RDFRA in dispute with DoD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are the south borrowing it from?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Who are the south borrowing it from?
      God only knows but the equipment is available. There is another unit from the south also drawing from thje same pool so who ever has the gear must have lots!!!
      Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Luchi you're not following what I said at all. Note I said *UNIT* not *Sub-Unit*
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
          He hasn't adjusted to his old unit no longer being a unit.
          Dats mean..........................sob! SOB!..............big tears...............but my point was if my "unit" has the systems why are we borrowing from another that not even within our Bde? Also if an inf sub-unit can have a number of items in the sub-unit stores why can't we? And is there even a Unit stores or is that just a paper excersise and everything is sitting in the Curragh?

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Getting back to the point.................kind of

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

Obviously lack of self preservation and the realisation that just because you bitch enough you might get what you want is prevalent to you.....Ireally hope it stays fine for you..and you don't turn up on a course where the DS take the attitude that it is your responsibilty to have the kit you need and not a copy of your requests for kit..
            So when was the last time you you did a tactical excercise firing blanks from your AML?

If you are told that you can do an excersice at the weekend as long as you supply your own Pyro what are you going to do, pass the hat around?

A sure maybe there should be a Maxol station in the Bks and the lads can chip in to pay for the diesel when you are finished with the truck?

And don't forget rations and accomodation. Sure can't you pay for them yourself. No need for the army to maintain places like Lahinch, Tralee, The Glen cos the RDF lads will
            make the best of what he has or what he can aquire
            and the likes of the Prisoner will stop
            pissing everybody off becuse of their attitude towards getting the job done.
            Hey Prisoner aren't you an accountant? You could keep the records for Murphy so he can then try to claim the expenses from revenue. Or would trying to claim the expenses also be counted towards "pissing everybody off"

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Luchi re Post 90 - three questions in your post.

1: Cos you love it.
              2: No idea .
              3: It's the former.

Note if you have no.1's what flash is on them ?
              Last edited by trellheim; 21 June 2007, 14:05.

Comment

Good answers T but miner clarifications needed

1. ?Cos I/we love it???????????????
                2. Neither has anyone else but lack of same and lack of ability to get them from "unit" stores points to lack of existance. Or is that warped logic?
                3. The former, ie it exists. Where in the world?

I know the unit but what is the relevence?

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

sigh.... sent you a PM ... after that you are on your own.

Comment

eh...let you in on a little secret...I make a point of never firing blanks on tactics..I carry them but redistribute them...I learned my lesson many years ago.

The rest is just pedantic..personnal comfort and well being as opposed to stuff that can't be done without....

Get with the reality stakes.try it some time getting down a dirty and actually having what you need..you might even have fun.

BTW the SIMFIRE.was the pyro for the AML 90.hasn't been used in years.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      sigh.... sent you a PM ... after that you are on your own.
                      I dont think it was necessary to go to PM as I am sure your answer and mine back is of relevance.

Originally posted by luchi
                      Originally posted by trellheim
                      MOD:Operational Information
                      In answer to this I can only reiterate

Why do we have to draw from southern bde?

Why was our participant on the std cse told that these items are not available.

There are some explanations to this
                      -- the store is a myth
                      -- there is no-one in it!!
                      -- there is someone in it but they wont do the work to give out the gear
                      So now lads you all know. Have your CQs contact The unit HQ that cannot be mentioned for operational reasons for all the gear you need. It supposed to be there so don't take no for an answer. I am ringing my CQ now. I am sure he tried this already but maybe not.
                      Last edited by luchi; 21 June 2007, 19:26. Reason: moderator missed reference when moderating

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

The items I did not have on the course were a helmet and 58 pattern webbing. I'm not talking about materials for lesson plans, etc and other little comforts.

The reason was the PDF staff, on full wages and allownaces, did not/would not travel in a fully expensed service vehicle from the FCA location to the PDF barracks c.25 miles away to get the items from the stores.

I don't know any shops in my area that sell the above items. I would be surprised if it was common practice for FCA members to have access to the above items other than through PDF/RDF stores.

As it happens I did not piss the others off - in fact they got to do a lot of work without having to wear a helemt and webbing as we all had to be dressed the same.

My point re: packing up and going home etc is that the powers that be would be delighted if the RDF was scrapped - full stop.
                        I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                        Who is number 1?

