Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• views on support corps

hi troops,
    just wondering what your views on support units is ,i am in one and we work a lot with regular and reserve units, any bad experiences or stories of shoddy practices and suggestions of improvements would be apprecieted.
    The men work well under constant supervision and cornered like rats in a trap

REMFS!

(Just kidding,the defence forces couldnt function without the loggies.Just dont tell the infantry! )
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

There's not enough of you.
      Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
        any bad experiences or stories of shoddy practices and suggestions of improvements would be apprecieted.
        Engineering (Read "Imagineering") familiarisation course in 2005 for Southern Brigade was utter scutter. Cpls, acting Sgt's and still not a clue between them of how to even rig up a basic lifting device, let alone join two anchorages together. The Senior NCO's believed that the ESB was their stores and that the ESB method of doing things was the right way, never mind the DF manuals.

Their CS and PDF CO (Capt) wanted me to become an officer with them if i defected!

Still, we made our own fun when we got a, and I qoute, "Sunshine Pass" on the sunday.
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
          Engineering (Read "Imagineering") familiarisation course in 2005 for Southern Brigade was utter scutter. Cpls, acting Sgt's and still not a clue between them of how to even rig up a basic lifting device, let alone join two anchorages together. The Senior NCO's believed that the ESB was their stores and that the ESB method of doing things was the right way, never mind the DF manuals.

Their CS and PDF CO (Capt) wanted me to become an officer with them if i defected!

Still, we made our own fun when we got a, and I qoute, "Sunshine Pass" on the sunday.
          This sounds like it needs further clarification....
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            This sounds like it needs further clarification....
            Weull, the unit Cmdr came over to see how we were getting on learnign how to tie ropes and to wrap and frap. Seeing that we were all so good, and it being such a lovely warm day, he gave us the rest of the sunday off by administering a "Sunshine Pass" to everyone.

Our unit went straight out to the nearest beach all day, playing volleyball and ehhhehm, "Birdwatching". Finished all off by a great night in the pub with a spot of latenight volleyball between females and males back in Barracks.
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
              hi troops,
              just wondering what your views on support units is ,i am in one and we work a lot with regular and reserve units, any bad experiences or stories of shoddy practices and suggestions of improvements would be apprecieted.
              This thread could easily start a Flame war

But my 2 cents

The Support units know how to do their day to day job..... BUT that is all. I've been on exercise with medics where they knew all the First aid stuff etc, but knew nothing about Casevac, CAPs, CCPs, etc. They had to deal with simulated casualties moving from front line to CCp to CAP and basically didn't understand where they came into the scheme of things within the Coy in advance.
              The same goes for S&T. A convoy would come under fire and the infantry would react. However the drivers would just wait in the truck. I once saw a DS declare a driver dead for not taking cover. The driver smiled and said "But I'm only a driver".
              Basically, they are well able to do their own day to day jobs but are unable to "Support" Infantry. They are Combat Support or Combat Service Support units but the whole "Combat" dimension seems to be left out. In the USMC every marine is a rifleman and all can be used as infantry in an emergency. I doubt the same is true with some support units here.

Now Artillery and cavalry are a different ball game as they operate in direct support of infantry or act independently. Never had a problem with them although I wonder how many Infantry can call in Artillery Support? (They may have to support us but we also have to be trained to utilise them properly)

Now, I am not trying to start a Flame war. I am just giving my opinion based on my experiences. I know that there are a lot of very good CS & CSS units out there. My opinions are based on local units and some aren't great.

MPs..... well they're MPs.

Comment

Don't forget the elite of the reserve, the Air Defence
                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                  Now Artillery and cavalry are a different ball game as they operate in direct support of infantry or act independently. Never had a problem with them although I wonder how many Infantry can call in Artillery Support? (They may have to support us but we also have to be trained to utilise them properly)
                  this is true and fair balls for admitting it. most people i talk to have the chuck norris idea of warfare.. especially when it comes to arty support
                  But there's no danger
                  It's a professional career
                  Though it could be arranged
                  With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                  If you're out of luck you're out of work
                  We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                    Never had a problem with them although I wonder how many Infantry can call in Artillery Support? (They may have to support us but we also have to be trained to utilise them properly)
                    It's not the infantry's job to call in artillery fire (normally, that is. I think that Recce Pls are trained in it, and there are probably others). The artillery Bty has FOO parties who travel with the infantry Bn (or Coy, or Pl, or even independantly, depending on the situation), and whose job is to call down fire where they are ordered to.

Comment

And if the FOO gets dead?

does anyone remember what happen to the medic in saving private ryan?

everyone should have the basic knowledge of fire supp, sigs, first aid, and so forth . so in a shit heamhorragh they can help themselves if those who are supposed to do these jobs are unavailable.
                      But there's no danger
                      It's a professional career
                      Though it could be arranged
                      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                      If you're out of luck you're out of work
                      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                        It's not the infantry's job to call in artillery fire (normally, that is. I think that Recce Pls are trained in it, and there are probably others). The artillery Bty has FOO parties who travel with the infantry Bn (or Coy, or Pl, or even independantly, depending on the situation), and whose job is to call down fire where they are ordered to.
                        Yes & No. I don't want to get technical about it (Restricted Info) but every officer should know.

Comment

Originally posted by Poiuyt
                          They had to deal with simulated casualties moving from front line to CCp to CAP and basically didn't understand where they came into the scheme of things within the Coy in advance.
                          Is it not the CS's job to evacuate personnel from the CCP to CAP?

The same goes for S&T. A convoy would come under fire and the infantry would react. However the drivers would just wait in the truck.
                          If I was the driver I'd be drying to drive out the kill zone.

It's like everything - if they don't get the chance to practice???
                          Last edited by Docman; 1 November 2006, 18:51.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Is it not the CS's job to evacuate personnel from the CCP to CAP?
                            It is his responsibility, but not his job.

Comment

God bless the support units. They're there to support us and they do a good job of it too. I only wish there could be more inter unit training such as medics coming to the infantry for tactical training and infantry lads going to the likes of transport for driving courses. It should not only be on the ground that they support us but in barracks as well.
                              Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                              Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                              do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Working...
                              X