• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reservists to join full-time soldiers in UN missions

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/fro...138495774.html

Reservists to join full-time soldiers in UN missions
    Conor Lally, Crime Correspondent

Members of the Reserve Defence Force will soon be deployed with full-time soldiers in United Nations missions in international trouble spots such as Darfur and Liberia, the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces, Lieut Gen Jim Sreenan, has said.

The most able of the 13,000 reservists will be "hand-picked" and deployed on a strictly voluntary basis. They will be paid for their service.

In an interview with The Irish Times Gen Sreenan said he believed reservists would help to alleviate pressure on the 10,500 full-time soldiers, as the Defence Forces became more involved in increasingly "complex and robust" missions overseas.

He rejected suggestions that increased participation in such missions and in UN battle groups compromised Ireland's neutrality, saying international military deployments were vital to securing the working environment in developing countries for NGOs and other agencies.

"With military force you can develop security. But as Kofi Annan has said, there is no development without security, and there is no security without development."

While many missions would be dangerous and volatile in the future, such risk was necessary.

"People are inclined to think that 'ah, we're going to go in because it's safe'. But if it's safe, what's the point in going in? There's no need."

On equipment, he said immediate priorities were the replacement of three vessels in the Naval Service fleet and the acquisition of light tactical vehicles for overseas missions.

Gen Sreenan said Army intelligence officers and the Garda had to remain vigilant to the threat posed by Islamic extremists in Ireland who, he said, might seek to launch an attack on Britain from here.

The Army's intelligence service was a lot more active now than before the attacks in the US on September 11th, 2001, he said.

"There's a threat on our back door, in the UK. And there's always a danger that people would use Ireland as a back door to the UK.

"You only have to look across the water in England to see what has been happening since 9/11. You only have to look at the Continent and see what, in Madrid in particular, has happened. One would be very foolish to presume that something couldn't happen here," Gen Sreenan said.

He said that while the Army deafness compensation controversy had been damaging to the Defence Forces, he believed they had now "climbed out" of much of the negativity.

The military parade at Easter had been very well received by the public and he had received "a flood of letters" from members of the public after it. "There was a tremendous reaction to it."
    "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Originally posted by Cosantor
    The most able of the 13,000 reservists will be "hand-picked" and deployed on a strictly voluntary basis. They will be paid for their service.
    Are we talking about the RDF here???

There is no way that the RDF has that numbers. I doubt it even has half that.

Just over 6000 went to camp in 2005. And even these figures don't tell the whole truth with many of these people only showing up for camp.

Comment

ya ya. I'll believe it when i see it.
      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

hmmmm i think i heard this before somewhere........oh yes it was back in 92 when jioned
        :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Overseas next year?

Next year, like tomorrow....
          Take these men and women for your example.
          Like them, remember that posterity can only
          be for the free; that freedom is the sure
          possession of those who have the
          courage to defend it.
          Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
          If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Surel only the integrated body of the RDF would be picked ??
            Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

Who fancies putting there civvy employment on the line..possibly take a cut in pay..loss of advancement..nulify life insurance mortagae cover etc...and have no entitlemnts ater the six months overseas..to say nothing of the two montsh work up time?

Send us a a psotcard when you get there..obtw... you will only be paid bt the UN not the DF....so count out the possibility of actually making any money.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I find the comments on this subject very interesting on this board. If the US, UK and several other countries can do this - why can't Ireland. Sure there would need to be some legislative changes needed but I think there would be plenty of volunteers that would jump at the chance for the experience. I think they would be well prepared and more than capable of doing the job. I think it would also give the PDF a pool of resources that could help alleviate the strain of multiple overseas mission requirements as well as strenthening the Reserve when those folks bring back lessons learned while on deployment.

My bet is that by the end of the decade the first Reserve troops will have been deployed.
                There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Overseas Reserves !

Interesting how this matter progresses in Irish military debates, considering the PDF in the Leb right now are providing security to the Finnish Engr Reserves !

Comment

What kind of training do Swedish and Finnish reserves recieve in comparason to that recieved by Irish reserves
                    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Do they not have a draft in the nordic countries. Ie Everyone serves time in the army and returns yearly for a period of full time training.
                      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                        Are we talking about the RDF here???

There is no way that the RDF has that numbers. I doubt it even has half that.

Just over 6000 went to camp in 2005. And even these figures don't tell the whole truth with many of these people only showing up for camp.
                        Figures are roughly correct as they change on a weekly basis. As regards the PDF figures you have to ask how many are operational, that is what puts the pressure on. How many armies in the world have fifty-nine year old privates on the books?

Reality check please.
                        The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                        (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                          How many armies in the world have fifty-nine year old privates on the books?

Reality check please.
                          Isn't that the sort of carry on that the new contracts are supposed to cut out? This will take time, since the 59 year old privates are on older contracts, and can't just be sacked on a whim.

EDIT: Unless of course you're referring to people who are on the books but nowhere to be seen, which is a different matter completely, and should be stopped.....
                          Last edited by Barry; 29 December 2006, 17:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie View Post
                            What kind of training do Swedish and Finnish reserves recieve in comparason to that recieved by Irish reserves
                            Well worth a read - it puts a lot of things in perspective.......

Comment

Plenty of volunteers but suitable volunteers is a different question. It will happen but there needs to be more than legislative change to make it happen. I think most of the younger guys have failed to look at the big picture.

Its fair enough to ask for volunteers from the PDF who have the mechanisms to help soldiers provide equipment traing and support..the RDf don't have these nor the mechanisms to deal with supporting those left behind should some thing go wrong. The Reorg in token gave the RDF autonomy ..but not the mechanisms to cope logistially with overseas deployment....take simple thing like leave after the event..would an RDF guy be entitled to fully paid leave for this ..or would it be a case of home friday..back to worrk on monday..until all the unforeseen issues are dealth with..how can we move forward..saya guy sustains an injury..will his civvy employer hold open his position until he is fit to return to full time employment..in the case of a disability..the fact he would be unfit or military service is he fit for his old civvy job back.......start thinking outside the box before queueing up...me I want a signed affadavit of all my entitlements and even then I would have second thoughts..this ain't sweden or Finaland..this is the good old banana republic of Ireland..and the only reason the powers that be have considered deploying reserves..is to save a few quid..now look at the big picture.

Its worth remebering that the reservist would be employed for the time of deployment plus training..the soldier is employed for the duration o his contract and has very specific rights that the reservist doesn't...Things like CAFNBO and GANBo ..wdows and orphans spring to mind...!
                              Last edited by hptmurphy; 29 December 2006, 23:11.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X