X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arabic in the Army?

Hula everyone,
    Was just wondering whether there is an Arabic language training program within the army? Does anyone know it's length & course content? What type of dialect does it teach? Who is it open to? Is it open to both PDF & RDF? Is there a sponsorship availible for learning it elsewhere? Obviously if this is protected by Opsec please let me know via PM...

Regards,
    -B

P.S Before anyone quotes from it, "Team America" is crap, not funny, don't bother...
    Last edited by Guest; 18 March 2007, 04:12.

DFTC run language courses including Arabic. Contact your CO for details. Hope that helps.
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Comment

derka derka

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        derka derka
        who said it wasn't funny

mohammed jihad, derka
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

there is a course kicking off very very soon

are you PDF or RDF
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

There used to be two a year in DFTC. When I did the begginners course up there the instructor was an Army Chef based in cork. Havent heard much since. If you would like I have Begginners Arabic on CD. Might help although difficult without a teacher and someone to practice with.
            As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

Not much call for Arabic on the western seaboard of Ireland, is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Saracen View Post
                yeah but in the leb andf other middle east countries that fall within the operational radius of the e.u battlegroups there is.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Saracen View Post
                  اللغة العربية
                  The United Nations adopted Arabic as one of its six official languages in 1974. In addition to the Palestinians, the governments of eighteen countries list Arabic as their dominant mode of expression: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. Arabic is also an important language in many other countries of the world.
                  This would be the modern theatre of warfare in the past decade so mock if you will but I say "Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail".
                  Last edited by armedboarder; 18 March 2007, 18:42.
                  As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

Originally posted by armedboarder View Post
                    اللغة العربية
                    The United Nations adopted Arabic as one of its six official languages in 1974. In addition to the Palestinians, the governments of eighteen countries list Arabic as their dominant mode of expression: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. Arabic is also an important language in many other countries of the world.
                    This would be the modern theatre of warfare in the past decade so mock if you will but I say "Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail".
                    Agreed on that one but there doesnt seem to be civvie courses running that I can find in Dublin anyways...figure Willie O'Dea might be happy to pay for it...

Any other info on the subject is very welcome...

-B

Comment

Try looking for online courses like the Open University or maybe even FAS?

I did a minor in arabic in college, failed it though, was a bloody tough course. Very interesting though, i just dont have the language gene :P

I can give you a tip, we were told to buy the book and combined CD set:

"Mastering Arabic" by Jane Wightwick & Mahmoud Gaafar, published by palgrave macmillan master series, ISBN 0-333-49037-1

Personally i found that book a little too complicated for my own lack of language experience or ability. But, its what we were told to get so i can only assume my own lack of ability isn't contagious.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        yeah but in the leb andf other middle east countries that fall within the operational radius of the e.u battlegroups there is.
                        My post was tongue in cheek. Armedboarder is obviously NS and yes, I know the NS does trips overseas either as part of contingents or delivery trips hence the requirement for Arabic for All DF personnel depending on the AO or Mission. Which is where Armedboarder obviously learned Arabic and has the info for it. whew.

Comment

Originally posted by Komsomol View Post
                          I can give you a tip, we were told to buy the book and combined CD set:

"Mastering Arabic" by Jane Wightwick & Mahmoud Gaafar, published by palgrave macmillan master series, ISBN 0-333-49037-1

Personally i found that book a little too complicated for my own lack of language experience or ability. But, its what we were told to get so i can only assume my own lack of ability isn't contagious.
                          Here's something a little more basic, to get you started:

Comment

As I said....that film is shit & references to it unnecessary...

Comment

You are only making it worse.

Derka Jihad Mohammed

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X