Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PDFORRA and the use of contractors/civvy maintainers ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PDFORRA and the use of contractors/civvy maintainers ...

    On a hiding to nothing with this one. Civvy inspectors have been in the Don for decades and the Garda heli has been maintained by civvies for years. Having civvies service a PC-9 or a green heli is not new or earth shattering,merely a tactical use by the Dept to meet a shortfall easily. Who do they think overhaul the Casas,in Spain? Look at the RAF,where all training functions have been fully civilianised for years. Nothing you couldn't replicate in the Don and Beech even proposed that as part of their original submission for single-engine turboprop training. It's the other stuff,such as pilot civilianisation and other tech admin and so on that will creep in, if it doesn't already exist. PDFORRA and RACO need to think carefully on this and pick their battles.

  • #2
    It’s being done because the AC don’t have the people they are supposed to have due to poorer pay & conditions.

    I wonder how the pay would compare side by side, I would be surprised if the civvies aren’t on higher pay.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DeV View Post
      It’s being done because the AC don’t have the people they are supposed to have due to poorer pay & conditions.

      I wonder how the pay would compare side by side, I would be surprised if the civvies aren’t on higher pay.
      Of course the civvies are on higher pay. Last time the contractor was getting paid the same as his partner in uniform was when he was in his third year as an apprentice technician in SAL.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

      Comment


      • #4
        DoD dont want DF pay to go up, as it would set a precedent. It's all right to reward Guards/nurses/frontline heroes but the DF willbe allowed to accept crumbs from the table. Tokenism is the unwritten, undeclared policy and the DF are last on the food chain. Can't get apprentices, specialists and even pilots wouldn't work for that money. NS is a basket case, AC not much better. God knows what the Base workshops are like?

        Comment


        • #5
          Civil maintenance most certainly has it's pitfalls but with it come contractual obligations and financial penalties for lack of performance. As GTTC has rightly said, maintenance has been carried out on state aircraft by civvies both internally and extremely for decades. There are very few, if any, air arms which can carry out all aspects of their aircraft maintenance.

          While a private contractor has the legal entitlement to strike, they generally dont avail of;

          Half day Fridays
          Leaving at 3.30 on a regular basis
          45 min coffee breaks
          2 hour lunches
          Sporadic and questionable use of uncertified sick leave
          Etc etc. Which of course isn't mentioned in the article.

          PDFORRA are way wide of the mark on this one I'm afraid.

          ​​​

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            Civil maintenance most certainly has it's pitfalls but with it come contractual obligations and financial penalties for lack of performance. As GTTC has rightly said, maintenance has been carried out on state aircraft by civvies both internally and extremely for decades. There are very few, if any, air arms which can carry out all aspects of their aircraft maintenance.

            While a private contractor has the legal entitlement to strike, they generally dont avail of;

            Half day Fridays
            Leaving at 3.30 on a regular basis
            45 min coffee breaks
            2 hour lunches
            Sporadic and questionable use of uncertified sick leave
            Etc etc. Which of course isn't mentioned in the article.

            PDFORRA are way wide of the mark on this one I'm afraid.

            ​​​
            so are we talking about a civvy contractor or a DoD employee ?

            very very different things

            Comment


            • #7
              the DoD civvy Inspectors are top lads and I'd happily endorse them but, in this era of the B1/B2 licensed engineer, their day is done BUT inspectorial scrutiny must continue to exist. I'm afraid the AC will continue down the slope of contractorisation/civilianisation as fast as DoD can push it in. It's so much easier to get rid of a connie or a civvy than have to try to deal with a recalcitrant Flight Sergeant who has tooled up his lawyer because he feels aggrieved over some slight. As an aside, the Army have had civvies working alongside soldiers for decades in such places a s Base Workshops (with,naturally, a whole raft of politcal infighting about who does what) but the power resides with the Union, not the soldier, so that can lead to some interesting confrontations. You really have to watch the DoD like a hawk and keep an eye on their overt agenda and try and guess what they are trying to force in,such as civvy contract pilots/mechs, civilian control of the Casas, civilian VIP airlift and so on.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DeV View Post

                so are we talking about a civvy contractor or a DoD employee ?

                very very different things
                Apologise for the delay in this. Missed the notification.

                Most definitely talking about civvy contractor.

                There is/are good DoD civvy inspectors. However, the issue here sometimes is these can be retired DF and the working practices can be carried over. Except when they are civvies they are essentially untouchable so you rely on the professional ethic of the individual which can be hit/miss.

                ​​​​​

                Comment

                Working...
                X