No announcement yet.

Irish Parachute Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From this month's An Cosantoir it looks like the DF is trying to get more into military parachuting

Comment

Great to see a strong Army Reserve presence in the form of

Sgt Padraig Costello (32Bn) Instructor?

Cpl Dave Fanning (31 Cav) Student - although he has over 48 jumps according to the article.
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

We find that it is very difficult to maintain a Parachute capability in the Reserves; we have one Reserve unit with a Parachute role, and they are situated close to the Para School. Their role is mainly a support one, to provide manpower to the School when needed.

The difficulties in maintaining an operational para capability is related to the amount of work it takes to gain enough experience to be able to attend jumpmaster, then Para instructor, courses and keeping current in these specialties. The unit also needs riggers, packers, DZ controllers (and/or pathfinders), and access to air or avn assets to jump from. Troops have to be trained in rigging and jumping the different non-standard loads: radios, support weapons, winter kit, etc...

We keep most of our parachute capability in the Regular Force, and even that is sometimes difficult to maintain.
        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post

Cpl Dave Fanning (31 Cav) Student - although he has over 48 jumps according to the article.
          Dave Fanning is an excellent bloke, jumped with him a few times.... he's got a shed load of jumps under his belt, mostly rounds so possibly more experienced as a round jumper than most PDF members.
          But there's no danger
          It's a professional career
          Though it could be arranged
          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
          If you're out of luck you're out of work
          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
            Dave Fanning is an excellent bloke, jumped with him a few times.... he's got a shed load of jumps under his belt, mostly rounds so possibly more experienced as a round jumper than most PDF members.
            I know. I've seen some of his exploits :wink:
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
              A true gent and he deserved to get that course. Has good round experience to bring to Army parachuting.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                Doesn't the DF jump Squares?
                yes but the recent course was rounds
                But there's no danger

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                  Doesn't the DF jump Squares?
                  Buy the latest An Cosantoir and read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post

Padraig Costello is a bit of an authority on parachuting (last year he was the Safety & Training Advisor of PCM and he was the chief instructor at IPC) and a member of the Black Knights I think

Those 48 jumps would be civilian jumps obviously.
                    Last edited by DeV; 6 November 2009, 23:12.

Comment

Well done to dave on getting tied up in this. Should be borne in mind that he and the other guys in volved have funded all their own jumps, thats dedication.

Dave didn't join the reserve to do paracchuting as a freebee but is now using his skills in the DF to further thr discipline, Dave is also a very capable orienteerer... hell of a nice bloke.
                      Last edited by DeV; 7 November 2009, 18:43.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

It's not sold over here either - but they have these things called subscriptions. :wink:

Got mine on Friday - some good stuff - recognised one of the officers in the Ogham Stone bit.
                        There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Padraig Costello is a bit of an authority on parachuting (last year he was the Safety & Training Advisor of PCM and he was the chief instructor at IPC) and a member of the Black Knights I think

Those 48 jumps would be civilian jumps obviously.
                          Padraig Costello has a lot more than 48 jumps. He's well up in the thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
                            Padraig Costello has a lot more than 48 jumps. He's well up in the thousands.
                            the 48 refer to dave fanning
                            But there's no danger

Comment

A parachute nut told me that doctrine in some countries is being developed to use of tandem jumping capability to bring non parachute qualified personnel into remote areas or for Spec Ops missions. Doctors, interpreters, technicians etc. I didn't believe him, do I owe him an apology?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                                A parachute nut told me that doctrine in some countries is being developed to use of tandem jumping capability to bring non parachute qualified personnel into remote areas or for Spec Ops missions. Doctors, interpreters, technicians etc. I didn't believe him, do I owe him an apology?
                                Yes you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X