Belts for the gpmg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belts for the gpmg

Im not sure if this falls under operational info or not so ill word it carefully and apologies if it is.

I was watching a few videos on you tube of various foreign militaries firing the gpmp.

Many of them seem to use disintegrating belts rather than links of 50. Correct me if im wrong but would they not be the better option rather than having maybe several linked belts to the left and half a belt dangling to the right?

Is It just that they're a pain in the whole to load if you have to link up another segment every 2 or 3 rounds(if that indeed is the way in which you load it)?
    These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it.

For one, it's GPMG. I edited the thread title to the correct spelling.

As for the reason we use belts rather than disintegrating link, one word: Cost.

Comment

What, the GPMG Getting Sam Browne Belts too?
      Meh.

Comment

Its just as easy to link 50 round belts together as it is for disintigrating link belts. However, the 50 round belts are a damn sight easier to load..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Disintegrated belts come preloaded and are used by the Defence Forces. However, the two types are not interchangeable in the MAG, ie you need a different type of top cover for disint link........OSOK

Comment

I see, now this may seem like a stupid question so forgive me, i know very little about support weapons. What is the advantage of using the disintegrating belt on the .5 if its cheaper to have longer belts? I would have figured the .5 to be a less mobile weapon therefore having long belts would not be a major inconvenience but as the MAG is a section support weapon that mobility and convenience would be the key?
            Bit by bit i learn.....
            These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it.

Comment

Originally posted by garv View Post
              I see, now this may seem like a stupid question so forgive me, i know very little about support weapons. What is the advantage of using the disintegrating belt on the .5 if its cheaper to have longer belts? I would have figured the .5 to be a less mobile weapon therefore having long belts would not be a major inconvenience but as the MAG is a section support weapon that mobility and convenience would be the key?
              Bit by bit i learn.....
              As per previous reply about GPMG, but in reverse. That is, the .5 doesn't accommodate articulated belts.

Comment

Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
                Disintegrated belts come preloaded and are used by the Defence Forces. However, the two types are not interchangeable in the MAG, ie you need a different type of top cover for disint link........OSOK
                Not true!!!
                I saw a box with both types of belt in it only last week! And the top cover is no different!
                WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

I don't think so. I've used both and it creates problems in the weapon, ie stoppages. The top covers we used had a split feed pawl and a different cartridge stop. Its there for a reason.......

Comment

OK. I didn't fire it so I don't know! But if you're right there's somebody going to be answering tough questions if the excrement hits the AirCon!
                    WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

was on an ex once where we had a ex british army lad on the mag , handed him a new belt and he proceeded to load a new one and toss the old one into a furze bush ,could not belive me ! when i told him we needed them back ,
                      "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Hi all
                        I thought the disintegrating links are preferred for aircraft/vehicle use, as they can be ejected out of the vehicle or caught in a bag or box. Any comment?
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

The normal belt takes up just as much space as the disintigrating links...and its a lot easier to throw out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                            Hi all
                            I thought the disintegrating links are preferred for aircraft/vehicle use, as they can be ejected out of the vehicle or caught in a bag or box. Any comment?
                            regards
                            GttC
                            The Panhards GPMGs used disintegrating links which got ejected out the side of the turret. I presume the Mowag uses a similar system.

Was on an exercise with an artillery unit once where we had to provide a Section each of HMG and GPMG SF. The arty was supplying the ammo. I asked the platoon commander if they were providing linked SF ammo and got a blank stare. Happily I brought along the belts and belt filler on the day when the Arty gave us 10,000 loose 7.62 rounds 15 minutes before the shoot.

All GPMGs should use disintegrating links because who wants to go retrieving empty belts in the middle of a firefight.
                            sigpic
                            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                            My favourite moment was when the
                            Originally posted by hedgehog
                            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

By Panhard I assume you mean the M3 APC?

Comment

Working...
                              X