Irish Air Corps CASA CN235s To Be Upgraded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tadpole
    Of course it was a bird strike! Except the bird was asleep in his nest at the time...what bird do you know is out in fog? If fog was becoming a problem, why did they not divert to Dublin Airport? Try altimeter mis-setting....my friend, who was one of the two AC lads down the back stated that the first time he knew they were in the manure business was the sound and sight of branches passing the windows, under the wings...why are the aircraft of the State, paid for by the taxpayer, not subject to the same level of scrutiny as any private or commercial aircraft, regardless of nationality, that suffers an accident or incident in the State? If the accident reports of well-regarded foreign militaries such as the USAF and RAF are put in the public domain and have been so for years, there is no justifiable reason to prevent the Irish public from knowing why it's servants are having trouble with expensive aircraft.D248s accident report was published only because of public pressure.
    regards
    GttC

Comment

GTTC,
      I only said what I heard, not that I believed it.
      I suppose the bird strike bit came from the crew hearing a lot of bangs at what they percived to be over 500' above ground level, no giant redwoods in the Clane area! Also heard talk of the alts not being reset to the local pressure during descent but never seen the report.....like most people.

Your points are very valid as to the operations of the military in civil roles. To be honest if they wish to work to different rules, regulations and risk assessments I dont really care. Its up to them to decide what they feel is too much risk for their personnel. The important words however are "THEIR PERSONNEL".
      If the Air Corps are involved in an accident resulting in death or injury of a person that is not a member of the Defence Forces then they should be investigated by the civil authorities as would a military vehicle accident involving civilians.
      Also if the Air Corps intend to carry civilian passangers, casulaties, crew etc they should be made gain an AOC to do so, hence proving that their procedures and protocols are, at least to the minimum standard required by Irish civil aviation. These aspects of their operations should also be under continuous scrutiny, as would an civil operator carrying passangers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpole View Post
        The CASA in question was C250 in 1993(?) which later had a fatal crash with the Chilean (?) airforce. GTTC is correct that they were a hares breath from a fatal accident which was investigated by soley the Air Corps (No civil requirement at that stage).
        As far as I remember the mission was an organ harvest in Cork. The crew went down early in the morning / afternoon but as the harvest team had to wait for the patient to die the aircraft did not return home until 2-3am the next morning.
        On approach to 11 at night fog started to roll over the threshold into which the aircraft descended. After what the crew believed to be a bird strike they went around and landed on 23. Only after landing did they realise what had happened.
        What came out of the investigation I dont know as it was not a public affair.
        Hi,

Just a quick update on Tadpole's previous posting, Casa C250 (c/n C019) was not subsequently written off after it left IAC service. C250 was returned to CASA in 1994 and was subsequently purchased by the Chilean Army in 1996 (registration E-219).

The Chilean Army did indeed write off one of their Casa Cn235s, E-217 (c/n C021), but on 25 February 1992. It think C250 was subsequently purchased as an attrition replacement.

C250, is still in service with the Chilean Army, along with 2 other Casa Cn235s, although she has given up her attractive 'SAR' scheme for a 'sandy' camo scheme.

Grass

Comment

Need for more Casa's?

Now that we are likely to have our maritime zone majorly expanded are we likely to recieve funding from the EU/Irish Gov for more Casa's.Given that we only have 2 and that is not even enough for the commitments we have, it is about time more are to be bought.What is the likelyhood of more being bought?

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer the Casa aircraft to be operated privately like the Coastguard helicopters.

The rumours of the Air Corps being given a deployable airlift capability through the next white paper strengthen these feelings for me. We should concentrate the training and resources of the Air Corps on delivering a tangible military asset:

- Getting troops into and out of a warzone.
            - Providing in theatre transport.
            - Offering a deployable Light Strike capability, if we're reduced to it.

While the new upgrades to the Casa will apparently give them a certain degree of military capability (ASW/ASuW) I'm dubious as to whether that will ever be exercised. So their roles will be more analogous to the Scottish Fisheries Protection Agency, which hires a private firm to do their patrols - rather than say, how the RAF use their Nimrods.

So more Casa's for the Air Corp?

Only if they're for transport.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
              While the new upgrades to the Casa will apparently give them a certain degree of military capability (ASW/ASuW)
              To operate in an ASW role, the upgrade would have to include the addition of Sonobuoy launchers and/or a MAD boom. It did not. Moreover , on a fundamental basis, to operate in any military ASW or ASuW role, it would require the addition of a weapons system. No such capability has been added.
              The upgrade includes a new mission system and console layout along with a new radar. Merely a modification of the previous capability. What is there, and has always been there for that matter is the potential to be further upgraded for use in these roles, but that is the case with any CASA MPA in use anywhere.

Comment

REIMS F406 AIRCRAFT FOR SALE Reims F406
                Two Reims F406 aircraft will become available for sale during Spring 2008. The aircraft, which are equipped for EEZ missions, are currently operated by the Scottish Fishery Protection Agency (SFPA). Both aircraft are in good condition and have been operated to comprehensive maintenance schedules. Equipment fit includes the RDR1500B search and surveillance radar and one aircraft is also configured for FLIR should the new operator require such a capability. The aircraft would be ideal for any Government/Operator looking at acquiring an aerial EEZ, drug interdiction or general offshore surveillance capability or just develop an existing one further. The F046 has a low operational cost, is reliable and has cargo capacity and general versatility making it an aircraft that could be quickly adapted for passenger or freight transport missions.
                GUIDE PRICE £GBP750,000 EACH.
                Disposal Services Authority
                St Georges Court
                2-12 Bloomsbury Way
                London
                WC1A 2SH
                UK

Phone: +44(0)20 7305 3164

Fax: +44(0)20 7305 3242
                CONTACT DETAILS

Comment

Would certainly be a good buy for inshore customs work.

Comment

RE: Scottish Fisheries aircraft, I just read a while ago that they're replacing them with more of the same, if that makes any sense.

At that price they look a steal.

Comment

I wonder how much salt is on the airframe?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        I wonder how much salt is on the airframe?
                        A very good question. Could be the very reason they are being replaced with more of the same. All the infrastructure,training and SOP's remaining in place with only the aircraft needing replacement.

Comment

Seems like a vote of confidence if they're replacing them with more of the same.

Comment

Hi there
                            If they are in as good a maintenance programme as is claimed, then corrosion shouldn't be a problem.It is routine in most air forces/paramilitary air arms to wash(spray and hand) those aircraft that operate over the sea on a daily or on a per-flight basis.We certainly did it regularly in the Don.I'd be more worried about fatigue life from endless thumping around in low-altitude turbulence.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Might I suggest utilising the current MPAs properly and fully before poor mouthing the need for more.
                              Money would be better spent on equipment to get our troops into, and more importantly out of, the worlds troubled spots without reliance on other nations.

Comment

In what way are they not being properly utilised tadpole?

Comment

Working...
                                X