Agusta Westland AB139 for Irish Air Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carrington View Post
    Why did the Air Corps opt for the 139 rather than the 149?
    I don't think the 149 was on offer at the time.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• The 149 has not flown yet.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• And is not due to fly until 2011.

Never heard of a twin gearbox heli, but I haven't been keeping up. Any model in particular? Seems like a significant increase in weight for a very unlikely event. Bit like one wing falling off a fixed wing. Doesn't matter how many engines you have if your wing spar cracks or you shed a blade. Your number is up.

Now I've depressed meself again....

Comment

• how about the chinook scorpy? one gearbox per main rotor
          It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Comment

• Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
            Like I said, more engines means more capability. They might have been able to afford more single-engined helicopters for the same money, but they wouldn't have been able to lift a section plus gear & two door-gunners pieces etc.
            dunno about yours but our 139's can't lift a full section plus gear at the mo, need a bit more practice at planning! CoG limitations and all that:wink: I guess that's what you get when you use a VIP heli for troop carrying not the only teething problem either

Comment

• Originally posted by spike View Post
              dunno about yours but our 139's can't lift a full section plus gear at the mo, need a bit more practise at planning!
              There's a difference between can't & won't - the AC mightn't have gotten around to it yet but it is possible.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Think about the argument! It's about failures. If one gearbox on a chinook fails you are just as dead. The chinook is a mastery of engineering prowess. The more complex a system, the more likely a failure and the more likely a catestrophic failure. Chinook pilots must be the most intorspective, critical and paranoid heli pilots on the planet! Bar Osprey pilots, cos they don't have the track record. Yet.

C of G bedamned, the 139 CAN lift a full section. It is a minor matter of will over can, but it can. Within C of G limits. It just depends on how far the section needs to go and if they have CEMO or not. Even with CEMO, it depends on fuel, so don't get too carried away with sweeping statements just yet. Until you have the weight balance tables in front of you, you don't really know, and that includes qualified 139 pilots.

PM me if you know different, and if you don't stick to what you know.

Comment

• Hi scorpy
                  I had the pleasure of seeing the early tiltrotors flying in Texas. They're bloody fast and amazing to see as they transition to fixed-wing flight and back.Unfortunately, one of them suffered exactly the kind of gearbox failure it was supposed to be "proofed" against and it thrashed itself to pieces on landing at Arlington, near Dallas....I thought the CH53 had a dual gearbox on the bigger models.I stand to be corrected, no doubt.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
                    Until you have the weight balance tables in front of you, you don't really know, and that includes qualified 139 pilots.
                    apologies for the sweeping-ness of my previous post, the second part of the above quote kinda qualifies the point i was trying to get across. please note that i did say "at the moment". just that we haven't got the hang of it yet, not that we won't.

:redface:

no need for PM we're all friends here

Comment

• Sorry for being completely off topic. If we do get our new MRV etc. in future, would AB 139s be capable of operating in marine environment, i.e. of being deployed for long periods in sea going naval vessel? AFAIK, the Dauphins deployed on the Eithne in the past were of a slightly different spec. to those used for Army Co - op. Apologies again if I've posted in the wrong place

Comment

• Rumour has it that the next AW-139 to be delivered, is leaving Italy tomorrow [thursday] and will arrive in Bal' on Saturday....
                        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• AW139 number 3 arrived in Bal' today. Got out of the med before the weather breaks for the weekend.

Comment

• Options

Does anyone know for definate that there was no additional options placed after the final two "original" options were made into orders.
                            "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

• Total number of AB139 ordered so far=6.

Comment

• Three Irish Air Corp Wolfhounds off Clare coast last thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                X