Comment

eh...let you in on a little secret...I make a point of never firing blanks on tactics..I carry them but redistribute them...I learned my lesson many years ago.

The rest is just pedantic..personnal comfort and well being as opposed to stuff that can't be done without....

Get with the reality stakes.try it some time getting down a dirty and actually having what you need..you might even have fun.

BTW the SIMFIRE.was the pyro for the AML 90.hasn't been used in years.
                          Ok so I had a little rant. I know it is hard for some people to believe but I have actually done tactics and been out in the rain and got drty overnight in a hole. When I did my NCO course the Poncho was the std issue rain gear for the RDF. And yes I did have fun but that is not what this is about really is it?
                          If you start by looking to buy rain gear etc you are going down a road that could lead to all sorts of crap.

Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                          The items I did not have on the course were a helmet and 58 pattern webbing. .............
                          I don't know any shops in my area that sell the above items. I would be surprised if it was common practice for FCA members to have access to the above items other than through PDF/RDF stores.
                          At the RDFRA conference an attempt was made to get the NE to adopt a motion asking to permit RDF members to buy these from stores at cost.

The motion was defeated by a resounding majority.

I reckon there are two catagories of kit
                          1 - Standard kit that you need to do the job effectively and thus should be issued
                          2 - Things that you can do without but like to have. So go buy them yourself.

I think it is obvious in which catagory many items lie.
                          Last edited by luchi; 22 June 2007, 17:44.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

If you know you're not going to get something that you need - most people will buy it.

Barrack-room lawyers "I wasn't issued with it Sir" works only in some cases. Fine then get off the truck. I can't help you now, I couldn't help you 6 months ago because I don't have the kit in my pocket and don't control the stores. I'll sign paperwork and get you standing in front of a closed stores door as fast as you like. Yes folks we really do keep the kit because we like it in plastic pockets [ Damn I sound like a storesman now ] . I'm still on Smock #1 because I let recruits go past me in the kit line.

How many times ? There is already a procedure for purchasing kit from the stores - go look up "on repayment"

Comment

"My point re: packing up and going home etc is that the powers that be would be delighted if the RDF was scrapped - full stop."

Totally agree so why not just turn up the right gear and piss them off..a little bit of effort works wonders.

"If you start by looking to buy rain gear etc you are going down a road that could lead to all sorts of crap. "

certainly beats the shit out of getting wet though.

As seen in the photo..it rained all day..I had spent a few quid..but I was dry....oh....The chest rig was my own purchase also..as were the boots and the gloves.

Notice the guy in front of me with his own private purchase wet gear is also quite smug..while the person wearing the available pooled stock jacket is miserable.

Point in case....I need a compass but the army dosen't issue me with one and expects me to read maps...so I buy one....the army requires me to read maps but they don't have enough to go around so I buy my own...the army requires me to use my maps..i have spent money on my maps..but the army doesn't provide me witha map case..i buy one to protect my maps...now on top of all that..I have the maps..the compass.. the case..but I really have no faith in my map reading abilities..so I need a GPS.....the unit has one...but..having my own increases my skill with the GPS..there fore I buy one...

having the maps, the compass, the case, the GPs..I can now carry out my role as best I can because I have the kit to do so...so I won't look like a gobshite when some one sends me on a tasking that requires me to have all of the above...but the army hasn't got them.....lesson learned..if you think you need it to improve your ability to the job..buy it!!!
                              Last edited by hptmurphy; 23 June 2007, 01:28.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Notice the guy in front of me with his own private purchase wet gear is also quite smug..while the person wearing the available pooled stock jacket is miserable.
                                I have never had any problems with the issued wetgear, while it may not be gucci dpm or expensive goretex it does the job. If you buy equipment that we should be provided with you are encouraging CQ's to not issue the necessary equipment. Compasses were provided to units a few years ago but many were never returned when issued out. I bought a compass for €10 in aldi, it does the job. There is no need to spend up to €300 on a gps. In my unit we have never come across GPS provided by the army. From that picture it looks like you have no need for a chest rig. I cant see anybody else wearing 58 pattern or PLCE in that picture so why are you wearing a Chest rig? By walting around in non issue uniform and combat gear you make us look worse than we would wearing OG wetgear and 58 pattern.

Why cant you use the quote tools like everyone else?
                                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X