Bit of help advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of help advice needed

I was born in England to irish parents i hold an irish passport can i join the rdf?

Im currently at university in Lancashire in England and have two years left but my folks have moved back to Tipperary and i will proberly go back there for the summer(three months) is it worth me joining the rdf during that time or shall i just wait till im totally finish uni ,but i do go to Ireland quite a bit so should be able to complete the mandatory days for the year.

oh one last thing i dont speak irish will this prove a problem

thank you all

Originally posted by MCGRATH84 View Post
    I was born in England to irish parents i hold an irish passport can i join the rdf?

Im currently at university in Lancashire in England and have two years left but my folks have moved back to Tipperary and i will proberly go back there for the summer(three months) is it worth me joining the rdf during that time or shall i just wait till im totally finish uni ,but i do go to Ireland quite a bit so should be able to complete the mandatory days for the year.

oh one last thing i dont speak irish will this prove a problem

thank you all
    Wait til you finish Uni lad, 3 months a year isnt enough to be honest generally there is a cut off date for recruitment and the like. Although it is during the busiest times of the RDF the summer camp. Wait til you finish and then if you are moving back check out the units in your locality
    Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Above is a org map structure. I dont know where you are in Tipp but the units in the county are 32 Inf Bn mainly located around Tipp town and the border with Limerick, 31 Cav located around Clonmel and the area along the Cork and Waterford Border and then 31 Far. in and around Templemore and Nenagh.
    All of them are totally different in what they do and what their roles are so your not lacking in choice. If its more of a CSS(Combat Service Support engineers, signals, medics, transport) role you want then the best place would be Limerick barracks though where you are in the county might make this a fairly big journey.
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

And as for not speaking Irish, don't worry, no one else can either. It'll just take a little while to pick up the orders.
      Last edited by Dagon; 28 November 2006, 15:18.
      I saw Elvis. He sat between me and bigfoot on the UFO.

Comment

Thanks for the advice im located near Thurles so i suppose the Clonmel units would suit me best cheers fellas i appreciate the advice.

Comment

You must be ordinarly resident of the Republic of Ireland (ie you must live here).

Don't worry about Irish - not a problem, you just have to recognise what you have to do when the order is given (and that will be taught to you).

The only problem you may have is that your security clearance will take longer (as you have lived in England) - although from recent experience it won't take much longer at all.

Comment

There is an artillery unit in Thurles.

So yes the Cavalry in Clonmel would possibly be the best bet....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Arty in Thurles the closest....unless you have your own transport to Clonmel..or cashel.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Why not join the T.A. for 2 years?

You'll get 10 times more experience in that then you will in the rdf plus you might get to go on active service which NO rdf man will!!!
                Irishman serving in Her Majesty's Splendid Armed Forces, seeking fame and fortune and bringing light to the dark places of the World.

Comment

Originally posted by super_soldier View Post

You'll get 10 times more experience in that then you will in the rdf plus you might get to go on active service which NO rdf man will!!!
                  Like he says.

Comment

if youre making some type of statement about the half arsed policies of the "Management" in how they are dealing ineffectively with there reserve component, then ok.

but try put it a little less subtely.

if your taking an unjustified swing at the RDF then Fcku off...if we lads do it, its because we work with them and inter service rivalry and slagging is ok.

What's not ok is someone from outside the greenish family having an unjustified pop.
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

My lord....the PDF defending the RDF....well kinda...good on you Hedgy
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

"Blackberry defends Sandbags shock...!!!"

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I always defend you lot

we in the PDF need you lot

otherwise where would we go for easy women

and where would we sell our spare gear
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            I always defend you lot

we in the PDF need you lot

otherwise where would we go for easy women

and where would we sell our spare gear

LOL so true

Comment

Originally posted by super_soldier View Post

He's going to jack in university to go to Iraq is he?
                              sigpic
                              Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                              My favourite moment was when the
                              Originally posted by hedgehog
                              red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
                              X