Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dauphin & Gazelle retired by Irish Air Corps - air to air pics

Hi Guys,

On the 31st December 2005 the Irish Air Corps retired it's last Gazelle and Dauphin helicopters. 1 Gazelle and 4 Dauphins were withdrawn from service although 2 of the Dauphin's were "unserviceable" and had not flown for some time.

To commemorate the occasion a special formation flight was put up in late December, this flight consisted of a Gazelle, Dauphin, Alouette & EC135. This was the last time all 4 helicopter types flew together.

Some of the pictures from this formation flight are posted below, for the full lot of about 30 pictures (and larger versions of same) click on this link:

Last Dauphin / Gazelle formation flight pictures

I personally will miss the Dauphin, I really loved the sound of it and it looked beautiful, I'm sure pilots and crews will have other things to say about it but I for one will miss it.

Not all the pictures are air to air, I spent some time on the ramp after the formation flight snapping pictures.

Enjoy the pictures,

Regards,

Frank.

Click for more pictures
    IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
    http://www.irishairpics.com

Great pics as always Frank, what will become of the Gazelle and Dauphins?
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Hi Al,

Glad you like the pics.

I've been told that the Department of Defence will sell the helicopters, probably by tender, but I don't know if a final decision has been made on what to do with them yet.

As with all things like this don't believe anything until you see the official press release from either the Air Corps or Department.

Regards,

Frank.
      IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
      http://www.irishairpics.com

Comment

try ebay....
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Great pics Frank!! Its a real shame when you see any aircraft retired.

Comment

Lovely pics, I wonder will Carlow bid for these as well.
            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

I Imagine the Gazelle would sell pretty quickly on the open market for a few hundred grand. I wouldnt be surprised to see it flyin about with an EI reg to the races in Galway, or the curragh. The Dauphin however, are too unique for the average civilian heli pilot, though if someone like Mc Alpine were to buy and convert them to 365N standard, the options are limitless. HEMS, Offshore, executive transport even. I doubt they will see further military service though.

It is sad though that the Alouette, old workhorse of the fleet has outlasted 3 of its supposed successors. The Puma, the Gazelle, and the Dauphin. Wonder if it will be about for the retirement of the EC135 also?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Excellent Photos Frank, PURE CLASS!!!! It sad and memourable day across the Air Corps as we move forward to more modern replacements we also say good bye to the Dauphins And Gazelles and also the machines that served us so well and that Four Of Our Comerades who lost their lives in Serving The State. We all remember were we were when we heard this stragic news. We will remember with fondness these Two Beautiful Aircraft types that both flew with pride wearing the Roundels Of the Irish Air Corps...
                British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
                Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

How about giving them to the coast gaurd, or as GF has said, HEMS.

Comment

Doubt the coast guard would want them. The SAR Helis for the Coastguard are provided by CHC Scotia, who are recently after ordering a number of S92 and AB139 for use in SAR in the UK.

http://www.chc.ca/press_releases.html

Comment

( DAUPHIN AND GAZELLE RETIRED BY IRISH AIR CORPS )

Great pics Frank.I once had the pleasure of going up in an Auloutte while up in gormanstown back in the 70s when they were doing routine take of and landing exercise's along with the cessna's .My one and only time in a helicopter.Great memories, sad to see them go .

Comment

The A3 aint going nowhere for a while.

Comment

ya really gotta love that Dauphin....absolutely beautiful and futuristic, i was in the cockpit there last summer, really cramped(well for a heli of its size!), full of dials and a few screens....perfect flying environment if you ask me!a mixture of old flying technology mixed with new innovations!

Comment

If it was that perfect how come the AC are getting rid of them?
                            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Helicopters come with fancy computer screens now.
                              If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Working...
                              X