Defence Farce Postal Service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Farce Postal Service.

I was lisening to the G Ryan show yesterday when I heard an article about irish df troops in liberia not gettin any mail or parcels from home

2 families phoned in to complain so they got your press officer on to explain it.
    Being an officer and obviously having done a politics or management course he gave some b**l s**t excuse about not being able to get parcels sent over as its very far away!!!

Does no one in your high command realise how important mail and goodies from home are to troops on active service?????

Is your resupply setup really that bad?????

Perhaps you should ask my Army to help through our BFPO system????
    Irishman serving in Her Majesty's Splendid Armed Forces, seeking fame and fortune and bringing light to the dark places of the World.

I heard same, and heard a woman who sent home packs by normal post to the Leb.

Might be worth a shot.
    If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Does no one in your high command realise how important mail and goodies from home are to troops on active service?????
      99.99% of our senior Officers have served overseas so yes I would say they really do know the value of post

Is your resupply setup really that bad?????
      Our resupply system is not bad- it will tak improvement but it is getting better

and this is linked to how prosffessional we as an Army are getting

I remember in the 80's going overseas and forget it with post and now it is really getting there

but as the great man said- a lot done but a hell of a lot more to do

just because the post had a problem getting through at the heaviest post time

does not mean that the high command is incompetent

nor does it mean that those responsible havent a clue about resupply

Perhaps you should ask my Army to help through our BFPO system????
      I hate to piss on the flames of your gloating

but our post for Bosnia and Kosovo go through the BFPO

and there was problems there

but you wont find us complaining because we are extremely grateful to the men and

sometime sexy and willing ladies of the BFPO system for all there help

now go ver there and stand in the corner
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I remember hearing how the British Forces in the FYRs envied the Irish DF weatherhavens, sleeping system, and rifles.....

Feel free to contact us if you need some advice on how to keep your troops warm, or if they are looking for a reliabe rifle(Falkland Islands Defence force saw the light).

In the meantime, enough of the trolling.
        Nobody cares.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Whatever about Kosovo where the post went through the BFPO in Slimlines and was very reliable the postal service to Liberia is nothing short of a disgrace.We were told before we went that the largest size parcel would be an A4 envelope and it would only be sent if it was "not too heavy".It was over a month into the trip before letters posted by loved ones the week we left reached us.Now its all well and good looking back on the bad old days of previous missions,but this is the 21st century and we are supposed to be a modern defence forces.yeah right.no good in wanting to send troops here there and everywhere if we cant get a basic thing like the post right

I saw young soldiers in my platoon on their first trip overseas celebrating milestone birthdays like 21st's and getting their cards a month later.Talk about morale killers
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I blame the British army.

Comment

I blame the British army.
              I Dont

and even if they were to blame - I wouldnt go on there web site and slag them off

because that would be disrepcetful to them

just as I can criticise and and slag my sister and brother, I wouldnt stand for anyone

from outside my family from doing it

similarly I can alongside other members of the DF criticise and slag of the DF

I wont stand for strangers from another Army doing it

Comment

You mean super_strangers?

Comment

A good postal service is vital to personnel serving overseas.

But put it in perspective:
                  An Post only deliver 90% of standard letters the next day. Almost all it delivered within 2 working days. Thats within Ireland.

Letters sent to troops in KFOR, will be sent by An Post to the Post Office (UK), who send it to BFPO (UK), who send it to KFOR. The Irish mail is then collected by IRCON from from the BFPO.

There is no relible postal service in Liberia, the DF have a contract with a courier to deliver post (letter post only) to the Irish continent twice a week. Parcels are sent on resupply flights (which may happen once every 1-2 months).

The DF provide an email and phone service for its personnel overseas. Why can't they provide a parcel service, even if it is once/twice a month?

Comment

According to the Federal Express website, you can send a 10kg package from Dublin 6 (i.e., the Brugha) to Monrovia for just under €270, and if sent on monday will arrive by friday. A 1kg package will cost just over €100.

An post charge €20 for a 1kg parcel and about €130 tfor a 10kg one, assuming they'd deliver to Liberia.

After that it's a matter of how much the DF/loving relatives are willing to spend making sure you get your letter/parcel.
                    Take these men and women for your example.
                    Like them, remember that posterity can only
                    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                    possession of those who have the
                    courage to defend it.
                    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

I agree with the opening post. The Liberia contingent mail for the last few trips has been a joke, I sent a personal family DVD to my brother for Xmas with good wishes and it arrived back in January undelivered. When I posed the question to parkgate I was told that only official parcels were bieng delivered to the camp. I then addressed the parcel to the Camp O.C. and stamped it with a D.O.D. dept stamp and you will never guess what ? Jan 2nd my bro phoned saying he got it. (after catching hell from the orderly room). Official parcels to O.C. seem to get through. This will ask the question to why the grunts on the ground risking life and limb for the sake of peace are not bieng afforded the luxury of a "care" package or even proper mail privilages.
                      As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

Originally posted by armedboarder View Post
                        ...This will ask the question to why the grunts on the ground risking life and limb for the sake of peace are not bieng afforded the luxury of a "care" package or even proper mail privilages.
                        Because they are not commissioned officers.
                        sigpic
                        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                        My favourite moment was when the
                        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          An Post only deliver 90% of standard letters the next day. Almost all it delivered within 2 working days. Thats within Ireland.
                          An Post is a joke.

In the past year I have had the experience of ;

a properly addressed letter taking a full week to wend it's way from a solicitor's office to my home address. A distance of 10 miles.

A letter addressed to my home, being returned to sender after no less than two months because she omitted to put the name of the county on the envelope.

A letter addressed to a house named Brandon being delivered to Bandon despite the fact that the rest of the address was not in County Cork.

Liberia probably has a better internal postal system than Ireland.
                          sigpic
                          Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Jesus, it is all getting out of hand. In the 80 & 90s you got mail 14-20 days after it was posted and voice communications home ment a HF link where both sides had to observe voice procedure of saying "over" to allow the other side to talk. Now they whinge becuase they haven't enough phone cards, and the mail is a little slow, even though they have internet access and e-mail on missions now-a-days.

I heard they were whinging in the Leb because they are on pack rations and have no Christmas cake. Pity about them, if they wanted it that cushy then they should have joined the Gardaí.

Comment

Laoch your a man after my own heart

Comment

Working...
                              X