No announcement yet.

RDF Service Medal in Minature/Ranting about mess dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about split service though? What medal would personnell who have say 4 years in the FCA and 3 years in the RDF get.

Comment

Originally posted by EL_CAPATIANO View Post
      Nevermind when the service is due, what about to commerate the change over from F.C.A. and SM. All RDF personell from GI to Lt. Col. should be contacting their RDFRA reps. to lobby the Dept. Of Defence to produce new medal. After all there is approx. 11,000 RDF personnell on the "BOOK'S". MMI are making overseas medals for th Dept. surley it cannot be that hard to get 11,000 made. It wouldn't cost that much.
      Ah, so you would advocate pinning a gong on every current serving member, regardless of status; a blanket issue, hmm?
      A recruit sworn in two weeks before the change-round gets a gong, but not the old codger with 30 years service who retired on the same night?

Comment

Originally posted by Parts View Post
        Ah, so you would advocate pinning a gong on every current serving member, regardless of status; a blanket issue, hmm?
        A recruit sworn in two weeks before the change-round gets a gong, but not the old codger with 30 years service who retired on the same night?
        It is not unusual. See the British Queens Golden Jubilee Medal. Every service man with 5 years service serving on 6 Feb 2002 (Including Royal Fleet Auxiliary personnel, Police, Fire and Ambulance Services, the Coastguard, Royal National Lifeboat Institution and Mountain Rescue services and others) got a medal.

Personally I am not in favour of it but there seems to be a majority of people who want it.

Comment

Originally posted by goc132 View Post
          The Stand Down Medal for the FCA/ASM is being requested since the ADC of RDFRA in 2005,the military have set up a medals board the minister has also being asked to date there is no result.
          RDFRA must chase this up as it is a motion that has been carried at the last two ADC so it must keep been raised until RDFRA get an answer,but dont hold your breath on this either!

I really think this medal thing is a joke. I have a number of years service and still dont advocate a stand down medal - to me it is in the same category and swords and sam brown belts.

RDFRA should be looking into the more serious topics such as recruitment campaigns and access to better training not stupid medals.
          I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Originally posted by Parts View Post
            It could be issued to everyone with 3/12/21 years service at the time of the reorg, like it is supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
              RDFRA should be looking into the more serious topics such as recruitment campaigns and access to better training not stupid medals.
              RDFRA only do what Reservists want. The Majority want it. RDFRA do it.

If the majority didn't want it, it wouldn't be an issue.

The Sam Brownes & Swords is a "parity of esteem" issue and is in no way similiar to a stand down medal.

Comment

No offense, Docman, but "parity of esteem" can be obtained in far better ways then a stupid belt and an even sillier toothpick[IMHO]...........

But this rubbish over a stand down medal is even sillier, if thats possible,it would make more sense to have done a medal for the reserve who were involved in some particular meaningful task, such as after the Air India disaster, or even the special olympics.
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I think its an insane idea to give a medal for changing the name of an organisation. Did the PDF get a medal for their re-org?

This is typical of the shiny medal syndrome - another meaningless trinket to adorn a uniform. This desire for accessories is a sure sign of an organisation that has no confidence in itself

RDFRA only do what Reservists want
                  No, RDFRA do what RDFRA want, specifically the cabal that run it. Its a farce of an organisation and probably completly un-reformable.
                  "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

The trouble with the stand-down medal is "some people" want it. These people are the ones who vote at RDFRA meetings also.

This is not a slag at the people who run the RDFRA , they take on policy from ADC. Now if someone was to move a floor motion at ADC to trash that stuff and concentrate on core issues or someone was to write a guide saying "Here are the things we can concentrate on and actually win something on"

Oh and also if the motions for ADC might be published where the members can read them
                    and a minutes of the ADC be distributed to members rather than relying on the unreliable unit rep system.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• I agree about the reading of the motions but if you contact RDFRA HQ they will I am sure give you a password to get into the site.

On the issue of the Stand Down Medal or other items RDFRA should look for everything the members want even if that means pink uniforms.

But on the case of operational items,uniforms,boots,wet gear etc
                      IF THE GOVERNMENT AND THE MILITARY ARE SERIOUS ABOUT A
                      RESERVE THEN THESE ITEMS SHOULD BE THERE WITHOUT EVEN
                      LOOKING FOR THEM.

IF THE GOVERNMENT DONT WANT A RESERVE THEN I AS A COMMITTED RESERVIST OF 32 YEARS SAY PACK THE WHOLE LOT UP AND GOOD LUCK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parts View Post
                        I love you too..

Comment

• No I dont advocate pinning a gong (what is a gong) on every current serving member it was just a request for every member to look for the issue of a new medal and given at the appropiate time when you have the required service done.
                          I am sure that the old codger with 30 years service who retired on the same night or previous day for that matter would "aquire " one of these medals. The same way any one of us "aquire" any extra kit.
                          Lock and load

Comment

• Originally posted by EL_CAPATIANO View Post
                            I am sure that the old codger with 30 years service who retired on the same night or previous day for that matter would "aquire " one of these medals. The same way any one of us "aquire" any extra kit.
                            By that logic, what's to stop someone from "acquiring" a VC and wearing it? You only wear medals that you have earned.

Comment

• I have a Masonic order myself. Must wear it on parade some time.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parts View Post
                                have a look at your peace keeping medal- that was a blanket issue

It was given as a reward (amongst otherthings) for Unifil winning the Nobel Peace Prize

it was won on the 64 Bn - so using your logic (theres a sentence I never thought I would

say)- any trip after the 64 Bn shouldnt have got it
                                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                                X