The A3's usefulness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apod
    Dont know where you heard that Goldie but if you look in the july an cosantoir there is an article that contradicts what you just said.The maintenance versus operational ratio on the a3 is getting too big and that is why the ec135 is replacing BOTH the a3 AND the gazelle.

Smithy was that the old special assault group that you are talking about?Very little is known about them.All i know is that they were speciaaly trained troops in each command as a stopgap before the foundation of the arw? Is this correct?
    The 2 X EC-135's primary role will be pilot training replacing the 2 x gazelles as we know (1 X written off due to skid damage!!!!!!).The minimum required for training is one,they seem to manage quite well with one gazelle at this task, so the remaining one could be used for similar tasks as the A3 but not capable of replacing the fleet.The A3 is a simple aircraft to maintain and relatively inexpensive to run, its over engineered and the engine is bullet proof.As long as there are parts availible why not continue to use them. I just cannot remember off hand how many helicopter pilots the aer corp have, but if they are limited to flying six heli's it looks to me that you might have some pi@*#d off people doing more desk duties than flying.

Comment

I reckon they'll use the A3's right up to the end of their useful lives.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
        how capable are the new helis? Don't recite the manufacturers figures because they are 9/10s bullshit on a good day.
        According to An Cosantoir a A139 can carry a 105mm unslung, the crew and ammo (but don't know how much/what range etc).

Comment

In fairness the A3 has proven itself to be very useful, despite being 42 years old, by rights if you look at the average life span of a helicopter in most countries air arms you will find that they should have crashed years ago (please god they don't!). No one can denigh they were an excellent buy, Eddie Hobbs would have a hard time trying to match it.

It speaks volumes for AC pilots and technical staff.

Comment

Hi Dev
            The reality of the Alouettes is that all of them have been rebuilt down to the last nut and bolt at least five times over.There's probably not a part on any of them that's more than 5-6 yrs old. Certainly, there is nothing original left on any of them.They have all suffered accidents that would have had other Air Forces striking them off charge, but the Air Corps relinquishes airframes like a Cavanman lets go a euro, so they were rebuilt time after time. They are maintenance-intensive by comparison to modern helicopters but you're not talking like with like.Either way, they'd be snapped up if they ever get released to the civvie market.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Vmax
              (1 X written off due to skid damage!!!!!!).
              Not to mention the tail boom broken along with the tail rotor drive, the windscreen, the engin mounts, the instrument panel, the main rotor, ......ect .....ect
              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hi Turkey
                It wasn't just slightly bent...it was REALLY bent. You could have taken it home in a wheelbarrow. No point in doing it by halves,eh?
                regards
                GttC

Comment

The A3 kinda reminds me of an axe that's been in my familly for many generations.

The family claim it was originally used at the battle of Clontarf. No paperwork to prove that though. It's been used extensively over the course of hundreds of years. You can see the wear and tear alright. I'm proud of the old axe. The handle had to be replaced at least 21 times but the axe head was only replaced twice.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Working...
                  X