Bren or GPMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOps.

Are we unique in the DF in training on three different types of light machine gun?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yes quite...and up to a couple of years ago..the .5 was also in our vast armoury....check out the manual on the AMLs..you will even find reference to the AAT52.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Yeah, saw that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          OOps.

Are we unique in the DF in training on three different types of light machine gun?
          Being the Bren, the GPMG and, err...little help?

Comment

MAG 80 as mounted on AMLs....different beast to ground mag in the details and drills....
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

...and thus an MMG, not an LMG.

Comment

The manufacturers Fn like to call it the MAG58Coax....seems like the same animal ok.....yeah MMG would be closer to the truth.

Comment

Oh for a second there i thought this thread was called what is the FCA firing as a SEC SP WPN not Rank Markings!
                  WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

Originally posted by Komsomol View Post
                    "new RDF" ?

Personally i was trained on the bren as a two star only about 2 years ago.

Now in integrated its all the gpmg alright.

So, my assumption is yes, the bren is decommission from the RDF, but then i hear of shooting competitions in the rdf where the bren is still used sooo... who knows.
                    Ah right, so its in still to a point... Im trained on the Bren and the GPMG, and the bren is more accurate and jams less, but the GMPG cannot be denied its place as a good FSG weapon.. as the wall of led is laid down more efficently by the GPMG... its a good support weapon for sure... sustained fire feature is a real plus in defensive formations also... Bren really loose out there...
                    "There is nothing braver then the heart of a volunteer" Lt. Col. Dolittle, USAC, 1941.

Comment

Hi all
                      Are there any elder Cav types on here who fired the .30 browning on the Unimog APCs?
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Browning was only on issue to PDF cav..when the RDF took them over they were fitted with Brens..had the mounting specially made up by the enginneers.

Most of the Unimogs ended up in Clonmel with the intention of being canabilised to make one ortwo good cars.An enterprising fitter corporal got them all operational and as aresult the £rd cav had the most number of operational armoured vehicles in the FCA until they were replaced by two AMLs..a CS car and a HB car.One of which was subsequaently converted ..the CS car to cary the manroy .5 and thus became the first FCA unit to be issued with the .5...One car was then disposed of too the Howth transport museum I believe while the other car may have become a 20mm car..but I've never seen it since it left Clonmel.I have some photos of the HB cars taken in Coolmoney but our HB car was never seen there..so I have to assume the museum thing is right..while the other was converted or scrapped

Funnily enough one car suffered with an airlock in the fuel system for years and the other car had three engine replacements over a 10 year period.

the petroil engine AMLs were anightmare in traffic as the aircooled engined over heated and the plugs oiled up..but on the open road while they were underpowered they were quite good to go.Very distinctive sound..but idling and low speed was not their forte..unlike the diesel conversion where you just get in and go..very reliable.

cars being the CAV generic term for AML

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                          The BREN is still the section FSG weapon in the RDF
                          BUT the Bren is not on the 2-3* syllabus. The GPMG is.

Comment

mag no question about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin. B View Post
                              Is the Bren the LMG with the curved magazine on top or the box at the side?
                              There is an "ammo box" which takes a quarter of a belt that is fitted to the GPMG. Bet your local CQMS has them.
                              The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                              (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                                BUT the Bren is not on the 2-3* syllabus. The GPMG is.
                                yes it is, for rdf inf, otherwise why the hell did i do it last year
                                courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Working...
                                X