No announcement yet.

Direction of the DF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Government are not serious about the Military so hence the small amount of money spsnt on the military

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Boy View Post
      Normal annual defence spending in EU states is 2 to 3% of GDP.
      Austria 0.9%
      Spain 1.2%
      Belgium 1.3%
      Switzerland 1.0%
      Germany 1.5%
      Sweden 1.5%
      Denmark 1.5%

Just thought I'd show that, the 2% +"is normal" tag is very much debatable, I've left out a bunch of others in the sub 2% category.

We do spend less in comparison, that is beyond debate. Personally though, I'd go further than saying that we need to just look at the percentage of GDP, because that can still mask a lot of variables.

What I would really like to see is how we stack up against other nations in terms of the percentage which goes on wages versus the percentage that goes on purchasing/upgrading equipment. It's an important issue, you can throw money at something all you like, but what really matters is how you spend it. So, as goldie posted above 70% pensions on wages - is that typical in Europe?
      Last edited by pym; 10 March 2007, 17:20.

Comment

apod which act are you referring to ? there are two in recent time, the 2006 one for service outside the state , and the court-martial one in progress through the Dail at the moment .
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          apod which act are you referring to ? there are two in recent time, the 2006 one for service outside the state , and the court-martial one in progress through the Dail at the moment .
          Stage two mate.The military law one.Has a rider on it about transfers outa service corps after 10 years.Think pdforra missed that one
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Saracen View Post
            According to the Comptroller, RDF account for less than 3% of the total budget allocation to the DF.

Putting that into perspective, both the UK and the US spend 7% of their budget on their reserves with a GDP spend 5 times that of Ireland.

Lets not forget that there are reservists in america flying around with F-16 and wreacking havoc in abrams...

So personally i dont think you can compare the needs of a nation like Irelands reserve capabilities to a nation like the U.S

Whole new ballgame.

Comment

even if we doubled it from 0.7% to 1.5% like Germany, imagine it, another €1.1bn to spend............ drifts off into fantasty world...................

Comment

Working...
              X