No announcement yet.

Brigade Excercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about one of the islands on the west coast?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I cant think of any uninhabited island big enough or any inhabited island that would be suitable, though i could be wrong....
      These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        What about one of the islands on the west coast?
        Craggy?
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
          Craggy?
          Mite be hard...the west side of that is gone...floated away one night in a storm...
          Hi.

Comment

Originally posted by lil-ears-luke View Post
            Mite be hard...the west side of that is gone...floated away one night in a storm...

Would conducting such a large scale excerise overseas not be the answer? Or is it not even worth getting into due to logistics, ect?

Comment

Well considering we have major difficulties just moving one platoon by air plus the lack of other logistcal support equipment, such as air transport, I would be ruling it out on that account
              Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
              http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Originally posted by Komsomol View Post
                With the way things are going i'd say we'd be bribing the canadians for joint exercises just so we can use the space.
                Yews they do a have a bit to go with there.
                Talked to an ex Brit lad. They did a joint training ex with the Canadians.
                The training area was vast something along the lines of if you spent two days driving 24hrs a day you might just make it to the other side.
                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Its called BATUS, in Suffield, Alberta
                  Stands for British Army Training Unit Suffield

Used for training troops in armoured ops. I have a vido of the Staffords training there, place is huge
                  "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

i think there was an article in an cosantoir about a BA armoured ex there, about 18 months ago. although maybe i'm mistaken and it was in a british magazine.

it does seem a very useful place, though how we could fly a third of the army to canada is another question.

Comment

I think you're all missing an important point. Even if you did manage to transport a brigade i.e. the Eastern over to England or Canada for an exercise that means barracks/ATCP duties won't be done.
                      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by Steamy Window View Post
                        Its called BATUS, in Suffield, Alberta
                        Stands for British Army Training Unit Suffield

Used for training troops in armoured ops. I have a vido of the Staffords training there, place is huge
                        Ahuh

Originally posted by silverside View Post
                        it does seem a very useful place, though how we could fly a third of the army to canada is another question.
                        Wont happen

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                        I think you're all missing an important point. Even if you did manage to transport a brigade i.e. the Eastern over to England or Canada for an exercise that means barracks/ATCP duties won't be done.
                        Good point, but if the army are talking about brigade level exercises then they will have to think about all of these things, unless they want to go the way of the Naval Service. Things are getting mighty stretched in Haulbowline, from what Im hearing they are now beginning to have retention problems.

Comment

the problem is manpower

how ever are we going to train for these exercise and perform our normal functions

ummmmm

if we only had a viable reserve that could augment the field units and carry out

garrison duties

Oh wait we do
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            the problem is manpower

how ever are we going to train for these exercise and perform our normal functions

ummmmm

if we only had a viable reserve that could augment the field units and carry out

garrison duties

Oh wait we do
                            Quiet you.
                            But in seriousness, the reserve should be able to take up the slack if this did happen, as they have done before.
                            Case in point the EU accession treaty I know that we covered all gaurd duties in barracks to cover the lads that were brought up to Dublin as back up. Dont know if this was in every barracks but it defo happened down my end of the country.

But as a point could a reserve element be attached to a brigade level ex?
                            What should said element be, Combatr arm?, Combat Support?, Combat Service Support???
                            If not would we be getting into the realm of purely garrison units and active service units?

Comment

why not do both- that is augment the field units and

for those who cant get loads of time of work- make available garrison duties

not only guards etc- but Gate Policeman duty driver and even orderly room runner

I remember in 1985 when there was a big thing on up the border and the FCA were

brought in and they were used as line ncos in just day to day running of CBB
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post

Hence the new integrated reserve, glorified future bench warmers and maybe one or two medics going overseas.

Comment

Working...
                                X