Officers' Headgear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officers' Headgear

I was reading the November issue of An Cosantoir, in particular the article on Col Clancy. In that article there was a photograph of the officers in his Bn. The photo was either pre-WW2 or the early days of WW2. Some officers wore a peaked cap and some wore a forage cap. Given that this was a posed photograph you would expect that everyone would be appropriately addressed (i.e. if it was deemed to be SD No1's, then all officers would be dressed as per SD No 1s).

Was the headgear a distinciton between Reserve and Permanent officers in those days? When reserve officers were mobilized during the emergency did they fill in slots in existing Bns or form units themselves?

I hear the sound of a large can of worms being opened

what type of sight is on the steyr

can Dutch wings be worn

can I wear my grandads medals

SB for Officers of teh RDF
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

hear hear
      :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Lets try and get some serious answers here. The unit was 18 Bn and it was in 1942, I am assuming the guys in the forrage caps are Volunteers.

Comment

Officers cap

I have noticed recently, the amount of bull about medals, peak caps, sam browns, paratrooper wings and all the rest of the walter mitty insignia, listen lads, we are a peacetime force, I have known in my time in the FCA/RDF, guys who have more kit than the rapid reaction force. The current issue of kit, for all ranks, is the best ever. Period.
          We are not the PDF, whom I have nothing but the greatest respect for, but some of my fellow RDF men need to get a grip with their self image. Otherwise we could end up walking around Bks looking like one of those tinpot African dictators
          Attached Files

Comment

Listen, if I wanted to have a discussion on the current issue of kit, complain about officers wearing Sam Brownes, peak caps, bush hats, pink tutus or whatever I would have posted this on the Officers and Sam Brownes thread.

Comment

[Mod mode on]
              It is a legitimate question. This is not the thread for slagging off officers. If you know anything about the historical headgear of officers, namely the reason for a mix of forage caps and peaked caps in the pictures mentioned, then feel free to post. If you are only here to slag officers/the RDF, then take it to another thread. The next person to post something derogatory in this thread will recieve points.
              [Mod mode off]

I saw the picture myself and was wondering about the mix.

Comment

Was there a major expansion in the military at the beginning of WWII? Maybe they just hadn't produced enough new service caps?

Mod: As an officer, can I slag off officers?

NTM
                Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

This is not the thread for slagging off officers
                  which is the slaggin off Officers thread then

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    which is the slaggin off Officers thread then
                    If your gripe is with the brown leather implement used to hold in the stomach of RDF officers, the Sam Browne thread is the place to be.

For slagging officers in general, I dunno, I suppose you could create your own thread

And Cal Tanker, officers are only allowed slag officers who hold the same commission. Go find a US army officer and you can go nuts.

Comment

If your gripe is with the brown leather implement used to hold in the stomach of RDF officers, the Sam Browne thread is the place to be.

For slagging officers in general, I dunno, I suppose you could create your own thread

And Cal Tanker, officers are only allowed slag officers who hold the same commission. Go find a US army officer and you can go nuts

your really really determined to spoil all my fun arent you

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        your really really determined to spoil all my fun arent you
                        That's what modding is all about.....

Comment

who deleted my "yes mien fuher" comment??
                          :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

I did. Keep to the topic or you will be moderated.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                              I was reading the November issue of An Cosantoir, in particular the article on Col Clancy. In that article there was a photograph of the officers in his Bn. The photo was either pre-WW2 or the early days of WW2. Some officers wore a peaked cap and some wore a forage cap. Given that this was a posed photograph you would expect that everyone would be appropriately addressed (i.e. if it was deemed to be SD No1's, then all officers would be dressed as per SD No 1s).

Was the headgear a distinciton between Reserve and Permanent officers in those days? When reserve officers were mobilized during the emergency did they fill in slots in existing Bns or form units themselves?
                              I could be wrong, but I think staff officers were wearing the forage cap at the time.
                              Maybe an e-mail to Military Archives would get the answer?
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X