X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirements

[Questions from Dail Debates 26 October 2006]

Defence Forces Personnel.

184. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Defence the retirement age for the rank of commandant, colonel, lieutenant colonel and all ranks of general within the Defence Forces; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35058/06]

185. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Defence the number of commandants due to retire on age grounds for each of the years 2007 to 2011; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35059/06]

186. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Defence the number of colonels due to retire on age grounds for each of the years 2007 to 2011; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35060/06]

187. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Defence the number of lieutenant colonels due to retire on age grounds for each of the years 2007 to 2011; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35061/06]

188. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Defence the number of generals due to retire on age grounds for each of the years 2007 to 2011; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35062/06]

Minister for Defence (Mr. O’Dea): I propose to take Questions Nos. 181 to 188, inclusive, together.

The retirement ages for the rank of Commandant, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel and all rank of General are as follows; -

Rank Retirement age
    Commandant 56
    Lieutenant Colonel 58
    Colonel 60
    Brigadier General 61
    Major General 62
    Lieutenant General 63

With regards to your questions in relation to the number of officers due to retire on age grounds. Please see the following Tabular Statement ‘B’ which details the number of officers in the rank of Commandant, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, Brigadier General, Major General and Lieutenant General respectively due to retire on age grounds in each of the years 2007 to 2011 inclusive. There are no immediate plans to extend the retirement age of officers ranks in the Defence Forces.

The 2000 White Paper on Defence and the earlier Defence Force Review Implementation Plan both recommended reduction to retirement ages in an effort to address the age profile and fitness of the Defence Forces. More recently on the other hand, the retirement age for people recruited into some areas of the public service has been increased. A trend of improvement in the age profile in the Defence Force has been achieved through a programme that included early retirement packages, regular recruitment and short-term contracts.

A key element in military life is the need for personnel to maintain a level of fitness for combat readiness. There is constant need to balance this requirement with the need to retain experience and expertise particularly at managerial level in the Defence Forces. I will continue to monitor the needs of the Defence Forces in this area and mindful of ongoing experiences in other areas of the public services will introduce change in this area if required.

Tabular Table ‘B’
    The numbers of officers from the rank of Commandant upwards
    due to retire on age grounds in each of the years 2007 to 2011 inclusive

Year Cmdt Lt Col Col B-Gen Maj Gen Lt-Gen
    2007 12 10 9 1 0 1
    2008 12 12 2 2 1 0
    2009 17 9 7 2 0 0
    2010 19 18 8 2 1 0
    2011 32 20 5 0 0 0

Still some hope of advancement to come

So shreenan is going this next year. Good or a bad thing????
    Are those numbers inclusive of RDF officers i wonder?
    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Hedgehog will be pleased.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hedgehog will be pleased.
        NO i wont because

shreenan is going this next year
        now if it was , that he is going today

yipee yipeee

but dont forget his legacy is still there with that stupid pintless needless a7

and dignty in the workplace shite
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by happenin View Post
          So shreenan is going this next year. Good or a bad thing????
          Are those numbers inclusive of RDF officers i wonder?
          The figures are only for PDF

[do we have any RDF full Colonels or Generals (YET)]

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran Marum View Post
            The figures are only for PDF

[do we have any RDF full Colonels or Generals (YET)]
            We have 4 Lt Cols

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...3&postcount=59

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
              Who does the 4th Lt Col belong to?
              But there's no danger
              It's a professional career
              Though it could be arranged
              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
              If you're out of luck you're out of work
              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                Who does the 4th Lt Col belong to?
                DFTC

Comment

does he belong to RDFTA?
                  But there's no danger
                  It's a professional career
                  Though it could be arranged
                  With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                  If you're out of luck you're out of work
                  We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                    does he belong to RDFTA?
                    Yes, he does. Tasked with responsible for all training in the RDF. Poison chalice really.
                    Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Comment

bit off topic maybe..but an officers retirement age is not mandatory...individuals can be asked to continue their service beyond retirement age..if it is felt that there services are believed to be worthy of such a request. It has been the case of some officers who did not come through the cadet school and there fore not eligible for appointment above the rank of Cmdt or Lt Cdr to continue until the retirement age of the rank above them and even a rank above that.

this of course applies to PDF ranks only.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Have been corrected on this by PM that you Dogwatch....the situation of being invited to continue past the mandatory age limits was abolished about 8 to 10 years ago I have been informed.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Incorrect HPT, the Minister still has a certain amount discretion (I know of it happening very recently). However the situations were it would be used are probably very rare.

Comment

Only repeating what I was told in this case....I knew the former to be correct becuase of a relative mine who had served beyound the capping on his rank. I was informed by p.m. last night that this was no longer the case..horses for courses I'm sure.

Comment

PDF (Line) Officers ages of retirement are mandatory, however, Direct Entry Officers and Line Officers who transfer into Technical Corps as Technical Officers (Engr, Ord, Med, Legal) currently can serve up to 65 years regardless of rank. I believe this is being reviewed.
                              Up to twenty years ago, officers could apply for what was commonly called intervention (a two year extension of their retiring age), If granted by the Minister, the officer would perform admin tasks only, could not go overseas and could not be promoted.

Comment

Working...
                              X