Sam Browne & Big Al, Belt up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    I thought we already established that Mess Dress is paid out of whats called a

Uniform allowance
    Well the uniform allowance is the same whether or not the officer buys mess dress, so if anything you should be glad that they're using it to buy mess dress instead of using it to pay their car insurance.

Comment

so if anything you should be glad that they're using it to buy mess dress instead of using it to pay their car insurance
      and the prize for the worst justification of uniform allowance goes to Barry
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Hedge. The uniform allowance is for the SD No1's. It is based on a percentage cost of the Uniform (it was 60% in my day, it went up to 100% but the price of the uniform went up so I do not know what the percentage is now) split over 6 years, which is the notional life of the uniform. Good maintenance (and not increasing your waist size) can mean that the uniform will last longer and therefore you may actually make a profit on it.

SAM. Since I got the uniform I have attended 10 functions (at my estimated savings cost of €75 per event that is €750, it cost me around £500 at the time). Of course this does not take into account the time value of money or the increase in replacement cost. As regards the event you mentioned, I am still amazed at the ignorance and audacity.

Comment

and the prize for the worst justification of uniform allowance goes to Barry
          Do I get a free set of mess dress as a prize?

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
            SAM - along that vein, why is there a need for PDF officers to have Mess Dress so? The cost of the Mess Dress is in the region of €650, don't know where you got the €1000 figure from!
            Depending on where you go:

Mess Dress (With all accessories) costs €900

Mess Dress (With required accessories) costs €715

The difference is the leather shoes and peaker cost extra but most officers just don't get the peaker (It is so rarely worn) and use normal leather shoes that they have. Technically you could get away with a plain white shirt instead of a tux shirt and reduce the cost again.

Hedgie. The Uniform allowance is not intended for the purchase of a Mess Dress uniform. A lot of officers don't have one (RDF) and receive the same allowance. The uniforms allowance is intended solely for the purchase and upkeep of the SD uniform.

I also have worn the Mess Dress nearly more times than the SD uniform. A lot is down to your proximity to a barracks. As for the officers in the West, I assume they didn't go in the end.

Comment

Uniform allowance is for the up keep of SD no1, if the officer wants to put the money forwards mess dress or car insurance thats there business.

Comment

I thought we already established that Mess Dress is paid out of whats called a

Uniform allowance

the big mistake or perhaps think perk that PDF Officers and now RDF Officers Make

is actually think this is a personal funds
                Whereas you get all your uniforms free, gratis and at the public expense.

Comment

Whereas you get all your uniforms free, gratis and at the public expense
                  Thats a ridicolous statement

Its well you know - ALL my Uniforms are supplied to me.

Comment

Thats a ridicolous statement

Its well you know - ALL my Uniforms are supplied to me.
                    ...at what cost? Zero. Therefore, they are free. Who pays for them? (They don't cost nothing, ya know). The taxpayer. Thus, they are at the public expense.

Like I said earlier, if you don't see a difference between being issued something and being provided an allowance to contribute towards the cost of purchasing it yourself, then feel free to hand back all your subsistence allowance any time.

Comment

your going to have to explain yourself even further there Parts

I havent a clue what your on about

is this in reference to the E Bay Gick

or the pretty sam browne

or the even prettier mess dress

Comment

I can't put it in any simpler terms. Lt Flahflah gets his SD himself, and is reimbursed some of the cost by way of an allowance. Enlisted personnel like you and me get ours issued to us, without having to pay for them at all. Thank you, Johnny Taxpayer, this greatcoat is nice and warm, even if it does look like a loosely stitched blanket.

Comment

"Enlisted scum like you and me get ours issued to us, without having to pay for them at all. Thank you, Johnny Taxpayer"
                          we enlisted scum are taxpayers too....so that really means we're actually paying for our own issue?!
                          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

If you are taxed at the higher rate, you are paying your own wages also...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Lads this is getting out of hand. PARTS that was way out of order

Comment

nah the great coat is crap...but the navy ones used to be quite good lol
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X