No announcement yet.

Agusta Westland AB139 for Irish Air Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent work as always mate glad to see the day went well and the AW139 looking great.

Its sorry to say but the single alouette 196 in your photo is looking very sad in comparision to the new Helo's.

Best Regards.

BMax
    Last edited by The Blue Max; 12 January 2007, 07:40.
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

• Good work. Have any ground troops been exercised with them yet??
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Blue Max View Post
        Its sorry to say but the single alouette 196 in your photo is looking very sad in comparision to the new Helo's.
        Ach not a bit of shame on the old girl. She done her dooty.
        If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

• Mention again this month in AFM and I think Flight Ireland.
          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

• Micks Barbours in Killcock has a couple of great photos up on the wall. One has them taxieing and the lead chopper has both GPMG's mountd and visable.

Comment

• Okay quick question,and if this has allready been answered i apologise in advance but i dont have the time today to trawl thru all previous posts.Are the 139,s operational yet?
              Reason i ask is that i was on an exercise during the week which invoved helis.was looking forward to training with the new ones and what did we get.Yes,allouettes!
              Bit disappointed i can tell you .As were the rest of my gang.
              Whats the story?Also are the allouettes only gonna be retired once all 6 AW-139,s are up and running?:confused:
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                Reason i ask is that i was on an exercise during the week which invoved helis.was looking forward to training with the new ones and what did we get.Yes,allouettes!
                I guess that's kinda like being told you'll get issued raingear for an exercise, and getting the old OG crap, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  I guess that's kinda like being told you'll get issued raingear for an exercise, and getting the old OG crap, eh?
                  At least the Alouette's work, the OG raingear doesn't.

Comment

• Patience.

You don't just jump off with new kit and expect to be effecient or effective in its use until pilots have some time under their belt and SOPs and techniques have been developed to deal with all the operational requirements. These are more complex aircraft and have to be introduced with a sane head. Troops may be champing at the bit to get their hands on them and the pilots are just as eager, but the training required to complete demanding tasks still has to be done. The differences in trooping drills are significant and will require a much greater input from NCOs in the section.

Rest assured, once complete, the sections will have an effective aircraft to get them to the field, but it is a case of crawl, walk, run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
                      Yeah

Comment

• Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
                        Patience.

You don't just jump off with new kit and expect to be effecient or effective in its use until pilots have some time under their belt and SOPs and techniques have been developed to deal with all the operational requirements. These are more complex aircraft and have to be introduced with a sane head. Troops may be champing at the bit to get their hands on them and the pilots are just as eager, but the training required to complete demanding tasks still has to be done. The differences in trooping drills are significant and will require a much greater input from NCOs in the section.

Rest assured, once complete, the sections will have an effective aircraft to get them to the field, but it is a case of crawl, walk, run.
                        Point taken.Doesnt answer my second question though.

Comment

• Patience.
                          Whats your scource of knowledge Scorpy

Is this your personl opinion or is it official policy

to actually be allowed fly the aircraft the pilots must have qualified ono helliis and then did

a conversion course on the newe ones

The differences in trooping drills are significant and will require a much greater input from NCOs in the section.
                          This reflects the dilema

how can be train properly without the actual helicopter
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Hi there
                            All of the current pilots are experienced heli drivers with one or more types under their belts.Many are ex-dauphin pilots so they are well aware of the need to learn from the mistakes of the old heli and relearn the pure military aspect of the new ones.To the poster who was disappointed that he only had an Al.III to play with, well, pity about you.It's not that long ago that the only vehicle you would have jumped out of was a Bedford. Be thankful for small mercies.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

• He must have thought the A3 was for RDF only....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                He must have thought the A3 was for RDF only....
                                That would not be a bad idea, at least for the present, but the latest word I have is that the A111's will be gone sometime this year.
                                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X