No announcement yet.

RDFRA in dispute with DoD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the hearing protection regs..machine guns and fibua require double hearing protection...as do all weapons after a certain amount of rounds fired.....

as for the purchase of gear...if you think you might need it..is justified..if the Army don't issue it to reservists and you still need it..justified..if you buy it to look the part...tough shit!
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 15 June 2007, 00:59.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
      With an allowance.
      Does it not seem to set the precedent, if you are required to have it you either get it on issue or its paid for?

So if some smart RC found that this allowance was taxable at the std rate what do you suppose would happen?
      Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

It can't be taxable as it barely meets the actual cost of the uniform..if anything those who recieve the allowance should be claiming relief on the balance after the allowance.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          It can't be taxable as it barely meets the actual cost of the uniform..if anything those who recieve the allowance should be claiming relief on the balance after the allowance.
          I was assuming that it was non taxable but I was just posing the "what if" sinario

But you raise a very interesting point

How much above the allowance does an officer need to spend?
          Why do they not reclaim this from their tax as they would normally be entitled to do?

And further more why does anyone willlingly buy kit?

I still maintain, if you need to buy kit, at your own expence, to do the job then that job is outside what can reasonable expected of you.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

"And further more why does anyone willlingly buy kit?"

Soldiers the world over who are not happy with kit thats issued have always bought the little bits of kit that make the difference to their own well being....often means the differnce between hardship and making it easier for oneself.

often the purchase of private kit has opened the armies eyes to what ius better for the job..take assault vests and chest rigs..if guys hadn't started using privately available ones..would the DF have considered buying them..gucci boots..sleeping systems..all have their origins in private purchse.

Comment

Expenses (eg having to buy webbing) could be tax deductable?!

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                "And further more why does anyone willlingly buy kit?"

Soldiers the world over who are not happy with kit thats issued have always bought the little bits of kit that make the difference to their own well being....often means the differnce between hardship and making it easier for oneself.

often the purchase of private kit has opened the armies eyes to what ius better for the job..take assault vests and chest rigs..if guys hadn't started using privately available ones..would the DF have considered buying them..gucci boots..sleeping systems..all have their origins in private purchse.
                This is a lovely idea. I have no problem with someone that wants to buy the battery operated tin opener cause the isseud manual one is no use.

Trouble is people want/ are beeing obliged to buy the standard kit.

Par example: On current standard course a certain corporal was asked why he did not have the "sleeping system". All the inf bods on the course have them so he is expected to get one. By your reckoning should he go buy one?

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                Expenses (eg having to buy webbing) could be tax deductable?!
                Only an expence if "necessary for the job"
                Since we are not considered employees (yet) this does not apply

My answer is no. He has an LDV minibus parked 200m away. Go sleep in it.

Same applies to combat boots, raingear etc.
                Last edited by luchi; 20 June 2007, 15:33.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Luchi, your unit has more sleeping systems than it can deal with. FACT and not a joke.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Would that be his actual unit or his subunit?
                    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

the former.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I ask because I have never been issued with a sleeping system from my unit EVER. Even though we do 24hr ex every year!
                        If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

I have been issued a poncho and a sleeping bag before, the sleeping bag was a 58 pattern piece of shite that was too small for me, in our company stores we have no rollmats. I've seen the new issue sleeping bag in use by RDFTA personell it is a very nice nanok sleeping bag. And they had new DPM ponchos.
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

The reality is:

The DOD and the AHQ would be delighted if the RDF just packed up, went home and stayed at home.

The lack of kit, etc for people going on courses is a direct result of this attitude.

EG if your ajoinging instructions for a course has five pages of equipment, etc. then you should be issued with the equipment, either as a personal issue or for return after the course. If your not issued with the equipment then under no circumstances should you even consider buying it. This whole concept of buying equipment is crazy and just fuels the attitude - "Don't issue that stuff, the gobs**** will but it with their own money".

On the last course that I did I kept I kept repeating the mantra "I was not issued with it, Sir" and eventually the penny dropped. The officer was a bit slow on the uptake but after a few days he copped on.
                            I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                            Who is number 1?

Comment

"EG if your ajoinging instructions for a course has five pages of equipment, etc. then you should be issued with the equipment, either as a personal issue or for return after the course. If your not issued with the equipment then under no circumstances should you even consider buying it. This whole concept of buying equipment is crazy and just fuels the attitude - "Don't issue that stuff, the gobs**** will but it with their own money"."

Obviously lack of self preservation and the realisation that just because you bitch enough you might get what you want is prevalent to you.....Ireally hope it stays fine for you..and you don't turn up on a course where the DS take the attitude that it is your responsibilty to have the kit you need and not a copy of your requests for kit.

Yes it would suit the Df if we all packed up ourtents and ****ed off home because we didn't have the kit required..but I have far more respect for the guy who tries to make the best of what he has or what he can aquire as opposed to those who moan about what they haven't got and as a rersult end up pissing everybody off becuse of their attitude towards getting the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                Luchi, your unit has more sleeping systems than it can deal with. FACT and not a joke.
                                Do we?

Last night I was in the stores. We have small numbers of the following:
                                sleeping bags. No liners.
                                green rain coats
                                high vis jackets
                                traffic cones
                                tents
                                and a shit load of junk.

Don't know who's been hiding the gear but on camp arrangement has been made to borruw the gear from a unit in the south.
                                Last edited by DeV; 21 June 2007, 17:49.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Working...
                                X