Galway Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

Baden-Karlsruhe (on the French-German border) came to mind when you mentioned regional airports. Former RCAF base during the Cold War days. Small museum there too
    I've been in the tower there. Plenty of RCAF photos/memorabilia on the walls. The joys of killing time while waiting for an engineer to sort a technical issue.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Since the M18 was built, Both Shannon and Knock are less than an hours drive from Galway. Once it lost the island hoppers, it's days were numbered.
      As someone who did have to travel from London to Galway I can say Knock never near the top of the list of airports for me. It was either direct from Galway or from Dublin. Sometime Shannon but not often. What was attractive about Galway Airport is that it was not built in a "shopping centre". And while the two others are only an hour away, that is a 2+ hours journey if someone is dropping you at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post

As someone who did have to travel from London to Galway I can say Knock never near the top of the list of airports for me. It was either direct from Galway or from Dublin. Sometime Shannon but not often. What was attractive about Galway Airport is that it was not built in a "shopping centre". And while the two others are only an hour away, that is a 2+ hours journey if someone is dropping you at the airport.
        What was great about Galway was that you could check in, then walk the length of your kitchen, and be on the tarmac.

Comment

I’ve flown from Dublin to Kerry International before, pre the upgrades to the M7, made a huge difference and gained hours.

with the M7 it isn’t as worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Brian McGrath View Post
            Passing the disgraceful redundant Galway Airport thanks to Leo I was just thinking would it not be a good option for the Government to purchase it as a forward operating base for the Air Corps, base a Casa and a few other machines there and have Air Corps personnel operating it, it could also be used as a refuelling depot for the Air Corps and Coastguard when required rather than leaving a perfect Airport to rot away when it should be operational in some shape or form. It would be a good operational base for the Maritime Patrol Unit and the number of times Rescue 115 or Rescue 118 have had to leave a search area in Galway to return to Shannon for fuel when they could drop into Galway for a hot refuel and back out again in a very short time. Thoughts ????
            Cheaper for Loe on behalf of the taxpayer to stick what ever passengers turned up, and run them up to Dublin in a chauffeur driven limo.
            Last edited by sofa; 28 April 2021, 22:08.

Comment

Working...
            X