Army Ambulance Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Ambulance Problems

The Kildare Nationalist Newspaper Online, providing weekly community news and sport for Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Slowcoach army ambulance put baby’s life at risk
    By Ashling Mackey
    THE life of a Newbridge baby was put at risk recently because of a restrictor device that limits an army ambulance to speeds of just 55 miles per hour. The 14-month-old baby had reportedly slipped into unconsciousness following a seizure, but when the anguished parents called 999 it transpired that all the ambulances at Naas General Hospital were out on call.

The emergency protocol then kicked in and the Eastern Health Board Regional Area (EHRA) called for backup from the Defence Forces at the Curragh Camp. In February, the army had bought a new €250,000 state-of-theart Emergency Rescue vehicle as a back-up resource for the county.

As this new ambulance was on stand-by in the army barracks on the Curragh, it was closer to Newbridge than any other ambulance that could be dispatched from Naas.

The parents, who were relieved that the medical experts were on hand to deal with their little boy, were unaware that the paramedics were secretly panicking.

On the way to the hospital, the condition of the baby worsened, but instead of racing even faster the ambulance crew made a decision that baffled everyone.

They pulled over and called Naas General Hospital to dispatch a different ambulance to collect the child.

The reason was that they didn’t trust their own vehicle to save the child’s life as a restrictor had been put on the engine. This meant that the highest speed the ambulance could reach was 90kmh (around 55mph); the speed limit on the motorway to Tallaght hospital is 120kmh.

Emergency response vehicles regularly break the speed limits to save lives, but if this ambulance had tried to rush the child to hospital the journey would have taken three times as long as it should. Since the incident, Naas General Hospital has not called on the services of the Curragh ambulance as emergency back up.

The restrictor remains in place on that vehicle.

Over a typical weekend, the previous Military Medical Facility, which is no longer considered reliable or roadworthy, would have responded to up to 25 calls, but now people have to rely on back-up from Athy, which is at least 20 minutes away from Newbridge.

A spokesperson for the army said that the restrictor was a manufacturing design. He said: “It is a legal requirement to do with the weight of the vehicle, and is actually set higher than the legal speed limit for army vehicles.” He was keen to point out that the ambulance was for military use only and was only a back-up service for the EHRA.

_________

I just came across the above following a search for pictures of the Army Ambulances, does anyone know if this restrictor is still in place and if there are any plans to remove it?

Just a couple of things in the article that I picked up on, If it's a legal requirement to do with the weight of the vehicle. Why don't all emergency Ambulances have them ? The Army as I have stated elsewhere provide invaluable support to the HSE Ambulance service and it's shameful to think that they are not being utilised because of a vehicle defect or more so a command defect.

It would explain why an Ambulance from Airton Rd. in Tallaght is responding to calls more frequently in the Kildare area.

I'll also point out that Naas hospital is not an Amulance station nor do they dispatch Ambulances in the Kildare area or have any connection with the National Ambulance Service. The dispatching of Ambulances for the Kldare/West Wicklow area is done from Naas Ambulance Station on Monread Rd. A purpose built station that also has a command and control facilitiy on it's premises with full time Emergency medical dispatchers.

Comment

Something is a bit fishy about that whole article. Somebody is yanking somebody's chain here. I don't buy it for a minute.

Let's look at it more closely and using simplified figures.

Take a distance of 50 miles to be travelled with the patient.
      Say top speed of ambo is 50 MPH...trip will take 1 hour
      Increase top speed to 60 MPH...trip will take 50 mins

Not much of a time saving, and 60 MPH is bloody fast and bloody dangerous in an ambulance.

I know that, in the EMS world, every minute counts...the golden hour, etc...but if considerable distances are involved in transportation then 10 minutes difference isn't that critical. I'm sure it took longer to pull over, coordinate another rig and then do the exchange of patient. How far is the actual transport distance from Newbridge to Naas Hospital?
      No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

The centre of newbridge to the centre of Naas is 6.5 miles (10.85k), that goes to support you Strummer. Google earth can't find the hospital itself
        "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
        - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
          They were going to Tallaght, not Naas. Bones of 25/30 miles. 11 miles of which are a Motorway (speed limit 120kph), which leads onto a 12 mile 3 lane dual carriageway (speed limit 100kph)
          And then having to wrestle through Newlands Cross and up the Belgard Road in rush hr
          traffic wouldn't make matters any easier...

