RDF Cooks/Chefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Cooks/Chefs

Having joined the FCA over 29 years ago.........(I know the words sad, get and life spring to some peoples' minds)

An observation I've had for a long time is that for the RDF to be somewhat independent of the PDF they need their own drivers and cooks.

Now, I don't want to discuss the driver aspect, it's the catering aspect I want to discuss.

An example:
    Last summer my Unit when to a barracks not occupied full time by the PDF. Consequently, three PDF chiefs had to attend the camp.

Now I don't know if they wanted to be there, a substantial distance (150+ miles) from their home base, given their family committments, hobbies, etc. They were just following orders in any event.

Would it make sense if there was an RDF catering course leading to a qualification that would enable RDF members to assist the chiefs ie work under their supervision. This would hopefully lead to a reduction on the number of PDF needed. Presumably a lot of PDF members don't want to be away from home, etc, for weekends, extended periods, doing jobs that the RDF should be able and willing to do themselves.

Now I appreciate the level of training a PDF chief gets and that it would not be possible or practicle to giva an RDF member the same. That is why I said above "assist".

The course might cover H & S in the kitchen, food hygiene and handling, basic preparation and serving. In the case above it might be possible to reduce the PDF numbers from 3 to 2 ( a 33 & 1/3 reduction in manpower, I bet the DOD would love that!!!!)

Any ideas?
    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
    Who is number 1?

There's a chef in my company.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

We have two RDf chefs.One qualified in the NS and the other did the catering course with theRDF some time ago..I'm sure there are appointments for such in some units.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Would it make sense if there was an RDF catering course leading to a qualification that would enable RDF members to assist the chiefs ie work under their supervision.
        There is.
        With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

There is indeed a catering course, leads to various paths; If you are a cook you will never lack for friends or mandays.

We used to offer it most years, normally means a transfer to HQ Coy once qualified.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Since the reorg the only appointments for cooks are in the Catering Pl of the Camp Staff Coy in the Logs Bn. They get Tech pay only if they are in that Pl.
            "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

There was a course run, I think about 10 years ago for personnel wishing to become cooks. The course was over subscribed but reps were taken from all units.

Sadly as time passed only the cooks/chefs in the batalions remained.

Good God after 29 years and you had to ask!!

Then again 29 years ago many of the army "cooks" were mainly "Fitter-Turners"

They fit all ingredients into a pot and turn it into sh...
              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

we have 3 Chief's in our Unit, CPO's ie

Comment

Good God after 29 years and you had to ask!!

Some Orderly Rooms operate the mushroom policy - keep them in the dark and feed them....................... 29 years is a short time frame in the life of an Orderly Room!!

I'm a firm beliver that NCO's should be out training/instructing and not hanging around the Orderly Room brown nosing etc.

Sorry about the spelling folks.
                  I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                  Who is number 1?

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                    There's a chef in my company.
                    No, there are 2 cooks
                    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                      There are RDF cooks.

And by chiefs, I presume you mean chefs. We don't allow Indians in this army.
                      There's the Chief of Staff. And the NS has Chief Petty Officers. And the DF is an equal opportunities employer so Indians may indeed join.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                        There are RDF cooks.

And by chiefs, I presume you mean chefs. We don't allow Indians in this army.
                        What about Cowboys?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          What about Cowboys?
                          We have loads of them.
                          sigpic
                          Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The RDF has "supposed" to be self sufficient with regard to cooks, drivers and admin since the reorg of the PDF.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              The RDF has "supposed" to be self sufficient with regard to cooks, drivers and admin since the reorg of the PDF.
                              Where the hell did it say we were to have our own cooks?

Comment

Working...
                              X