Camoflage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camoflage

Does anybody know why on the df website photo gallery, troops in Somalia are wearing US desert camo and in An Cosantoir UN Special theyre wearing greens:confused:

They swapped part-way through the mission. If memory serves, the green uniform reminded the locals too much of the old French uniform, and Somalis had bad memories of French Colonialism. Or something like that.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

THought it was the other way round they went out in desert camo similar the old american choc chip and after the whole american SF Irene mission changed to the OD green as the locals would confuse them with the americans.

As for the French there was a British Somalialand and an Italian Somalialand but I never heard of French Somalialand. I know the frogs had a large legion base in Djibouti but that was handed back years ago and now I think the yanks have it as part of their war on terror.
      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
        THought it was the other way round they went out in desert camo similar the old american choc chip and after the whole american SF Irene mission changed to the OD green as the locals would confuse them with the americans.
        That's correct, the first unit flew out dressed in US desert camo. There's one of the uniforms in the museum in Clonmel. An old Cosantoir from the time has pics of the lads on the way, I'll try and find it.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

It was the italians who were in somalia,..and the French are still in Djibouti,..and not just the legion,..its where they practice low level flying for the air force and army air corps

Comment

The 1st irish tpt coy in somalia shared a camp with the french foreigh legion near Baidoa.There were incidents where ther lads came into conflict with the militias and were confused with americans the french then outfitted our people with their uniform.After this in1995 the defence forces started issuing a locally made version referrred to as the franklin uniform after the manufacturer,j&s franklin.the first unit travelling overseas to be issued this uniform was the 78 irish bn in october of that year.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              The 1st irish tpt coy in somalia shared a camp with the french foreigh legion near Baidoa.There were incidents where ther lads came into conflict with the militias and were confused with americans the french then outfitted our people with their uniform.After this in1995 the defence forces started issuing a locally made version referrred to as the franklin uniform after the manufacturer,j&s franklin.the first unit travelling overseas to be issued this uniform was the 78 irish bn in october of that year.
              we wore a light weight french uniform on the 77 irish bns trip , it was the first time it was issued . Is that the one your referring to?, i ll try n find some pic's .
              Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

weight french uniform
                Franklins
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

AFAIK the first trip to be issued franklins was the 78 bn.There was an interim lightweight combat that i think was only issued to one trip.I met an irish officer serving with untso at Rosh haniqra border crossing while i was serving with the 82 and he was wearing it.There was an example of this uniform in the old bk museum in Cork.It was olive green with slanted flap pockets on the chest .very like the early 80's U.S army uniform.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

AFAIK the first trip to be issued franklins was the 78 bn.There was an interim lightweight combat that i think was only issued to one trip.I met an irish officer serving with untso at Rosh haniqra border crossing while i was serving with the 82 and he was wearing it.There was an example of this uniform in the old bk museum in Cork.It was olive green with slanted flap pockets on the chest .very like the early 80's U.S army uniform.
                    Buddy,it was the 77th ..I was on that trip and we had the franklins..

Comment

Careful now. Apod is never wrong.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Buddy,it was the 77th ..I was on that trip and we had the franklins..
                        (First Pic)The Guy on the Left has "A Coy 77th Inf Bn" on his Shirt.
                        Edit... You were saying Goldie.......
                        You can see the 77th Tab very clearly on the second pic.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Craghopper; 29 December 2006, 03:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          Careful now. Apod is never wrong.....
                          Not true fishy,i am often wrong.I just admit it easier:wink:

irish amy01/ollie i stand corrected.mea culpa.
                          Now can anybody shed some more light on the limited issue american stle o.g uniform.very rare item indeed.
                          Last edited by apod; 29 December 2006, 13:17.

Comment

I wore them on the summer trip in 1996

I think it was the 76 Bn

but I also remember wearing my great ocat and Irish number 1s on a GOH on the 64 Inf Bn

Apod said
                            AFAIK the first trip to be issued franklins was the 78 bn.
                            IA said

APOD is right in the fact there is NO th in Military writing
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I wore them on the summer trip in 1996

I think it was the 76 Bn
                              Thats right..I remember seeing the US type Uniform from the 76th before they went home..Infact IIRC most of the lads on my trip preferred the US type..looked more military.

Comment

Working...
                              X