I think the Nationalist need to look at the HSE before having a pop at the DF.
          I had reason to be in A&E in Naas about a year and a half ago (not me, thankfully)
          Anyway, the DF ambulance from DFTC pulled in with an elderly man on a stretcher.
          As I recognised one of the medics, and didn't realise at the time that the DF ambulance
          provided medical cover to the HSE, I went over to chat to him. It transpired that the
          man's family had called for an ambulance at 2.30 that afternoon. At this point, it was
          approx 8.30 pm. The family were going to bring the poor man in their car up to the
          hospital, as they lived locally to the hospital. Advice was to wait for the ambulance
          due to the man's age and condition. Sadly, the poor devil didn't make it. Knowing all
          this and seeing his relations arriving into A&E in bits broke my heart, and also made me
          absolutely mad with the state of the health service in this country. This I will be
          remembering come the election, no doubt about that...
          Last edited by Truck Driver; 17 January 2007, 20:34.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            And then having to wrestle through Newlands Cross and up the Belgard Road in rush hr
            traffic wouldn't make matters any easier...
            Not so much any more with the new bus lane between Newlands Cross and The M50 interchange, granted its not 100% completed as of last time I used it (before christmas) but its available for the vast majority of its length, but tbh the HSE ambulances would have had the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
              The what? What way do you go to Tallaght from the N7?

Most sane people either go down the Belgard Road, from Newlands Cross, or through City West, to the N81, and in that way. Given the number of roundabouts in City West, if I were driving an ambulance, I'd go down the Belgard Road.
              There is an Emergency Vehicles lane through the roadworks which is quicker than taking the Belgard Road

Comment

It is discussion like this that bring back into play "Heli transfers"

What will it take until such time as there is a dedicated Heli ambulance service in place for the entire country, we have never had so much money in the Gov coffers than there is now. What would the cost of this be? 5 - 10 mil per year, if contracted out.
                "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

Originally posted by gaff85 View Post

What will it take until such time as there is a dedicated Heli ambulance service in place for the entire country, we have never had so much money in the Gov coffers than there is now. What would the cost of this be? 5 - 10 mil per year, if contracted out.
                  Would the Aer Corps not be in a decent position to provide a dedicated HEMS with the new EC135's And EC 139's now in there possession

Comment

Originally posted by gaff85 View Post
                    Hmmm.

The continuing battle to base the National Children's Hospital
                    out of the Mater rumbles on. Yet it recently emerged that there may
                    be heli flying restrictions in that area, due to its proximity to
                    Mountjoy Prison.....
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Hi there
                      Heli transfers are overrated.The accident rate among EMS helicopters in the US is appalling.They might look sexy landing on a roadside but for routine transfer, road is good enough. It would probably surprise readers here to know how much time ambulances spend doing inter-hospital transfers, which eats up actual availability for emergency service.
                      As for the NCH, put it in Portlaoise. Geographic centre of the island, give or take. Build outstations in Dublin, if you have to, but give the rest of the non-Dublin population a chance not to spend their lives in cars.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

The Feasibility Study on a HEMS for the Island of Ireland:

This more or less recommends that IF a HEMS service was to be set up that it would be a tertiary service (inter-hospital transfers only). It is the only type of service that could be justified based on the bottom line (cash) and that it must be an service to cover the whole island.

Based on historical data, around a 1000 hours a year would be required. This would require probably 2 aircraft (dedicated full time to the HEMS role).

Althought the AC would IMO be willing to undertake the role to flying and maintaining the aircraft, and the new helicopters are capable of undertaking the role there are problems.

Enough aircraft were procured to meet SOME AC demands (not including 2 aircraft full time for HEMS)

It has to be an whole island service, AC aircraft require diplomatic clearance to fly north of the border, even for SAR and air ambulance flights.

Comment

Hmmm.

The continuing battle to base the National Children's Hospital
                          out of the Mater rumbles on. Yet it recently emerged that there may
                          be heli flying restrictions in that area, due to its proximity to
                          Mountjoy Prison.....
                          But Mountjoy won't be around for much longer, if a certain M. McDowell, esq. gets his way
                          "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by Steamy Window View Post
                            But Mountjoy won't be around for much longer, if a certain M. McDowell, esq. gets his way
                            There's a General Election coming....
                            He might not be around the next time round to "have his way"

Comment

There's a General Election coming....
                              He might not be around the next time round to "have his way"
                              I thought all the contracts were signed already?
                              Take these men and women for your example.
                              Like them, remember that posterity can only
                              be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                              possession of those who have the
                              courage to defend it.
                              Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                              If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Working...
                              X