Air Surveillance Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post

I don't know where you are getting that from. Neither the Army working group nor the 2030 board mentioned primary radar once and it is not part of any of the proposed new structures.
    The Army's interest in air defence is for the replacement of the current obsolete Giraffe radar and the RBS70 with a mobile system to support the Infantry and the development of a C-UAV capability. Not primary radar.
    I am quite satisfied with the reliability of my source on this.

I guess time will tell.

As I said, hopefully the Army's contribution is pressing the button to lift the barrier at the main gate.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Government set to spend hundreds of millions on new narco-busting radar system in major smuggling crackdown

Senior sources say the deal to purchase a Lockheed Martin TPY-4 type system should be concluded by the end of this year at the latest

The Lockheed Martin TPY-4 is the primary radar system that has been selected according to this article.
      Last edited by Rhodes; 10 January 2024, 23:29.

Comment

Comment

2024 is really kicking off with a range of positive moves in the DF.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Is it budgeted for?

its an extremely capable radar yes with sufficient range

do we need capability to detect ballistic missiles?

these are designed to be semi-mobile and as far as I know must be manned (open to correction), I’d assume they can also be networked

based on what others paid for 2 relatively recently, we should be able to get 2 all in for about €100m

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Is it budgeted for?

these are designed to be semi-mobile and as far as I know must be manned (open to correction), I’d assume they can also be networked

based on what others paid for 2 relatively recently, we should be able to get 2 all in for about €100m
              I would assume it will be budgeted for over the next 4 years as that’s the timescale that has been well flagged for the Project? As for its capabilities, Ballistic Missile Detection might be a bit of overkill (unless the Brits get really annoyed with us…) but makes sense to go with an industry standard that already has a couple of customers?

Comment

Wait until DoD demand that the Ballistic Missile detection be disabled for Irish operations because we wouldn't be needing that what with neutrality etc...

Comment

Just think outside the Box (planet) here, but the Air Corps / IRCG could say they need it for NASA space launches

The Irish Coast Guard will lead any search and rescue operation off the Irish coast this evening in the unlikely event that the crew of SpaceX’s Demo-2 mission are forced to ditch in the Atlantic Ocean.
                  It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                  It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                  It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                  It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
                    Just think outside the Box (planet) here, but the Air Corps / IRCG could say they need it for NASA space launches

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-31002015.html
                    Or get a very capable medium range civvy primary radars and get AirNavIreland to pay

Comment

Most civvy primary are short range.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                        Most civvy primary are short range.
                        TRAC NG for example has a 250nm range

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Is it budgeted for?

The radars themselves cost around $40-50m each so that should not be too big an issue. The question will be what to do with the information they generate, will if be fed straight onto the IAA system for ATC? Will some poor Airman be given a bike and told there is a pub a few miles down the road where there is a "secure" landline?

Comment

The minister last week threw water on any suggestion that a system had been selected, and instead said we are a long way from such a thing, as, to summarise what he said, once we select this, we are stuck with it, and we have to get it right first time. We are consulting with other operators to see how they run such a system.

Comment

If we are honest most modern systems all have the same or very similar capabilities. And while the colour scheme may vary from green to brown to tan the selection in the end will be a commercial decision, which company offers the best deal. So if we were smart we take the spec from someone near, UK, Norway, Latvia amend a little bit, number of units, no BMD etc and off we go.

But the DoD will wait another 10 years or so, do studies, pay consultants etc, only in the end to find out the project has become to costly due to all the studies and it will be cancelled.

Comment

This is getting rather boring there is a plan with definite time lines freely available to read on the dod website. There will be a pin issued end of may with a tender launched at the end of November.

Comment

Working...
                                X