• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple answer, 65 have the manpower but not the No 1's
    it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
    Winston churchill

Comment

which coy in the old 7 bn became hq coy in 65 res inf bn?

Comment

Comment

Silverside, old timers disease?

Comment

joshua i think we both have too much time on our hands

Comment

It seems the 65th need help with the GOH this year from other units.
              I hope thats not intended as a low blow.
              "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
              - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

So whats the details of the parade???
                Hi.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                  On topic though..... There's only 4 or 5 doing the Easter Parade from my Coy, due to lack of No. 1's & the amount of people gone Integrated, i'm not sure if they can still do parades with our Coy.
                  That seems to be standard across the Reserve now. PDF had to be called in in Limerick to bolster up the few Reservists that were available for the Paddys day parade this year.

It was going to be a big embarrassment to the Minister of Defence in election year when it was realised that his own home city could not produce even a full company of troops for the parade.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                    You are wrong there. There was as many RDF available this year as there were in previous years. The Minister specifically dictated that the military element parade in Limerick would be vastly bigger than in previous years, hence the PDF were detailed to attend.

So you are saying there was close on 250 Reservists marching this year? or that 250 were available. I remember not too long ago there were 2 full rifle companies in the parade and a composite company made up of medics and SM. This year, units were practically begged for bodies and a mere 110 could be pulled together on the day INCLUDING recruits.

The reason the Minister "specifically dictated that the military element parade in Limerick would be vastly bigger than in previous years" was so he wouldn't look like a complete plonker, the minister who had fiddled while the RDF disappeared.

Comment

From my memory(and I witnessed many of the limerick parades from both sides) in the past the initial RDF Company consisted of troops from 2 coys 14th Inf Bn, and 1 Coy 22nd Inf Bn. One of the coys of the 14th went to a Different Corps, and appeared in this years parades as part of the wheeled element, and the coy from the 22nd are now part of the same unit as those in the 14th who didnt become gunners. The "Corps company" usually consisted of Air Defence, the largest of the Corps, along with Transport and medics. AD were also part of the wheeled element this year. Remember too that there was many not required for the parade. The decision was taken from on high that there would be a PDF coy, an Army reserve Coy and a naval reserve coy, with associated Wheeled element. Sticking a second smaller Army Reserve Coy in the middle of this would just have looked wrong.

There was plenty on parade, thats all that matters. The days of Paddys Day being a "show of force" for the RDF are gone. Many of the deadweight that used to only be seen on this parade, are thankfully also gone.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Still, nothing like doing a parade or guard of honour on O'Connell St., DUBLIN!

Comment

Yeah there is. Doing it on the Main thoroughfare of any of the Nations cities and towns. The Easter Rising happened in Cork too you know....

Comment

Really what happened down in Cork in 1916

I thought that there was mobilisation then

the countermanded orders and then the heading home for dinner of the lads

Tom Kent was shot in Cork for his part

but what else happened down there
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I suspect people just ran around shouting "boyo" alot..

Comment

The Kent Family was about it really.

Comment

Working...
                                X