• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luchi
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit
    Originally Posted by Goldie fish
    Like those who have their own raingear for example.
    Pool issue I can assure you.
    And this puts us back to the start of all arguements.

Everyone at this point knows rain gear is supposed to be personal issue.

It was agreed sometime ago that on H&S grounds it should be. It's not, so why?

IMHO Like many things, agreement with DOD and putting scale of issue into place are two different things.

One arguement for non issue was that the turn over of RDF personnel makes it un-economical to issue items.
    And a second was that lads that drop out or only turn up occasionally wear the issue clothing on building sites.

Both arguments are relevant but should be a matter for the MPs / GS.(miss use of government property). All property not duely depreciated should be returned.

I believe the reason there are two reasons for non issue

1. Its not there
    2. There is no pressure from the ranks

Every unit has their COs inspection. Why do people always wear their best? I always believed that if the gear is worn out you bring it to the Q. If he does not have it replaced you wear it on the COs inspection.
    Last edited by luchi; 13 June 2007, 12:13.

Leave a comment:

• Bailer
    replied
    People who have Replacement Kit have Gone looking for it. and those who have Wet Gear and other issue items not on our scale have got it the same way they have always got it... Beg Borrow or "Acquire".

I haven't gotten a New Field Dressing in 11 years... (I'm sure its still Sterile after all those years on my crotch in the OG's as a Pte, A Pots Course and Std's Course) I don't have DPM raingear. but I have more issue kit than I can physically pack in a Kitbag, bergin and suit carrier.

What RDFRA are trying to do is make sure this kit is ISSUED to us, we start asking for a Purchase Scheme then we will never Get it issued!!
    Last edited by Bailer; 13 June 2007, 09:45. Reason: poxy spelling

Leave a comment:

• luchi
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    The Minister still believes RDFRA shouldn't have access to the DF C&A scheme (due to the nature of reserve service).
    And that it is considered that any decision made will also apply to the RDF

Surely the replace policy is only right. As a driver / instructor I am a lot "lighter" on my clothing than say a section IC in the infantry. If you wear out the clothing it is replaced. It is only if the wear was caused by you being negligent that any cost would be levied.

Again the actual equiptment required to efectively carry out your duties should also be a determining factor and not, as is the current case, a blanket issue.
    Last edited by luchi; 13 June 2007, 08:29.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    I still Have the boots I was issued in 1992.

Never managed to break them in. I use them as parade boots.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied
    My initial issue parade boots 1999!!! Still going strong. although in another year I reckon i could use them as skates from all the threads being worn down!!

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Like those who have their own raingear for example.

The shirt I was issued with differs from the shirt now on issue. Should I seek a replacement, given that rank markings(which I have not been issued with anyway) are not available for this shirt?

Is it reasonable to expect a human to wear the same item of clothing until it no longer exists? Clothing, particularly workwear, such as the Combat Uniform(DPM) has a fixed lifetime. What items of clothing in your civvy wardrobe, kermit, do you still wear six years after you first bought it? Please include only items of clothing you wear at least once a week, and wear for 2 to 6 weeks during the summer.

Please also tell me the type of footwear that you still wear six years after you first bought them, so I can go out and buy a pair. What great value they must be!
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 13 June 2007, 00:58.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    The Minister still believes RDFRA shouldn't have access to the DF C&A scheme (due to the nature of reserve service).

Leave a comment:

• master^decoy
    replied
    hhmmmm I don't know, like any job you never really feel like your "there" until your wearing the uniform. I used to work for vodafone and it took us ages to get some vodafone fleeces off them, blood from a stone...a rich stone...but still,it made you feel part of the team, thats the point of a uniform is to unify a group of people who have the same purpose and presence. The uniform gives pride of place too and is the basis for a team....it's very important really...

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    well thats bollocks..if waiting about to get a uniform is the pay off..maybe they misunderstand the reason for joining in the first place...the waiting etc..is probably justified given the amount in recent years who got the uniform and vanished..and its not just an NSR thing.

Leave a comment:

• Bitter Boy
    replied
    It is a pay off for a new recruit who has had to wait around 4 - 6 months getting security cleared, audio grammed and then medicaled to finally get something like a uniform on their backs.Once they get a uniform they can begin to feel like they belong to a 'military organisation'

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    "Also, as the NSR is unpaid for the vast majority of the year, getting kit is one of the few pay offs."

Enlighten us how the issue of NS working Dress can be a pay off?

In answer to A/Tels statement..ships are individual units and draw kit as required for the full time posted crew as opposed to attachments whose Admin issues are dealt with bt their parent unit,

So an NSR guy going to sea is attached to a ships company and not posted and as such...the ship has not kit obligations to him..he draws from his shore establishment. This is also true of NS personal..the drw from central clothing stores or their division..not as hip if they are on attachment.

The other side of the coin is it is a very poor consideration of an NSR unit to sent guys to sea without enough of the appropriate clothing..the other side of that coin..having too much kit on a ship is a pain in the arse..and they do have laundrys..so once you have the basics you should be ok.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 20 February 2007, 10:10.

Leave a comment:

• johnny no stars
    replied
    Lol, I had to wait 9 months for my first issue and then another 8 months to get my second issue so kevin, don't hold your breath!

Leave a comment:

• spider pig
    replied
    Sure they lost a full uniiforn for someone in my unit. They told him it was in, and then had to explain that they lost it to the CO.

Leave a comment:

• Bitter Boy
    replied
    I agree that the priority should be the ships and in an ideal world there would be no kit shortage for either NS or NSR.

But I would just like to say that NSR wear their working rig on parade nights (once a week) and weekends. So it is not fair to say ' 4 or 5 times a year'.

Also, as the NSR is unpaid for the vast majority of the year, getting kit is one of the few pay offs. A lot of recruits will wait months for a working rig shirt and trousers and a good few will just get fed up waiting and stop attending.

Leave a comment:

• A/TEL
    replied
    All NS kit is drawn from the Naval Base stores by NSR units as required. Why they need much of the gear to wear 4 or 5 times a year ill never know.

Fair enough drawing dress uniforms thats no problem but drawing fatigues that are worn very rarely by the NSR and every day by seagoing personnel is the thing that annoys me.

Only last patrol there i was wearing my falling apart shirt and worn out trousers and an NSR L/S came out for a week in his nice brand new set of fatigues. Thats the point im trying to make. Ships should come first before NSR and base personel.

As i said they provide a lot of reliefs for people and we would be stuck without them but the situation is ridiculous when you are denied bsic kit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X