RAF fighters in Northern Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF fighters in Northern Ireland

How about having a RAF fighter sqaudron in Northern Ireland? This unit would be able to provide the air defense of Ireland. They could have direct commo with the Irish Government if they need to cross the border to intercept. RAF Aldergrove could support some Tornado ADVs. Ireland could even pay some of the expense. I know that the Irish might take offense to such a thing, but in reality the RAF is already providing that service to a point. Or just have a detchament like in the Falklands.

If Ireland joined NATO Ireland could actually host NATO fighters like in Baltics do.
    Last edited by Guest; 1 December 2005, 18:26.

Originally posted by ldman60119
    They could have direct commo with the IDF if they need to cross the border to intercept.
    why the israelis?
    The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

I mean Irish Defense Forces-Irish Government

Comment

How about having a RAF fighter sqaudron in Northern Ireland?
        Nothing to do with us, our government or our military.

This unit would be able to provide the air defense of Ireland.
        Would they? Why?

They could have direct commo with the Irish Government if they need to cross the border to intercept.
        So we could tell RAF in NI what to do? Would this work...No. I bring you back to post in the other thread...reality.

RAF Aldergrove could support some Tornado ADVs. Ireland could even pay some of the expense.
        Why dont we put the funds into our own military?

I know that the Irish might take offense to such a thing, but in reality the RAF is already providing that service to a point.
        Are they?

Or just have a detchament like in the Falklands.
        Falklands does not compare to the Irish situation in any, way, shape or form.

If Ireland joined NATO Ireland could actually host NATO fighters like in Baltics do.
        If...but again the magical R word...REALITY.

Look mate... No fighters, no Brits, no credable threat, no SAM's and NO MONEY.
        Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

How about having a RAF fighter sqaudron in Northern Ireland?
          That would be a matter for the Royal Air Force to decide, especially sense the British Army is reducing its commitment to Northern Ireland.

Comment

Aldergrove is home to the Joint Helicopter Force (NI). A joint RAF/Army aviation command. 230 sqn RAF fly Puma transport helicopters, 5 Regt. AAC fly Gazelle in the observation role and Lynx in light transport/observation role. A small flight (4 a/c) of Defenders provide a photographic reconnisance capability. Post 2007, when military support to the Police in NI ends, these aircraft are to remain, in their current roles but now being deployable ie to Iraq etc on short tours.

The infrastructure within the airbase is geared around helicopter operations. It would cost a lot of money to move a squadron of fighters there and as the RAF seem to be centralising their squadrons and closing smaller airbases it seems very unlikely this would ever happen.

Politically, this idea would go down not very well. Sinn Fein would be screaming about the British occupation of Ireland etc. I can't see too many politicians South of the border being keen on the idea of RAF jets patrolling their sovereign airspace either. Also, Ireland is a neutral country, GB is a member of NATO. Its unlikely Ireland will join NATO.

Northern Ireland is tiny, these jets would have no have no-where to train, conduct exercises etc. If they conducted low flying training here, the civil reps would be inundated with claims for pitched lambs, bolted horses and mad cows !

Interestingly, when PIRA were attacking security force bases with armoured lorries and mounting anti-aircraft guns on the back of pick up trucks to attack helicopters around the late eighties/early nineties, it was strongly rumoured that a RAF harrier was to be based here for the purpose of dealing with such matters. Luckily (for the provos) they switched tactics and began their border sniper campaign. Maybe they heard the rumours too.
            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

It would not take a lot to have a Detachment serve there. It was formally a dispersal airfield for the RAF's V bomber force in the 1950s and is used today by all kinds of NATO aircraft (C-17, C-130) flying to and fro. The RAF sent some ADVs to the Baltics and set up tents! These where 3 month tours in the winter.

If a threat would occur and the RAF wanted to intercept they could contact the Irish government and ask whether to pursue. NI is part of Britian and I think they would be concerned about any boogies fly close to its territory.

Comment

The C130's you talk about are rotating troops in and out of the province, they arrive (on the civil airport runways), taxi over to the military side of the airport, pick up their cargo's and take off again. Never heard of a C17 landing there. Would probably make the local news if one did.

IF a threat existed, yes it is possible that the RAF may detach some fixed wing aircraft to RAF Aldergrove. But a threat does'nt exist at the moment so it won't happen. And without major political manouvering, they would not be flying into Irish sovereign airspace.

By the way, 3 Sqn RAF Regiment, who have been based at Aldergrove for some years now are to be re-located to some airbase in Wales. No idea why they were here in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by spider
                  No idea why they were here in the first place.
                  You could say that about the existance of the entire RAF Regiment..........

ldman666500million: Thanks for solving all of our problems with Defence policy. Seriously, nice one, nobody would ever had thought about any of this. Expect a "thank you" call from Willie O'Dea any day now

Comment

Barry, I don't like politicans. And more so for ones that have never served in the military. I am glad to help those who cannot see the right way to do things. I will not even charge my normal $350/hour fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
                      You could say that about the existance of the entire RAF Regiment.....
                      Indeed you could !!!

Comment

NI isn't that much closer than current RAF bases on the mainland UK. I don't see much of an advantage in basing them here.
                        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Idman60199, I somehow missed your link re the C17 at Aldergrove. My apologies, I do remember that one landing, in support of George Bush in 2003. And yes, it did indeed make the news. It was carrying presidential vehicles and possibly helicopters ??

However. C17's do NOT fly to and fro from Aldergrove. There is no need for them to do so.That was a one off. Which is no doubt why a member of the Ulster Aviation Society took that photo. A special occassion.

The military side of Aldergrove is and will remain a helicopter facility.

Comment

Originally posted by spider
                            The C130's you talk about are rotating troops in and out of the province, they arrive (on the civil airport runways), taxi over to the military side of the airport, pick up their cargo's and take off again. Never heard of a C17 landing there. Would probably make the local news if one did.

You`ve obviously never been to RAF Aldergrove then.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent

You`ve obviously never been to RAF Aldergrove then.
                              Well now. I worked there for a year 1992-93. My current occupation means I visit that location half a dozen or so times a year. In fact, I was there three weeks ago, on a course.

Never be there at the weekends mind you. :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X