Army Reserve Officers - Sam Browne belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Reserve Officers - Sam Browne belts

The current issue of An Cosantoir includes a picture taken at this years’ Eastern Brigade PNCO passing out containing Army Reserve Officers wearing Sam Browne belts. Can anyone tell me when (or if) permission was given to wear these? Also, is the current Glengarry here to stay, or is the peaked cap coming in?
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

SB approval

www.1bderdf.com/bdenews.htm, bottom of page, Sam Browne belts - August 2006

Comment

Glengarry is here to stay.

Sam Brownes are part of the Army Reserve Officer's uniform by order of COS through D Admin.

Comment

Fair enough. Personally I don't see it as a positive move but thats just my opinion.
        "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
        Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

“Not positive” is just a nicer way of saying negative. Its Christmas! The following is my honest opinion, I’ve no problem defending it and I apologise in advance for any unwarranted offence.

I think Officers are the weak link in the Army Reserve. The differences between the PDF and RDF become more acute as you ascend the ranks, but in my experience while most NCOs will be able to make a pretty good attempt to carry out their role to an acceptable standard, Officers are a completely out of their dept. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have never met an Army Reserve Officer who came anywhere near the standards that one would expect from Commissioned personnel.

The Army reserve is an organisation where the dregs float to the top. Generally the least fit, worst trained and worst-turned members of any unit are found in the commissioned ranks. They make little effort to carry out their roles, either doing so little that I wonder if they are on camp at all, or else jumping in as some sort of super-NCO and sidelining the actual training NCOs.

I see the efforts of Officers to get permission to wear belts and peaked caps as typical childish imitation of PDF officers. They can’t equal them in the performance of their roles, so better try and equal them in the dress stakes. Pathetic.

I don’t mean to offend anyone here, but I tell it as I see it.
          Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Like everything there are good officers and bad officers, I have seen RDF officers who couldnt lead their dog on a walk and I have met officers who give spend nearly half a working week on their own time doing RDF related activities (outside of parade nights and fielddays/weekends) I have also met PDF officers who are marking time til their pension and couldnt be arsed doing anything.

I dont care if my officers wear sam brownes and swords (i do care how our alleged representitve organisation persued it and the resulting creaming of trousers when the CoS allowed them have them) how they appear isnt nearly as important as what they do...
            You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Should also be noted the bad image RDFA puts out to the PDF by persueing minor issues like Sam Browns and Peaked Caps instead of major gear issues like decent rain gear etc.

Comment

Funding for the provision of belts is currently under discussion. Pending the conclusion of these discussions, RDF officers who are currently in possession of Sam Browne belts are now authorised to wear them.
                why would anyopne have been in possession of these belts prior to approval

it was a bit of a risk paying a few bob and not knowing as such would permission be given

or was it that much of a risk

We're not allowed to tell that CoS that, thanks, but no thanks, we don't want Sam Brownes, that you have given us, for our officers anymore, but we'll have some Rain Gear instead please.
                Correct

but you are allowed ask and request that the sammy browniees be held back until such a

time as the men are kitted out to a requisite standard.

feed the horses- feed the men-- feed yourself
                Basic leadership 101
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  Correct

but you are allowed ask and request that the sammy browniees be held back until such a

time as the men are kitted out to a requisite standard.

Basic leadership 101
                  Sam Brownes are bought individually by officers, not issued by the DF, so the logic of "I don't have raingear so he could have a fancy belt" doesn't hold.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

Basic leadership 101
                    Horsies before your men!? Oh wait - the horses are the feed for the men
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Sam Brownes are bought individually by officers, not issued by the DF, so the logic of "I don't have raingear so he could have a fancy belt" doesn't hold.
                      I dont understand your argument there Barry

Sam Brownes are bought individually by officers, not issued by the DF,

Is this not the very very very same as lads buying there own medals.

Nor do I understand the need for RDF Officers to absolutley loutley must have a sam

browne

if some one can expalin it to me without using the words

"we didnt ask for it"

"the COS suprised us"

"Its purchaced out of our own money"
                      Last edited by hedgehog; 12 December 2006, 22:05.
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Maybe their jealous of enlisted men carring bayonets during cerimonial drill and their compensating with a longer shiny knife
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                          I've seen trash like this levied out here before. RDFRA is mandated by it's delegates to it's ADC to go an look for things. Rain Gear and Sam Brownes have been on the list for years, because some unit proposed a motion that they go looking for them
                          And the got them, fair play to them they achieved something, i think it was the carry on afterward was the problem, it was highlighted as the major achievement of RDFRA's recent activities, when lets face it it was nothing more than a sop at the organisation, great you can wear a sam browne anything important on the radar?? recognise a sop when you see it, not lap it up as a marvelous "achievement"
                          You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Roles / Jobs within the platoon (basics):

Pln Cmdr - Lead the platoon / supervise training
                            Pln Sgt - Administer the platoon / run the platoon while the officer isn't there
                            Section Cmdr - Lead & train the section
                            Section 2IC - as Pln Sgt (except its a section not platoon)

Comment

Iknow an officer who imediatly went out and bought the sam browne AND the sword to go along with it. They'll never get to use them. Ever, but hey why not.
                              To be honest, I get the gear when i need it so i've no complaints. When i get it on personal issue i'll get it. I'm in no rush. Its just something else to clutter up the wardrobe that i can get a Q to mind for me untill i have to have it.
                              Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                              Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                              do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Working...
                              X