It's YOUR Re-org (Rant Pt 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's YOUR Re-org (Rant Pt 2)

Ok, I've been quiet for a couple of months but have to come back into IMO. I've been sitting back and watching the Re-org, what has been happening and what is going to happen (Integration). I've been watching in my own unit and many others. And I've been dismayed with many things I have seen.

For many units, the last year has been a difficult one. For my own unit, we lost most of our independence in doing things and now have to pass practically everything through Battalion for approval. The Battalion commander has a job to do, he has to bring the whole Battalion through the re-org and complete the training plan. 1 or 2 Coys operating on their own has a tendency of splitting the Bn (As it did in the old days - remember the old Coy rivalrys?). So I can't blame him if everything doesn't get approved. He has passed a lot of it onto Reserve officers to organise Bn wide training. Unfortunately WE as Reservists maintain many of our own old faults - watching our asses and our kingdoms. And I am loathe to say it but many Reserve Officers are not up to the Job. This is a mixture of inability, complacency and lack of initiative. The latter is usually a fault of PDF cadre & MA indifference or hostility, the first is our own fault.

Leadership at the top is lacking. This has in effect has fed down into the lower ranks. It has been a problem for years but is more present now when iniative is needed more than ever. Many of us have seen cpls and sgts who are "afraid" to train others. They tend to stick to subjects that they know (Cpls only good for marching/shooting). This is a mixture of not knowing the subject material, being afraid of A7, not being told what to do by an officer. I have seen this symtom in officers too - "gunning" for a particuliar NCO because the officer does not approve of the way the NCO does things. Across the Reserve iniative has been stifled at all levels. Again PDF cadre staff are a problem here but the biggest problem is ourselves.

Basically the crux of my argument is that WE as Reservists need to go out and grab the Re-org by the balls. I haven't been a big fan of the re-org in the part - neither have many others - but it is here now. We, as a group, need to make it work or else we need to shut up and go home.

The assessments that were conducted recently really showed up the Reserve for what it was becoming. Lack of numbers, indifference and lack of training amongst officers, poor training and concentrations of coys efforts in one area at the detriment to others. I watched as one Coy, experts at orienteering and competitions for years, being shocked at the idea that they had to provide a section for tactics. Officers who were unable to give combat orders, which should be basic bread & butter stuff for officers especially when the YOs cse, which is primarily based around tactics and orders, has been dangerously undersubscribed since its inception 2 years ago. The assessments went well for some, badly for others. From my own involvement it was a case of a lot of hard work to make it work. From others I heard the old stories of ass watching and kingdom building. The assessments were a mixed bag of success and failure..... BUT it was OUR success & failure. WE were responsible for the assessments. We have noone to blame for our failures but ourselves, noone should take the plaudits but us. But in saying that, many officers knew they were unable to pass the assessment. They didn't understand the coy orders or had forgotten how to give orders. Many of them tried their best and learned from their mistakes and hopefully learned the fact that they need to continue their training in other courses such as the YOs cse. I have not sympathy and respect for the officers who didn't even show up - who were more afraid of showing their inability than of the lack of respect they were showing to their soldiers. They deserve all our contempt.

The Integration is coming up soon. Initiative and hardwork is now what is needed to make this work. It is our re-org, we need to get out there and make it work. I have been hearing horror stories of how 2 Bns are not taking part, of lack of numbers and qualified people. What I am trying to say is that we NEED to make it work. The FCA is dead. The old ways of doing things are gone and will bring nothing but stagnation. It is time for us - all of us, PDF & RDF - to step up to the plate and make this re-org work. If your officers won't do it, do it yourself. If an officer stops you, go to hi/her superior. If they stop you, go higher again. Keep plugging away. Keep banging your head against that wall until it eventually does come down. Many of you have been doing this for years and well done, keep at it. For the rest of us, it is time to start. Stop worrying about your own ass - this is part time, it won't affect your pay. Stop worrying about your kingdom - we are all in this together, if my kingdom falls, yours is next. Keep watching your own ass and your own kingdom and soon you won't have to worry about either.

