Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMolloy
    replied
    We've been here before - Alpha jets, Pumas, Blackhawks etc. etc.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Leave a comment:

• The Blue Max
    replied
    Well if any of yuo ever look close at the GASU EC-135 there is/was a hint of things to come with unit information on a large piece of paper with a large EH101 on it posted on the right front pilots door!! And with asking a senior officer of was this a joke he said it was not but an indication of were preferences lye but this was last April when this was said to me!!! Ha.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Hope your right about medium lift helicopters Blue Max, but will believe it when I see them in the don.

You are right about the focus on rotary wing ops - it was either the white paper or PWC.

Leave a comment:

• The Blue Max
    replied
    Never Say Never the whisper refering to future procurements around the Baldonnel is that at least two medium lift helicopters in the class of the new EH101 Merlin Mk3/NH-90 in the (TTT) role over the next five years or so I remember hearing that the Air Corp Would be focusing more on Rotary based operations in the future was this also not mentioned in the The White Paper report but maybe I am mistaken, I would not worry about pilot/techie numbers as back when the Sirkosky S-92 was being ordered the Air Corp decided to take on a larger number of Cadets to cover the expected demand that the new S-92 (SAR) role would put on No.3 Ops Wing (this extra allotment of places of cadets did not occur because of cancelation of the S-92), But when the Air Corp does purchase its new Medium lift helicopter it will most likely do the same by taking on larger cadet classes and most likely the same with apprentice scheme etc.. The plans were always there for replacement of Alouette
    ,Gazelle,Dauphin etc so the plan i wrote is really a general overview of what the Air Corps own Stratigic plan/Future so its not to shocking. Though the procurement of a purely navalised Chopper is a longer time off. Oh and I taught that there had been no decision on the future naval support ship so your idea of the B&V design being more than addiquate is that just based on your own preference??

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Old Redeye and Goldie,
    It depends on what you want your helos to do. The US Coastguard have numerous fixed wing survelliance assets yet have many cutter based helicopters including the new A109 interceptors. If the Navy were more like a Navy and less like a Fishery Protection Fleet they would have many uses for shipborne helos. This would include roles such as drug interdiction, over the horizon vessel boarding (10 min chase not 10 Hrs), and tradational boarding party security. However as I already mentioned on Irish Air Pics the Navy have been hard done by the Air Corps and will not buy another HPV while the Air Corps control the shipborne helicopter asset.
    Please do not get me wrong. I think the Navy are doing a great job under the constraints that they are placed. They at least have in the past engaged in military action to protect themselves and others. At least looking for overseas supply missions and new blue green vessels they are trying to better themselves unlike others who are happy to stay as they are.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Not since the arrival of the CASA.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    BM,

Don't get carried away. Your plan is great, but utterly impossible, not just because of purchase, operations and maintenance costs, but also physical infrasturcture and the numbers of pilots and technicians required to sustain such a force. Keep your fingers crossed that the additional eight 139's will get ordered.

As for Absalon, forget it. The new B&V Multi-Role Support Ship for the NS will be adequate and a 139 will be able to land-on, though it will not be able to 'opeate' a helo at sea, since it will have no hanger or landing aids (beartrap, etc.). This will be adequate for international ops-support to a deployed EU battlegroup land force. Not sure the NS has a requirement to operate helos at sea.

Leave a comment:

• Frank
    replied
    Hi Guys,

The official press day is today (Tuesday 8th Nov), you should see something on the news tonight.

Regards,

Frank.

Leave a comment:

• morpheus
    replied
    Typical, nothing whatsoever about the new helis on any irish news sites.... wonder why?

The media loves to go on about bad things in the army, eg... the man sues DOD for negligence thread, but hardly a line anywhere about the EC135's arrival... makes me MAD!!!

Leave a comment:

• madmark
    replied
    it can only get better the EC-135 looks very nice some great pictures

Leave a comment:

• The Blue Max
    replied
    Another Two/Four EC-135P2s over next year or so followed by a additional Four AB139 to make Eight Ab139s in service with No.Three Operation Wing and then in time 2/3 NH-90/EH101/S-92 (Rear ramp capable) Transport (TTT) and then in time two Dedicated Navalised Medium Helicopters to operate off navys new ship {Hopefully In The Absalon Class} Only time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• The Sultan
    replied
    Tis a beautiful vehicle all the same.

Leave a comment:

• Spook
    replied
    Another pic, of EC135,a bit on the shakey side
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well done Irish Air Corps! Good choice, well executed program. Now go on and order four more 139's, with armor kits, self-protection systems and Extended Range External Fuel Systems to equip six of them. Then an airlifter!

Leave a comment:

• Turkey
    replied
    More piccys, not mine I'm afraid
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X