ADCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADCs

A small but high visibility element of the DF that rarely gets mention in these parts are the ADCs (principally at the Aras) but also to an Taoiseach. A few questions:

1. How many of them are there? What is the rank structure within the ADC component?

2. How is an ADC selected -- is there internal competitions, straight appointment from the CoS? Presumably Madame President has some influence on who she gets?.

3. Do the ADCs get any extra allowances?

4. What functions have they other than carrying umbrellas, opening doors etc?

I don't know about how many are assigned to the Taoiseach but there is a team assigned to the President

Comment

Anyway... Dont know much about ADC's, one for her majesty and one for the chief. The lowest is a Captain, the highest a Colonel from what I have seen.

Notice, no flash on the right shoulder. Oh and Lanyard on the right shoulder for the President and left shoulder for An Taoiseach, just FYI.
      Last edited by Itchy; 5 March 2007, 16:25.
      Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

Their unit is DFHQ so they only wear one flash. As far as I can remember they are part of Protocol section of A Admin.

Comment

Officially its not a lanyard. There is more to it than that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi all
            Is it seen as a duty one has to chalk up on the way to the top?
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
              An tUachtarain has 4 ADCs, 1 Colonel, and 3 Comdts.
              An Taoiseach also has 4 ADCs, 1 Comdt and 3 Captains.

The information above may be out of date.

The appointment of an ADC is allowed for in CS4, and is appointed the same as any other officer.
              In the picture I posted the Presidential ADC is a Captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Officially its not a lanyard. There is more to it than that.
                Aiguilettes is the term, I understand.

Comment

Comment

Thanks, Couldnt think of the word.

WORD.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      Hi all
                      Is it seen as a duty one has to chalk up on the way to the top?
                      regards
                      GttC
                      I doubt it. There are too many opportunities for career terminating cluster-fcuks so it's probably an assignment to be avoided at all costs. The Capt in the pic came up from the ranks by the way so he isn't going much further.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      Originally posted by hedgehog
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The Capt in the pic came up from the ranks by the way so he isn't going much further

Whereas the Comdt is really a brilliant Officer

he is or rather should be destined to be Chief of Staff

He is also as fit as fkcu- I saw him sprint the chicken run in the leb 3 times
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Aiguilette as insignia can be traced back to the Prussians in 1730.

Soldiers other than ADCs to include unit dajudants and musical directors as wellas men on head quarters staff are quialfied to wear them although not sure if this applies to the Irish army.

Actual description drives from the french word aigulle(needle) and refers to the pointed ornaments at the end of the cord.An Aiguillette is a cobination of palit cords and palin cords ,made of gold, silver or special woven cord,worn around one shoulder and wending on two front buttons.

The Aiguillette is amark of special appointments, and it is worn in specific orders of dress according to regultaions.

Text taken from "The Illustrated Encylopeia of Miliatry Insignia of the 20th Century" by Guido Rosignoli..oldie but a goldie.

Point to note.Disgarced former taoiseach Charles J. Haugheys ADC was not an army officer but a Naval Service officer...LT.CDR Charlie Lawn...who alo wore the ADC's Aguillette.

any help?
                          Last edited by hptmurphy; 6 March 2007, 00:31.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

adc's

The job of an ADC in the US Army is probably similar to that in Ireland. The ADC is a combination of Protocol Officer, Executive Assistant, Security, Personal Assistant blah blah blah. I've met several ADC's and a lot of their behavoir is based off that of the Boss they work for. Some are down to earht and the others care really into their rank/power.

Most of what they do is "horse holding" for the VIP, they pass on the usual gift baskets, flowers to the staff. They end up working a lot of protocol issues, who sits where at a dinner, what to say when you meet the VIP, what order people enter and leave the meeting, fetching the General his decaf latte, etc. The protocol can be a real minefield, especially when dealing with ambassadors and heads of state etc.

As a career move, it can certainly help to have a glowing rating from the Prez, etc and many ADC's who do well in the US get thier choice of assignments as a follow on. One lad I spoke to said it was a great insight into how things are handled (both good and bad) at a high level that he as a CPT would never have otherwise been privvy to.

In the US the aiglettes size and where it's worn changes with the rank of the VIP.

Cheers,

A

Comment

Hi all
                              Who makes up such wondrous devices? You can hardly nip down to the Army Tailor and ask them to whip up an aiguilette before lunch?!...yer man is a bit old for a Captain, alright.He'll need to get his Comdt bits and bobs before too long, other wise...
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

Working...
                              X