blooms in about 1975. Others that spring to mind were searches of offshore islands, security for De Valera's funeral, Bodenstown, Portlaoise Prison. There was lots happening at the time. The A3s carried sticks of 4 and usually deployed up to 4 helis, depending on availability and op requirements. Fast roping was practiced but usually the sticks jumped from a low (very) hover or landing.
                            ________
                            Rugger
                            Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 13:57.

Comment

Dont know where you heard that Goldie but if you look in the july an cosantoir there is an article that contradicts what you just said.The maintenance versus operational ratio on the a3 is getting too big and that is why the ec135 is replacing BOTH the a3 AND the gazelle.

Smithy was that the old special assault group that you are talking about?Very little is known about them.All i know is that they were speciaaly trained troops in each command as a stopgap before the foundation of the arw? Is this correct?
                              Last edited by FMolloy; 4 September 2005, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Apod
                                Smithy was that the old special assault group that you are talking about?Very little is known about them.All i know is that they were speciaaly trained troops in each command as a stopgap before the foundation of the arw? Is this correct?
                                No it was a heli-borne platoon as Army reserve. Known as "Oakleaf Platoon". Didn't have any special training except for heli insertion and extraction drills.
                                ________
                                NEW JERSEY MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
                                Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 13:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X