USCG Dolphin (US version of Dauphin) upgraded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCG Dolphin (US version of Dauphin) upgraded

The first proposed rotary-wing aircraft under the IDS Program is an upgraded version of the legacy short-range recovery helicopter, HH-65. Redesignated as the Multi-Mission Cutter Helicopter (MCH), the HH-65 will undergo a Service Life Extension Plan (SLEP) that will yield a like-new aircraft. The MCH will assist in the missions of search and rescue, enforcement of laws and treaties, as well as maritime homeland security missions.

Features
    Increased communications, increased Common Operating Picture (COP) capability, and night/all-weather capability with radar and Electro-Optic/Infrared sensors
    Vertical Insertion and Vertical Delivery (VI/VDEL) capability – the ability to deliver a 3-person interagency counter-terrorism or response team 50NM from a US shore or a Coast Guard flight deck equipped cutter.
    Airborne Use of Force (AUF) package that will provide the capability to fire warning and disabling shots from the air
    Allows cutter to apply force against a maritime target up to 150 NM away
    Enhanced radar and optical sensors will allow Common Operational Picture/MDA data exchange capability
    Asset pairing of a flight deck equipped cutter with a deployed MCH will allow the Commanding Officer of the ship to utilize the air asset to investigate, classify, and identify a threat and then to vector the cutter to the target
    Detection and defense capabilities against chemical, biological, or radiological attack
    Meets the requirements associated with cutters deploying on defense operations and peacetime military engagements, and may also be used to meet non-Deepwater aviation demand missions currently being conducted by existing HH-65s

I saw one (Perhaps un-upgraded?) as I was running along Marina Green on the way back from Fort Point on Saturday. I forgot how cool the sound and look! The dude was taking a low pass to check out the kite surfers.
    Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by yooklid
      I saw one (Perhaps un-upgraded?) as I was running along Marina Green on the way back from Fort Point on Saturday. I forgot how cool the sound and look! The dude was taking a low pass to check out the kite surfers.
      The nose is the biggest giveaway for the upgraded version, looks like the AC Dauphin, whereas the older version has a 'stub' nose!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogwatch
        The nose is the biggest giveaway for the upgraded version, looks like the AC Dauphin, whereas the older version has a 'stub' nose!
        I wonder if they used any "Lessons learned" from the AC experience?
        Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by yooklid
          I wonder if they used any "Lessons learned" from the AC experience?
          MTOW hopefully.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
            MTOW hopefully.

MTOW??

Comment

Everything you need to know!
              Meh.

Comment

Im farely sure that they are using one of these around San Francisco Bay Area on more or less a daily basis. The sound from them is unreal! Cool looking heli as well.

Comment

MTOW is maximum take off weight....all the considerations..fuel, bodies ,gear that a pilot must enter onto alog before he attempts to fly.

depending on the type of op , range, endursnce..this is the primary consideration. the manufacturer publishes an MTOW..and the captain knows this is heaviest that his machine can be at time of lift off ..try working it all out some time...great fun.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Rumour has it..........

Rumour has it that the 4 Dauphins have already left Bal' onroute to the good ol' USA to a company who maintaines the US CG fleet. they have certainly left the hanger where they were resideing for the past few months......
                    This is one of the more credible yarns I have heard in the past few days....

[MOD: A little birdie tells me that the aircraft have been discovered in Number 1 hanger. It's easy to misplace 4 helicopters, y'know]
                    Last edited by Boomer; 21 September 2006, 18:50.
                    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

i thought the US liked to buy new
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Hi all
                        Still plenty of low-houred parts to be had off the Irish Dauphins...it'd be worth the USCG's time and money to take the Irish aircraft and strip them. It also saves the Irish Govt the hassle of seeing the parts go to dubious civvies.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

Photos of the upgraded Dolphin operational

Comment

I notice the absence of those emergency float type things. Our Dauphins has one each side of the Nose, covered by a canvas panel. I think the Fuselage plug aft of the cabin acted as the third float.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              I notice the absence of those emergency float type things. Our Dauphins has one each side of the Nose, covered by a canvas panel. I think the Fuselage plug aft of the cabin acted as the third float.
                              They are still there Goldie under both pilot doors and to the rear,the covers are just a little hard to see from these photo's.
                              Last edited by Guest; 25 October 2006, 22:51.

Comment

Working...
                              X