Unit, Brigade, Corps and You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit, Brigade, Corps and You

Just wondering how it works for career soldiers in the army. If you are enlisted in the Army do you simply belong to a unit i.e. the 2nd inf and just remain there all your career or are you simply part of the infantry corps and get shipped around the various inf units in the country when you get promoted etc. Also wondering what the situation in this regard is for officers and corps units.

ORs generally stay in the same unit unless they choose to move. Officers get posted around fairly often. The rule used to be that you couldn't get posted outside your corps after ten years in it. The army can send you where they want but they don't most of the time.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

So for a young officer, hes looking at moving around quite a bit then, for promotion are you looking at leaving your unit, or if you return from overseas?

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
        So for a young officer, hes looking at moving around quite a bit then, for promotion are you looking at leaving your unit, or if you return from overseas?
        Vacancies for promotion are published in ROs. The vacancy may not be in your unit so if you want to get promoted you have to move. When you return from overseas you invariably get posted back to your home unit.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Yes, and on occasion, officers look for postings to GET closer to home - i.e; their
          initial posting on commissioning has sent them further from home.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
          X