No announcement yet.

Up Gunning The Air Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Exactly does WVRAAM mean?? From speaking to a senior officer of an very important aspect of the Air Corp. That the Air Corp would more than welcome the addition of additional CASA Cn235 but that the two already in service already provide excellent coverage. Would be more realistic in the future to see UAV maritime dedicated aircraft such as the HERMES or similiar which also have an armed capabilty flying as part of 101sqn or what is general view/board of the board on the future of maritime survailance ops??
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

WVRAAM = Within Visual Range Air to Air Missile.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
        WVRAAM = Within Visual Range Air to Air Missile.
        I know its an unweildly acronym but I prefer to use it and B(Beyond)VRAAM for a few reasons.

Anyway, UAV's for maritime surveillance. The USN, USCG and the Australians have investigated the use of Global Hawk variants for MP but have still are going to combine them with manned aircraft. Currently cost issues for UAVs still rule them out for most countries and the technology still isn't as mature as you would desire (especially for landing the damn things). If no-body minds me posting a link, this article proves interesting reading on current and future MPAs and use of UAV in the MP role.

http://www.aiaa.org/aerospace/Articl...hiveIssueID=25
        Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi
          Hi all its interesting about your ideas/proposals to upgun the IAC but is it wortwhile unless you are going to transition into something else eg close support/multi role aircraft.The future is staring us in the face,uavs are the way.In NZ we are looking closely at these for theRNZAF/NZ army for future operations.
          Hi kiwi - welcome to the board !
          I think you are the first 'Kiwi' on any Irish military board

Are there any plans to purchase a PC-9-type aircraft for the RNZAF?

Also, what UAV's are under consideration for Aeoteroa ?

BTW - You guys have some excellent aviation museums ! I visited 3 last year: Air Force World, Christchurch, NZ Fighter Pilots Museum, Wanaka and RNZAF Ohakea.
          IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

I know its an unweildly acronym but I prefer to use it and B(Beyond)VRAAM for a few reasons.
            Its also out of date given that many IR guided 'short range' AAMs now have a marginal BVR capability, such as the ASRAAM and the IRIS T.

As for up-arming the AC, well as pointed out the facility is there with many of the current airframes to do so (specifically the Cn-235s), but the requirement really isn't. In any case, the air corps doesn't possess any aircraft that are 'combat' capable in real terms in a Western European context. Silk purse, sows ear etc.

Comment

Stay on topic lads, this thread is about improvements to existing aircraft.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Working...
              X