Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The A3's usefulness

Originally posted by Itchy
    Or the fact that some of them wear an all black ensemble with ARMY written in white on the back (I havent been issued my "blacks"...yet), fast roping from an Alouette.
    You're taking the piss, right? Fast roping from a small, crappy 35 year old French helicopter? Inserting a covert force two men at a time? Taking over a rebel base with two warriors of legend?
    Take these men and women for your example.
    Like them, remember that posterity can only
    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
    possession of those who have the
    courage to defend it.
    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Dont be obtuse.You can practice fastroping from a wooden tower, but doesnt necessarily mean wooden towers are your only means of infiltration real world.
    When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
    All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
      You're taking the piss, right? Fast roping from a small, crappy 35 year old French helicopter? Inserting a covert force two men at a time? Taking over a rebel base with two warriors of legend?
      Oh your still here? You're not gone to daka daka blackhawk land or whereever the **** your going??

What is your respone/question/remark?
      Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

The French National Police can manage more than two:

"The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

As can the Maltese:

"The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

F M, I think we better get an expert in on this [that's anyone othe then jag]. Observe he different rope thickness in either picture].
            And jag, at last years open day I saw with my own eyes, ARW fast ropeing from a pair of A111's
            I think there is a piccy on the board somewhere................
            Last edited by Turkey; 22 August 2005, 00:14.
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The Maltese are rapelling rather than fast-roping, but the end result is the same - more than two people delivered rapidly by rope from a hovering A111.
              Last edited by FMolloy; 22 August 2005, 00:28.

Comment

JAG????

Are you on some kind of medication?

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Originally posted by lordinajamjar
                  JAG????

Are you on some kind of medication?
                  Not yet. Perhaps I should be. I'll have a word with my imaginary friends and see what they think. They've never steered me wrong before.

I think fastroping, I think as in Black Hawk Down, insertion of many, many heavily armed troops with great speed, with all equipment.

As compared to delivery of what looks a lot like four maltese mountain rescue guys, and a few Police Nationale back in the day (c. 1965) when the Alouette was state of the art and the pride of French engineering).

Now. Everyone explain to JAG, the dumbass, why the Alouette is the most amazingly capable and appropriate troop carrying helicopter the DF could ever be in possession of.
                  Last edited by JAG; 22 August 2005, 11:50.
                  courage to defend it.
                  Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.

Comment

Well dumbass it most obvously is not , but it is the only helicopter available with the exception of one D2 and one Gazzelle [I think]
                    Now until the scum who run this country start buying helicopters in sensible quantities it will remain giving good service........
                    Jag perhaps ur obvious brillance would be more usefully used in another country/military dictatorship/universe. [delete whichever does not apply]
                    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
                      I think fastroping, I think as in Black Hawk Down, insertion of many, many heavily armed troops with great speed, with all equipment.
                      Well when ya step into reality let us know...
                      Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by JAG

As compared to delivery of what looks a lot like four maltese mountain rescue guys, and a few Police Nationale back in the day (c. 1965) when the Alouette was state of the art and the pride of French engineering).
                        The only difference between fast-roping or rapelling from a Blackhawk and doing so from an A111 is the number of troops you can carry - as both helicopters can only deliver two rapell lines from each side or one rope. So an Alouette can deliver it's troops as fast as a Blackhawk.

Considering that the US Delta Force train in delivering four troops from even smaller helis (as in Black Hawk Down) it would be rash to say that the ability to do so from an A111 is without use.

By the way, the French pic is of the RAID anti-terror unit. It was formed in 1985, so you were out by 20 years. Keep working on your photographic interpretation skills.

Comment

The a111's in use with the air corps can carry 4 troops with cefo but only the left hand door is used cos there is a bar going across on the inside of the door on the right.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
                            By the way, the French pic is of the RAID anti-terror unit. It was formed in 1985, so you were out by 20 years. Keep working on your photographic interpretation skills.
                            I have photographic interpretation skills???

That's the nicest thing you've ever said to or about me FMolloy. I would suspect that the doors on Blackhawks makes for faster deployment though- larger or just not there??. But I obviously know nothing, and you obviously know far, far more than I ever will about anything, so I'll just defer to your vastly superior knowledge and intellect.

Turkey, I think my skills would be most suited to another plane of existence. Inner space does me for the time being though.

Four troops with CEFO does not a combat formation make. I would imagine that dropping four troops only with CEFO only into a hostile area would very quickly result in having four fewer troops.

But again, I'm a dumbass.
                            courage to defend it.

Comment

The doors on a blackhawk are longer,but not as tall as those on an a3. An A3 is much easier to get in and out of.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X