X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting if true.....but probably not

from wikipedia on the predator UAV page...yes I know

International operations

Since the end of 2004 it is also used by the Italian Air Force. It is currently being tested along with the Israeli RQ-5 Hunter by the Irish Defence Forces
    It is currently being tested alongside the Predator by the Irish Defence Forces.
    ^
    it's also on the Hunter UAV page
    Last edited by mutter nutter; 13 November 2006, 02:45.
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Well... its wikipedia after all... you just never know what yer getting.

Comment

how many PC9s could you buy for the price of one (ok, 4 + uplink & command centre for the full system) of those? and training its crew of 55? Is it on the same sort of trial as the spanish "hummer"? It could be very handy for FARs' OP work and cav reccie but its probably WAY too expensive.
      Last edited by MOB87; 14 November 2006, 17:39. Reason: include details of system
      The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
      They were wrong.

Comment

hi all
        No doubt, if the DF are seen to buy an Israeli product there'll be the usual anti-Israeli/pro-Palestinian backlash, questions in the Dail,etc.the usual tripe..
        55 to keep a single Predator going? Perhaps Michael O Leary should be taken on to reduce to staffing levels to credible amounts..
        regards
        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          55 to keep a single Predator going?
          well it was in the same article so who knows?
          The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
          They were wrong.

Comment

Well, wouldn't techies be taught how to work the computers? Engineers for constructing them? People to pilot them? Theres more to pointing it to the sky. I don't think 55 people is that high, especially when you think that they have to pass on this information to other soldiers in a few years time.

Comment

I think the $50million System cost per unit + support costs would be more of a consideration than man power levels. It takes 1 pilot and two sensor operators to combat operate. Let alone ground crew.
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Fantasy.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Fantasy.
                  the Predator 100% agree with you Goldie, the Hunter though may just be in the range of what they want
                  Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

BTW, someone on milphots said that the DF were evaluating the Galileo Falco UAV, from Italy, I'll try to dig up a photo.

edited for pic
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mutter nutter; 14 November 2006, 23:34.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      hi all
                      No doubt, if the DF are seen to buy an Israeli product there'll be the usual anti-Israeli/pro-Palestinian backlash, questions in the Dail,etc.the usual tripe..
                      55 to keep a single Predator going? Perhaps Michael O Leary should be taken on to reduce to staffing levels to credible amounts..
                      regards
                      GttC

Why would there be. We have bought their equipment in the past?

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                        Why would there be. We have bought their equipment in the past?
                        Yes, take a look at your helmet, GttC.

Comment

The company level UAVs are really not much more than the average $600 R/C airplane with a camera and transmitter.

What I like is the pilots of the larger American UAVs, who fly them from their home in Florida, were sent to SERE school and wear flight suits. They finally stopped the SERE thing a year ago, but they still wear the flight suits.

NTM
                          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

hi there
                            I know the lid is Israeli but even the peaceniks know that a lid, even an Israeli one, is an item of protective clothing, that doesn't launch missiles into Gaza and blast Hizis to atoms within their tatty old Mercs.The peaceniks also hate the fact that the Israeli DF are merely using the Hizbollah's tactics back at them.
                            If the DF do get UAVs, just wait til the Donners stick their oar in!
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Working...
                            X