It is YOUR Re-org. Get out there and make it yours.

rdfrip-what an apt name. we got the screed last night on the intergrated plt and at least 15 people applied , thats a propable 15 troops gone from my unit that best part of a 3 star plt . what about the people left behind? what do you do with 5 3 stars , make stuff up ? its hard to a section in attack with those numbers
    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

The question was raised in our unit if integrated personel could still trainwith the original unit. Hasn't received a definite answer yet.
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
        The question was raised in our unit if integrated personel could still trainwith the original unit. Hasn't received a definite answer yet.
        We were told you could
        Ack ack ack ack ack..Kaboom!! hooray!!!! arrrrrr....
        Pedro lacks political experience

Comment

That kind of defeats the purpose

Comment

PDF to train you; otherwise no point. Also RDF have NO training input to you, therefore you are taking up space with the wrong unit.

So what if you lose people to the integration ? Deal with it. Your people will get better training and have a chance to further their careers. As for what's left if you can't find something to do with 5 3-stars then get off the train now. Do a Bn course in something.; at least your people have the chance to apply.

As for Docman's valid point, yes and a lot of them know it; would they admit it ? not in a million years; neither will your desk-pilot CS and CQs.

what can we do about it ; SFA ; back to training troops,so, which is about all I can affect.
            Last edited by trellheim; 25 October 2006, 16:36.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The speil we got on Integration was that PDF training would come first. You would do your 33 days. All PDF training would be weekends and full weeks. However during the week, you would continue to train with your old unit (if you wish) as a way of passing back the info learned. However PDF training would have priority.

It would also allow you to continue your relationship with your old unit. A lot of senior Ptes were afraid that if they took up Integration that they would be dumped back into their old unit in 2/3 years and basically be the new guy all over again. In fact, their is a hope that non integrated elements will be able to train with the integrated platoon and the PDF on weekends - just wouldn't be able to take part in the full time weeks training.

Personally this is what I mean about taking the initiative. From what I am seeing, the Integration is not written in stone. If you are and officer/Sgt/Cpl and have an idea, pass it up the line. If there are extra PDF instructors, use a few extra bodies from the non-integrated. If your NCOs get training in M203s etc, pass on that training to non-integrated. We are all Reservists. A lot of it is down to initiative.

Comment

So basically it seems to me that the crux of your argument is:

"After years of not being treated seriously, now that we are, we're not holding to our end of the bargain"

It's not all about sam brownes and swords, it seems.
                Meh.

Comment

Ha ha. I went straight to the top of the line a few weeks ago. Talking to the Lt.Col on the HMG shoot, he asked how I felt about the integration. Between the .50cal bursts I managed to get a nod of approval that the the most positve step would be to get employment protection. So hopefully in the future if he's sitting on a com it eee, he might remember this little issue.

IMO, we'll see the integrated elements used extensively given the drop in numbers affecting the PDF.
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

We got the integration presentation for the third time last week. This question was aked a number of times and on all occasions the answer was YES. You can train with both the integrated and your normal unit.

Comment

we were told no, you will be a member of your sister pdf unit only part-time . does anyone know? do the powers that be know ? but good news you get your own plce cefo an dpm raingear......yippeeeeeeee , where do i sign?
                      :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Originally posted by UniSol View Post
                        You can train with both the integrated and your normal unit.
                        Your integrated unit will be your normal unit, you will be transfered from for example A Coy 65 Res Inf Bn to C Coy 5 Inf Bn. You would just be doing a course / parading with a different unit - you will be a member of that unit and as far as your RDF unit is concerned you are off their books.

Comment

Ha ha. I went straight to the top of the line a few weeks ago. Talking to the Lt.Col on the HMG shoot, he asked how I felt about the integration. Between the .50cal bursts I managed to get a nod of approval that the the most positve step would be to get employment protection. So hopefully in the future if he's sitting on a com it eee, he might remember this little issue.

IMO, we'll see the integrated elements used extensively given the drop in numbers affecting the PDF.
                          good job, this is going to be the main stumbling block of the integration
                          Ack ack ack ack ack..Kaboom!! hooray!!!! arrrrrr....
                          Pedro lacks political experience

Comment

Originally posted by UniSol View Post
                            You can train with both the integrated and your normal unit.
                            We were told that if we joined up we were not allowed to be in the barracks on normal parade nights, although we would be able to attend old unit's camps ect. (unpiad but fed & housed) with the PDF CO's permission.
                            The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
                            They were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MOB87 View Post
                              We were told that if we joined up we were not allowed to be in the barracks on normal parade nights, although we would be able to attend old unit's camps ect. (unpiad but fed & housed) with the PDF CO's permission.
                              Thats a laughable situation.
                              Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

Working...
                              X