No announcement yet.

Heli-ops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only will Allouette 195 have served 40 years this november 25th,But the Pilot who flew it in Retired as GOCAC 14 years ago!!
    Aircraft delivered after its arrival ,no longer in service due to old age include..DH Dove,DH Chipmunk,Fouga CM170,BaE 125-600,BaE125-700, Beech SKA200(x2 of 3).

I think they deserve a replacement. Could they be the Oldest military aircraft in constant frontline use?
    Definitely the Oldest Frontline Heli!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well if they still work use them. Why not get new heli's to replace them and use the A3's to set up a reserve Air Corps (now don't Laugh) but it could be utilised as an auxilary SAR SQN or something,
      They definately were value for money alas the only one I ever got close to (214) is used for spare's now
      Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Regarding Smith's comments, didn't read the interview, was in italy at the time, but are you slightly misquoting him? Buying arms for the sake of buying arms is pointless and on that i agree with him,( the only real invasion threat comes from the Klingons) but equiping the defence forces to take part in modern peace support missions is different, and he has implemented steps in that direction.

As for universities, having spent ten years in various places, don't be too down on Belfield CQ (what are you doing out there anyway?,though only when I went back there after five years away did I realise what a shit hole it is. As for working in them, compared to the U.K., academic staff in ireland have a better life. But when we talk about defence spending and government spending, we have to realise that Irish universities, to take another example, lack resources for serious graduate work, libary facilities are extremly poor, academics are relatively badly paid for the job they do which can be extremly stressful (compared lets say to Medical doctors who do research), and that lots of people would favour increased spending on those sectors before defence.

Comment

I'm not misquoting him to the extent of warping his intentions, it just came across as rather silly, to my shame I've just discovered that a relative has taken up employment in the Department....Boo hisss and all that.
          Very true on the Uni funding...but who ever suggested taking money out of the poor box; there are more than a few fat cows in this state which any marginally competent and incorrupt government could gently deflate to no ones great loss except the wearers of the GOlden Moo-moo's who aren't exactly an economic or social neccesity.
          Also if we had fighters we could blow things up, and that just appeals to me:D
          And never underestimate those Klingons, they killed kirks son you know...it's true
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Don't watch star trek so can't comment on klingon aggression.

Comment

poor ol' A3's

Bailer, a reserve Air Corps sounds like a good idea. unless of course you happen to live in the one country in europe where no- one,[we are led to belive] gives a damn about defence. Doh!!!
              The problem with the A3's is their age, helicopters are essentialy modular, like steam locomotives, in theory they can last for ever, as all parts or sets of parts can be replaced independently of the rest, providing parts are available, and more importantly, at a reasonable price, Eurocopter may be unwilling to supply parts now for this venerable machine, as there are now far less in service then years ago.
              But also it's a very labour intensive peice of equipment, a more modern aircraft would need less looking after, that would suggest to me that even if a reserve were formed old A3's might not be the way to go, but it's still a brilliant idea.
              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Talking of brilliant ideas!

Whoever picked the A3 all those years ago deserve to be very pleased with themselves.The aircraft hasmore then justified the investment made in it. Even if they had only been involved in saving one life in the 40 years of service it would have been worth it.I am not sure what the number really is, so I will saynothing.
                But, when the replacement is picked, let's hope the choice is as inspired.
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                X