Irish Parachute Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Parachute Capacity

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but living in Australia there is not that much information of the Irish Defence Force here. But I am interested to find if the Irish have any parachute/airborne capacity. If so what training/unit is carried out by the Irish Defence Force to maintain this capacity.

couldnt tell you but no doubt one of our more informed gents will. i think it might be just the rangers though that do but with regards who and how i would only be guessing. maybe the UK forces??????

where abouts in Australia, i'm in nsw
    Last edited by Guest; 20 April 2007, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron View Post
      Sorry for my lack of knowledge but living in Australia there is not that much information of the Irish Defence Force here. But I am interested to find if the Irish have any parachute/airborne capacity. If so what training/unit is carried out by the Irish Defence Force to maintain this capacity.
      The Defence Forces has a very limited parachute capability. The only unit that does any Parachute training (as a unit) are the Army Ranger Wing (Special Forces) and then it is only a small part of the unit.

Parachuting by the rest of the army is on an individual basis - some are trained in sports parachuting (With a small military aspect to it) but not on a unit basis. Ireland lacks the aircraft to have a mass parachute drop. Parachuting is not a role of the army and it is seen more as a confidence building role than anything else.

The Army is organised on conventional military lines providing a sufficiently flexible structure to carry out all the roles assigned by Government. The Army is a standing force and provides the primary capabilities for joint military operations at home and combined military Peace Support Operations abroad.

Comment

there's a change a coming!!
        OH YES BOYS.....I'M BACK AND I'M PACKING

Comment

The old 23 INF BN were our Para unit. They've been integrated into 34 INF BN now so who knows

Comment

Originally posted by dclimk View Post
            do go on my man!
            But there's no danger
            It's a professional career
            Though it could be arranged
            With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
            If you're out of luck you're out of work
            We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by dclimk View Post
              reservist officers are going to create a custom made parachute involving the sam browne belt as harness and DPM wet gear as the canopy, they will only be allowed do this whilst wearing the Dutch Para wings
              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                reservist officers are going to create a custom made parachute involving the sam browne belt as harness and DPM wet gear as the canopy, they will only be allowed do this whilst wearing the Dutch Para wings
                Now there's the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
                  Now there's the truth.
                  There are those that talk, and those that do!!
                  OH YES BOYS.....I'M BACK AND I'M PACKING

Comment

More parasexualism.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                      And using their swords as ground contact detectors during night drops.
                      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Hopefully recognition that "parachuting" in the Defence Forces is a sport, not a military activity. Scrap the "wings" and all the BS that goes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          More parasexualism.
                          We are delightfully tacky and completely unrefined bunch of deviants.
                          When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                          All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

I second that.Jumpers do not abide by the more normal conventions of adult life and as such are great fun to be around!
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              I second that.Jumpers do not abide by the more normal conventions of adult life and as such are great fun to be around!
                              regards
                              GttC
                              Especially the student oh joygasm, h no wait a second orgasm that thats the word Im looking for, a big deciding factor in DClimk's setting up of a club in UL.
                              Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Working...
                              X